Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Pentax *ist DL / DS Differences?

I'm contemplating a DSLR purchase soon (Canon A1 currently) as I am tired of scanning film!!

I'm looking at either the Nikon D50 or one of the Pentax ist models.

I've searched and compared the DS and DL on several sites and have not found a comparison where they differ to much. Of course the comparisons don't take about buffer size, frames per second, start up time, shutter lag etc.

So I ask you all what are the major differences that warrant the price difference? If you know a good comparison site that goes a little more in depth I'd appreciate that info too.

Thanks,

Tim
    What!? No spellchecker?

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Pentax *ist DL / DS Differences?

Hi Cyberlord...below is a cut and paste from the brochure on the Pentax site. On the left is the DS2 and on the right is the DL (which I recently purchased). Based on this...I see little or no difference except weight. I made the purchase based on my wifes having tried out all the models in these prices. She chose hers by the way it felt and the menu button placement for her. I chose so we could learn the same units at the same time. I love mine and there are things I wish were better on them, but for my needs, they are great. I also have a Nikon Coolpix 8400 point and shoot.
    Hope this helps...Ken

Type

TTL autofocus, auto-exposure digital SLR digital-still camera with stainless steel chassis construction and built-in retractable P-TTL auto flash.

Type

TTL autofocus, auto-exposure digital SLR camera with stainless steel chassis construction and built-in retractable P-TTL auto flash.

Sensor

Interline interlace CCD with a primary color filter Size: 23.5mm x 15.7mm Total pixels: 6.31 megapixels Color Depth: 8 bit (JPEG) or 12 bit (RAW)

Sensor

Interline interlace CCD with a primary color filter Size: 23.5mm x 15.7mm Total pixels: 6.31 megapixels Color Depth: 8 bit (JPEG) or 12 bit (RAW)

Lens Conversion Factor

1.5X

Lens Conversion Factor

1.5X

Resolution (Recorded Pixels)

JPEG: [6M] 3008 x 2008, [4M] 2400 x 1600, [1.5M] 1536 x 1024, RAW: [6M] 3008 x 2008

Resolution (Recorded Pixels)

JPEG: [6M] 3008 x 2008, [4M] 2400 x 1600, [1.5M] 1536 x 1024, RAW: [6M] 3008 x 2008

ISO Sensitivity

Auto, Manual ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

ISO Sensitivity

Auto, Manual ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

File Formats

JPEG (Exif 2.21), RAW, DCF, DPOF, PRINT Image Matching III

File Formats

JPEG (Exif 2.21), RAW, DCF, DPOF, PRINT Image Matching III

Storage Media

SD memory card

Storage Media

SD memory card

Color Space

sRGB, Adobe RGB

Color Space

sRGB, Adobe RGB

Lens Mount

PENTAX KAF bayonet mount Usable Lenses: PENTAX KAF2, KAF, and KA mount lenses, Power zoom function not available K-mount lenses usable with restrictions S-mount lenses usable with adapter 67/645 lenses usable with adapter and with restrictions

Lens Mount

PENTAX KAF bayonet mount Usable Lenses: PENTAX KAF2, KAF, and KA-mount lenses, Power zoom function not available K-mount lenses usable with restrictions S-mount lenses usable with adapter 67/645 lenses usable with adapter and with restrictions

Focusing System

TTL phase-matching 11 point autofocus system (SAFOX VIII) with selectable spot AF, Applicable illumination range EV0 - EV19 (at Standard Output Sensitivity 200 with 50mm F1.4 lens), Mode: AF-single (with focus lock); Manual focus, AF-continuous 11 point, auto select or spot AF selectable

Focusing System

TTL phase-matching 3 point autofocus system (SAFOX VIII) with selectable spot AF, Applicable illumination range EV0 - EV19 (at Standard Output Sensitivity 200 with 50mm F1.4 lens), Mode: AF-single (with focus lock); Manual focus, AF-continuous available when you select Action mode, Wide or spot AF selectable

Exposure Control

Metering System: TTL open-aperture 16-segment metering (coupled with lens and AF information) Metering Mode: Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering Metering Range: EV 1 - 21.5 (at Standard Output Sensitivity 200 with 50mm F1.4 lens)

Exposure Control

Metering System: TTL open-aperture 16-segment metering (coupled with lens and AF information) Metering Mode: Multi-segment metering, Center-weighted metering, Spot metering Metering Range: EV 1 - 21.5 (at Standard Output Sensitivity 200 with 50mm F1.4 lens)

Exposure Compensation ±2 EV (1/2EV steps or 1/3EV steps)

Exposure Compensation ±2 EV (1/2EV steps or 1/3EV steps)

Auto Bracketing

3 frames ±1.5EV (0.5EV steps) or ±1.0EV (0.3EV steps)

Auto Bracketing

3 frames ±1.5EV (0.5EV steps) or ±1.0EV (0.3EV steps)

