PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What do you drive?

A recent post, and some recent car troubles have got me thinking about getting a newer vehicle. My current ride is a 1991 Ford F150 with 200,000 miles on it. I have been driving it since June 6, 1994, and it's getting pretty rough. It leaks oil and gas, the exhaust system is gone, the AC doesn't work, the vent/defrost fan only works on high, and the cruise stopped working about 10 years ago. The speedomoter stopped working this winter. The lights on the radio haven't worked in years, so I can't see what radio station I'm listening too. If for some reason I have to dissconect the battery, I loose all my presets, so resetting them is a pain in the butt. The last time I put a cassette in the player, it ate it. There are large holes rusted in the fenders, and through the bed of the truck. There is another hole in the bed of the truck, where the drive shaft came up through. That one actually lifted the back of the truck off of the ground. I bet none of you can say you pole vaulted your vehicle. The truck has survived 2 fires, it hit a deer, and had my buddies head go through the windsheid. I had a visor installed over the windsheild about 10 years ago. One of the mounting screws for that is stripped out, and now leaks when it rains. The visor sounds like it's going to rip right off of the truck when driving into a head wind. The ignition is broken, so I haven't used a key to start my truck in years. The door lock on the drivers side doesn't work, so if I do lock it, (almost never) I have to open it from the passenger side. Of course the power lock button on the passenger side doesn't work, so I have to reach over and unlock the other side. The paint is all scratched to hell from the dogs hanging over the sides when I take them with me. The Rear Anti-Lock break light came on a couple years ago, and the check engine light goes off and on all the time. The hood release is broken, so I have a cable hanging out the front of the hood so I can still open it.

There was one time I needed new tires, so I bought the cheapest set I could find, thinking that the tires would out live the truck. Four sets of new tires later, I'm still driving it. I have replaced the gas tank due to a fule leak (need to be replaced again), replaced the electronic hubs for the 4 wheel drive with lock outs, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the clutch, and had a shifting rod in the transmision repaird. Oh, and I did have to get the drive shaft fixed after the pole vaulting incident. I also have to replace the U-joints almost every year. Other than that, I haven't had to stick much money into since I bought it.

So, what are you driving?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: What do you drive?

I am not anything as bad off as you. I have a 1999 Subrau Outback Sport with about 79K miles on it. Yeah, I drive a lot! I spend about $1000/year on repairs. Late last year, that went for new brakes, some expensive pollution gizmo sensor, and a radiator flush. It's sort of beat up because of all the off-road stuff I did when living in Colorado.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Heheh Mike you crack me up

I have a 97 Mazda B4000 (same chassis as Ford Ranger) and it keeps running like a top. It's got 177,000 on it (just turned this morning) and it had 144,000 when I bought it 2 years ago. Since then, it really hasn't needed much. The guy before me didn't unlock the auto hubs by backing up so one of those needed to be replaced. The power windows quit but they were crappy aftermarket windows anyway. The ventilation system either blows hot or cold, nothing in between. I replaced the drive belt last Friday - the shop wanted over $100 to do it?! - and the shocks are leaking badly so I need to do those too. Oh! And I almost forgot, I got hit in the rear bumper a few months ago and somehow it broke the 4 wheel drive system? The insurance company didn't believe that a fender bender could break the 4WD so they wouldn't pay to fix it. Oh, and last Friday the volume up button on my radio broke so now I guess I need a whole new radio. Actually, I guess I really do need to fix some things on this truck

I wrote in Brian's thread earlier, the Car Guys (Click and Clack) said that it's always cheaper to keep something running than go out and buy something new. That being said, Michael I think you're pretty deserving of a new vehicle Treat yourself to something shiney and new.

For me, it looks like I'm going radio shopping
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I would love something shiny and new Rick, but 3 more payments and this one is all mine!!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I bet none of you can say you pole vaulted your vehicle.
    Mythbusters did a show on this recently!

Sounds like you got your money's worth (and then some) with your truck! Any vehicle can last just about forever - it's just a matter of how much time and money you want to put into keeping it running.

Since you asked, I just did an oil change in my '03 Jetta TDI (Diesel) because it turned 70k the other day. Easy to remember at 10k intervals. And I'm getting tired of the lousy mileage I get with winter fuel - I filled up today after 533 miles (didn't really need it, but close), took 14.1 gallons so that's only 38mpg. I've hit 53 with it but upper 40's is more typical. Oh, yeah - 180 miles of that tank had the kayak on the roof, and the rest was in-town, with winter blend that's probably alright. Done bragging...

