Olympus Cameras and Four Thirds System Digital SLRs Forum

Olympus Cameras Forum Discuss Olympus film and digital cameras as well as Panasonic and Leica Four Thirds System digital SLRs - forum moderator is Greg McCary.
Olympus E-System Digital SLR Reviews >>
Panasonic Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Leica Four Thirds Digital SLR Reviews >>
Official Four Thirds Web Page >>
Olympus OM-System 35mm SLR reviews >>
Olympus Cameras History Page >>

E510 and shooting RAW

Did olympus change the plugin you need to see raw files with Adobe Bridge? When I shoot raw with the 500 theres no issues.. but I shot Raw yesterday with the 510 and the raw files will not display by any of the software I have on my system that read the 500's raw files with ease.

***EDIT** Specifically I am talking about CS2. I do not own CS3 nor am I willing to pay for the upgrade as I don't use all the features on CS2 yet.
    Last edited by Jaedon; 11-06-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Re: E510 and shooting RAW

The RAW file of the 510 is different from the 500. I had to update my copy of Lightroom to get it to see my files. I don't have CS2 since my computer crash but am certain you need an update. The E3 will be different too from what I am reading. It's a common problem as camera systems are upgraded that the files will change.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg. I have yet to figure out how to use Lightroom but it is looking like my best option.

Equipment list:
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV

Upgrade Camera Raw?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedon
    Thanks Greg. I have yet to figure out how to use Lightroom but it is looking like my best option.
    Can't you just upgrade Adobe Camera Raw? I didn't think you had to upgrade Photoshop to upgrade the RAW file conversion capabilities. That said, Lightroom is a wonderful and powerful program and in the year or so that I've been using it, it's become an integral part of my workflow. If you're looking for a less expensive alternative, try BreezeBrowser. I've used BreezeBrowser for simple RAW conversions for years and it's always worked well for me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I tried to upgrade the camera raw file but it is not compatible with CS2 only CS3 (yay Adobe for screwing that one up). I managed to get a pirate copy of CS3 to see if I could make it work and I can now use the camera raw tool through PS CS3 BUT the camera raw plugin doesn't seem to work with Bridge CS3 for some reason.

Still experimenting.

Equipment list:
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedon
    I tried to upgrade the camera raw file but it is not compatible with CS2 only CS3 (yay Adobe for screwing that one up). I managed to get a pirate copy of CS3 to see if I could make it work and I can now use the camera raw tool through PS CS3 BUT the camera raw plugin doesn't seem to work with Bridge CS3 for some reason.

Still experimenting.

Your right it won't work in CS2. Here is a link that shows the support for the 510.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3736
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The Camera Raw 4.2 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS3 or versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Macintosh or Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Windows. The latest versions of the Camera Raw plug-in available for previous Adobe software titles are listed below:

Windows

* Photoshop CS2: Camera Raw 3.7
    * Photoshop Elements 4.0: Camera Raw 3.7
    * Photoshop Elements 3.0: Camera Raw 3.6
    Yup. And version 3.7 works nicely with the E500 but not the E510 unfortunately.

After installing and trying out CS3 I noticed that the bridge does not function as it did in CS2 and you can no longer see the RAW files in the browser but when you double click them it does open the camera raw tool and allow you to make adjustments before opening the file into CS3.

I managed to save the files and do what needed doing processing wise. But unfortunately this means I will only be shooting SHQ with my 510 until I figure out a permanent solution. CS3 is way too much of a processor hog for my system.

Equipment list:
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV

I understand the HOG statement. Lightroom and CS2 at the same time on my computer slows it down quit a bit and I have a fairly good computer. I don't have CS2 anymore for that fact. I use Lightroom and PS7. Short of doing an HDR I can do anything that I really want. You could always use Olympus Master 2. It is much better than Olympus's first try at software. I can't speak highly enough of Lightroom. It. IMO is the best prcessing software for RAW files.

Sony a99/a7R

Can you have Lightroom as a stand-alone app?

Quote Originally Posted by tbob
    Can you have Lightroom as a stand-alone app?
    Yes and No, You can do a lot with Lightroom. Crop, add contrast, saturation, remove spots and red eye.There are various presets for aged photos, high contrast B&W's, portraits ect.
    But you need PhotoShop if you want to clone, layer shots, or do HDRs.

Sony a99/a7R

Try downloading your files to Master; then pick them up into Photoshop for processing.

Love, Vjim

Quote Originally Posted by VJIM
    Try downloading your files to Master; then pick them up into Photoshop for processing.

Love, Vjim
    I have tried this with JPEG files and it works fine. However, if I load RAW to Master, wouldn't I have to convert them and THEN import them into Adobe and work on them as what? A TIFF or JPEG?

Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tbob
    I have tried this with JPEG files and it works fine. However, if I load RAW to Master, wouldn't I have to convert them and THEN import them into Adobe and work on them as what? A TIFF or JPEG?

Regards,

Tom
    By Adobe you mean Photoshop, yes, But if you mean Lightroom no. Lightroom is for handling RAW, Tiff, Jegs and all. But Photoshop will not handle a RAW file.

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information