Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Thread: Pentax ist DL

Pentax ist DL

I have a Pentax ist DL and I would like to know if someone would recommend an exterior flash that works well with a 100-300 Zoom.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Pentax ist DL

Hi Rene, I also have a *ist DL, and would be interested in the answer to this as well. However, being new to photography, I guess this might be a dumb question, but, what do you mean by "an exterior flash". I know what the "hot shoe" flashes are, but don't know if it is the same as "exterior" flashes.
    Also, since we Pentax people are few and far between, it may take a while to get an answer to this... :-(.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

When I said exterior flash, I mean't a hot shoe flash.

Rene`

Pentax has some flashes for digital cameras and also Sunpak makes several for digital cameras. As to which one to use, try the reviews.

If you are wanting flash at the 300mm end you will want a strong flash.

What are you wanting to shoot? Any thing specific or just general use? I recommend a swivel/bounce flash for softer lighting, or a strobo-frame type mount to get the flash from being directly over the lens.

None of the above I have for my camera (also an *ist DL) so I can not make any recomendations only suggestions.

Good luck, and as Ken stated, keep us in the loop with what you find out as we are going down this same road someday ourselves.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

hows this for a question, how the hell do you pronounce *ist DL. is it, "asterick i-s-t-d-l" or what? lol, ive always wondered that. never heard it mentioned either. just "the pentax body"...

I think Photo John asked a pentax rep and they said something like star ist DL, but they weren't sure either.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

LOL!

its a mystery haha! pentax rep doesnt even know lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    hows this for a question, how the hell do you pronounce *ist DL. is it, "asterick i-s-t-d-l" or what? lol, ive always wondered that. never heard it mentioned either. just "the pentax body"...
    I normally try not to include the * when I type out or say the name. Dunno why I did above.

I just say "Pentax ist DL" in conversation.

It's an Asian thing to name things weird that sound like english words (tho thats not the case with the ist, I don't
    think), from my year in Korea I saw lots of it. Of course I can't remember any of them these years past.

EDIT
    Oh, I meant to say the DL manual has the AF360FGZ in all it's flash documentation.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

ahsan

Thread Information