Pentax and K-Mount Cameras Forum

Pentax Cameras Forum For discussing Pentax cameras and all K-Mount SLRs, including Pentax and Samsung digital SLRs. Your Pentax Cameras Forum moderator is ken1953.
Pentax Digital SLR Reviews >>
Samsung Digital SLR Reviews >>
Pentax 35mm SLR Reviews >>
All Pentax Product Reviews >>

Boy am I Disappointed.

Well, I purchased my *ist dl in august of last year. After two weeks, the usb port blew on me. I figured, aright, whatever, ill get a card reader and ignore it, and send it in to get fixed eventually. Two months later, my battery amount indicator started acting up. New batteries would show up as nearly empty, or quite a few times, would show up as completely empty and wouldn't turn on. Fine. It was annoying, but most of the time it worked, so I kept going with it. Two months after that, it was completely hit or miss. Shortly after that, my hot shoe started acting up. Well, given that two and a half months later, I would be going on a large photography journey, I sent it in to get fixed. A month and a half in, I finally get a letter from pentax saying that they're out of parts to fix it and it'll take longer. Three weeks later, I got it back, supposedly "fixed". Open the box, hooked the usb cable up, that worked. Great. Battery? It turned on. Awesome. Two days later came the time to use the flash. Hot Shoe still doesn't work. So i figured, lets use the pop-up. Oh wait, looks like pentax broke it. So I got my camera back more broken then it was before, and now i;m stuck at the point where it wont turn on again. ARGHHHH. Now im just hoping that pentax finds me a replacement and calls me back within the next 2 hours. Boy am i disappointed.

Update: So, after talking to someone higher up, a camera is being express mailed to me and is being upgraded. Thanks pentax.
    Last edited by LoudPicture; 07-02-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Re: Boy am I Disappointed.

Hope the new one is perfect. Pentax has been doing a great job of designing innovative new cameras and I'd hate to see their success spoiled by bad QA and/or poor service. Sounds like they're taking some action and doing the right thing, though. Have you posted a review for your camera yet? If you have, please post a new one, detailing your whole experience. Wait until you get a chance to test the new camera, though. And if you haven't posted one, please do. We need more Pentax digital SLR reviews.

Write a review >>

Thanks for telling us all about how it's going. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Pentax!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Pentax Forum Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with you DL...I own 2 of them and other than getting things behind the mirror once one each, I've had no probs with mine. My camera currently has over 100,000 shots on it, and it has never skipped a beat...the wife's DL has about 20,000 shots...same story...All in all...I think you just got a lemon and sounds like Pentax is stepping up to the plate. I think that is all any of us can ask, because, no matter how hard someone tries, there will always be a lemon or 2 in the bunch. Better luck with the new one...let us know how it works out for you, please.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Oh boy am i pissed. Ups just delivered the new camera. Guess what? Defective. Another Lemon. Sure, there can be two lemons in a bunch, but don't give them both to the same guy. This is ridiculous. Im not sure what to do. Ive called pentax, and they dont know what to do either. Im leaving on sunday for the next month and a half on a photo expedition, without a camera. ARGH. Ideas?

p.s. why cant i edit my original post?

New k100d arrived at my doorstep this morning. AND IT WORKS. W00t. Thanks pentax.

Pentax Forum Moderator

fantastic LP...congrats on the 100d...please make sure you post some of your upcoming shoot.

As for your editing your posts, the system is set up so that you only have a short period of time to make changes. I personnally don't know exactly what or why...Photo John would have to give you better details. If there is something you desperately need to change...I can do it for you...if it's just a new comment, please just post a reply.

Thanx and good luck on your shoot.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I had a very similar experience with my 1st Konica Minolta digital camera...if I hadn't checked the serial no. I would've been sure they were sending me back the worst non-working camera they had.
    I started out with a bad viewfinder and ended up receiving it back with the same issue, plus a new problem, until I received my camera back completely dead...finally, accepting nothing but the top person's contact info,tha I could get a name for and sending only one email, I received a brand new (2 generations newer) minolta...
    I would probably have continued using minoltas because of that last camera...(so nice to use and super quality)...but the sony deal just wasn't my cup of tea...I knew as soon as I picked one up, as it felt like a light, smooth plastic housing with delicate electronics enlosed (like sooo many new cameras do (rebel?) ...
    I would have started my 'serious' digital endeavors with a pentax, but would 'never' put myself thru the rechargeable AA battery fiasco again, after my early nikon (which was STOLEN!)...

I think the newest pentax is one of the best deals available, considering the quality for the money...and would like to see Pentax quieltly introduce a rock solid 'PRO' dSLR systemthat continually grows...I'm hoping to see them offering rugged photojournalists', sling around, get dirty dSLR's that you could hose off the dirt at the end of the day...all the necc bells & whistles with the build quality of an old japanese K1000 & matches the outstanding quality-value of their legendary lenses...There's just a romance about shooting with a pentax & the owners usually exude it in their images...
    Last edited by orion12; 07-12-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoudPicture
    Update: So, after talking to someone higher up, a camera is being express mailed to me and is being upgraded. Thanks pentax.
    Well, That's comforting to hear. I'm glad they're going to take care of this for you, and I hope the replacement lives on for a long time after. :thumbsup:
    -Bruce

Thread Information