Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

I would like to pull the trigger on a new lense

I would like to fill the gap below 50mm. I have been studying the threads on this forum and others
    What I came up with choices between
    Sigma 24-70 f 2.8
    18-70 f2.8
    Tamron28-75 f2.8 EX DG
    Pentax smcp-DA 16-50 f.2.8 ED AL (if)

I would like to get the best bang for the buck. doesn't every one

I realize all of these are fast lenses. I would like to take pictures indoors with out a flash if possible. I would like some opinions on this pro or con My point and shoot camera is dying which I generally use for these kind of photos. The next thing for the lens would be out door landscapes and people pictures, flowers,etc.
    I suppose I could use a slower lens for outdoor photos. Also thought of getting a prime?
    Any and all opinions are welcome Pete
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

Re: I would like to pull the trigger on a new lense

Pete,

I've been looking at similar lenses myself, and when time and money permits, I'll be buying the Tamron 28-75.

I've heard some really bad copies of the Pentax 16-50 DA* lens, like, really bad!

I don't think the Sigma's are too bad, I've heard too many good stories about the Tamron 28-75 to not own this lens. I realise my copy of the lens may not be as good as anyone elses, but it does have a good reputation!.

Dan.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

When I received my first Tamron 28-75, the pictures were WAY too soft. I sent it back for a replacement, and my new one is tack-sharp. I recommend this one. I don't have experience with any of the others.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Another question ? I know what a macro lense.is or what it is suppose to do but.....
    Is it useful for taking photos at a distant. What are the limitations of a macro lense ?
    K10d pentax 50-200 f4-5.6 sigma 100-300 f4 sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc macro Kenko AF 1.5 DG

Kentucky Wildlife

Hey Pete, I've been considering the Pentax DA* 16-50. Anything with the * is top of their line, and relatively expensive, so I'd like to know what you've heard?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteE
    Another question ? I know what a macro lense.is or what it is suppose to do but.....
    Is it useful for taking photos at a distant. What are the limitations of a macro lense ?
    A dedicated macro lens won't have limitations on use with objects that aren't close up. Macro just means that it has the ability to focus at a 1:1 ratio. You can still use it like a normal lens.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

I have the da* 16-50 and it hardly ever comes off my camera. I also have a friend that shoots semi pro and loves his 16-50.

I haven't heard anything about bad lenses, but I am sure that if you buy through a reputable supplier any problems would easily be worked out through warranty. I have heard of people purchasing grey market lenses that are less than spectacular and that really comes down to not always looking for that rock bottom price on everything.

Thread Information