Magnified Image Playback

12X

Magnified Image Playback

12X

Digital Filter

B&W, Sepia, Soft (three-level amount adjustable), Slim, Wide

Digital Filter

B&W, Sepia, Soft (three-level amount adjustable), Slim, Wide

White Balance

Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, Fluorescent Light (W, D, N), Flash, Manual setting

White Balance

Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, Fluorescent Light (W, D, N), Flash, Manual setting

Shutter

Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter, Speed: 1/4000 - 30 seconds and bulb

Shutter

Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter, Speed: 1/4000 - 30 seconds and bulb

Drive Modes

Single-frame advance, continuous advance, self-timer, auto bracket and remote control

Drive Modes

Single-frame advance, continuous advance, self-timer, auto bracket and remote control

Continuous Shooting

Approx. 2.8fps, JPEG (up to 5 consecutive frames), RAW (up to 3 consecutive frames)

Continuous Shooting

Approx. 2.8fps, JPEG (up to 5 consecutive frames), RAW (up to 3 consecutive frames)

Optical Viewfinder

Glass Pentaprism. Focusing screen: Natural-Bright-Matte, Field of view: 95%. Magnification: 0.95X Diopter adjustment: -2.5 - +1.5m-1

Optical Viewfinder

Pentamirror. Focusing screen: Natural-Bright-Matte II, Field of view: 96%. Magnification: 0.85X (with 50m F1.4 at infinity), Diopter adjustment: -2.5 - +1.5m-1

LCD Monitor

2.5 inch, low-temperature polysilicon TFT color LCD monitor with backlight (approx. 210,000 pixels)

LCD Monitor

2.5 inch, low-temperature polysilicon TFT color LCD monitor with backlight (approx. 210,000 pixels)

Built-in Flash

Series-control retractable P-TTL pop-up flash Guide number: 15.6 (Standard Output Sensitivity 200/m), Angle of view coverage: 28mm wide-angle (equivalent to 35mm), Hot shoe, sync-speed: 1/180 sec

Built-in Flash

Series-control retractable P-TTL pop-up flash Guide number: 15.6 (Standard Output Sensitivity 200/m), Angle of view coverage: 28mm wide-angle (equivalent to 35mm), Hot shoe, sync-speed: 1/180 sec

Interfaces

USB 2.0 (HI-SPEED), Video out (Compatible with NTSC and PAL formats), SD Memory Card, PictBridge compatible

Interfaces

USB 2.0 (HI-SPEED), Video out (Compatible with NTSC and PAL formats), SD Memory Card, PictBridge compatible

Power Sources

Four AA (Lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable Ni-MH) batteries, or two CR-V3 Lithium batteries Optional AC adapter also available

Power Sources

Four AA (Lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable Ni-MH) batteries, or two CR-V3 Lithium batteries Optional AC adapter also available

Dimensions

4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6 inches (125 x 92.5 x 67mm)

Dimensions

4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6 inches (125 x 92.5 x 66mm)

Weight

17.8 oz. (505g) without battery and SD memory card

Weight

16.6 oz. (470g) without battery and SD memory card

Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

From what I see here, the difference is in the viewfinder. A second generation focusing screen, a slightly wider field of view (less magnification) and implies a brighter overall image.

Even if the viewfinder had a brigher image I'm not sure it's worth the price difference.

Now to decide between the DL or a Nikon D50.

That will take a trip to Best Buy (no photo stores around here) this weekend to see how each feels.

Thanks for the info,

Tim

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

There was a side by side comparison of the *ist, D50, Canon 350D, KM Maxxum 5D and the Olympus Evolt E-500 in the March issue of Popular Photography and imaging. They rated them in 4 categories. 1 image quality, 2 Control, 3 Ease of use, 4 system flexibility. The Pentax rated below the Nikon in every category except for easy of use. You should see if you can find the issue to read about the test in more detail.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cyberlord
    From what I see here, the difference is in the viewfinder. A second generation focusing screen, a slightly wider field of view (less magnification) and implies a brighter overall image.

Even if the viewfinder had a brigher image I'm not sure it's worth the price difference.

Now to decide between the DL or a Nikon D50.

That will take a trip to Best Buy (no photo stores around here) this weekend to see how each feels.

Thanks for the info,

Tim
    One other difference I found between the DS2 and DL...the DS2 has an 11 point focusing system and the DL only has a 3 point system.
    All of the cameras that Michael mentioned will be great buys...but it really is going to come down to what YOU like the best. Go play with them...then choose.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

hows this for a question, how the hell do you pronounce *ist DL. is it, "asterick i-s-t-d-l" or what? lol, ive always wondered that. never heard it mentioned either. just "the pentax body"...
    ahsan

I have a Pentax ist DL and I would like to know if someone would recommend an exterior flash that works well with a 100-300 Zoom.
    ahsan

Thread Information