Rick, the radio would be my #1 priority. When it warms up a little more I'll probably add Sirius satellite radio but it actually was snowing here today!

Well currently I am driving an '01 Durango with 80 000 Kilometers on it (45K miles?).

But since the wife has gone back to work after taking a year off for Maternity leave... I need a second smaller, non family type car. I am looking at an 01-03 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder . They are fun to drive and heck even though my summer is really only 2 months long, a convertible is always fun.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

'02 Chevy Tahoe with 90k miles on it. It's painful to fill the tank but nice when you need to seat 7 or haul stuff. I'd like to buy something rugged and 4x4 (not all wheel drive) with good MPG. I don't know if anyting like it exist. I want to garage the Tahoe and just use it for family drives with more than 5 passengers.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    I'd like to buy something rugged and 4x4 (not all wheel drive) with good MPG. I don't know if anyting like it exist.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for too. Let me know if you find anything. I'm kind of leaning towards the Jeep Liberty, but I haven't made up my mind yet.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

'89 Bronco..188,000 miles.
    air conditioning quit and the rear anti lock brake has been on for a while too.
    Had to fix the power windows once and have a new heater core.
    Other than brakes and oil changes no other maintenance. I should have washed it more. The paint is peeling.

Would love to have a jeep rubicon. There's a lake not far away that the bronco can't quite make it to with a canoe on top.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

1988 Volvo 240 Wagon, 174,000 miles

Manual 5 speed, Bilstein HD shocks all around, IPD swaybars and possibly sport exhaust to come.

Visual: E-Code headlights, 5 spoke rims

Utility: Thule Rack with Yakima Bike Racks, Towing package.

I've put a total of approximately $2050 into it, including the purchase price of the car.

It aint much, but I like it better than any sub $15,000 new car

And what good is this thread without pictures??

I'm currently rendering the inside picture of my vehicular object.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 156,000 miles on it.

I'll have to dig a pic up of it sometime.

It was a wedding present from my parents to me & my wife
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Mike - before seriously looking at the liberty go drive one ... me and the mrs. test drove one a few years back .. made it about 3 blocks and turned around ... just no room in the blasted thing ...

for me .. I had bought a brand new ford ranger in '92 pretty basic truck - no a/c - 2wd - 4.0 ltr v-6 - short box - regular cab .... I drove this truck until may of 05 ... it had an intake manifold gasket replaced / 1 injector / ball joints / 1 tranny rebuild / 1 altenator / 1 cab mount / multiple sets of tires / multiple brake jobs .... sold it to a friend of my brothers for 650 with 296,000 miles on it ... i have been told that the guy drives it daily to work ...

I sold it due to a deal from a friend which I bought his '99 ford explorer sport - loaded with it all except for no leather interior (which i hate anyways) only thing wrong with this truck is the light on the radio doesn't work so i have no clue what station it is on or what time it is .. but i have xm anyways so it really isn't an issue ... wierd thing is that over this past winter when it was really cold out .. the light came on ????????? then as the truck warmed up the light went back out again ....

but i got this truck with 86,000 miles on it and just has over 112,000 on it now ...
    Last edited by WsW-WYATT-EARP; 04-04-2007 at 10:51 PM.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Speaking of radios (hijack alert) what's the deal with the new HD radios? I went to Crutchfield and they only have 3 radios with an HD tuner built in. Is it too new yet?

I also drooled over the new $1000 Pioneer double-din Navigation/DVD Receiver. But will probably end up with the standard size $100 Pioneer Cd player with that weird black plastic piece they always give you to take up the extra room in your double din radio space when you install a standard size radio.

Oh, and speaking of ideal vehicles, I am waiting for a mid-sized gas/electric SUV with low-range 4WD to come out. THEN I'll be happy!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Mike - before seriously looking at the liberty go drive one ... me and the mrs. test drove one a few years back .. made it about 3 blocks and turned around ... just no room in the blasted thing ...
    Thanks for the info Ben. After looking at some photos yesterday, it looks like the back seat would be pretty much useless for anyone over 5' tall. I would love something a little bigger, but they come with extra cost too, like lower fuel milage...

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    only thing wrong with this truck is the light on the radio doesn't work so i have no clue what station it is on or what time it is .. but i have xm anyways so it really isn't an issue ... wierd thing is that over this past winter when it was really cold out .. the light came on ?????????
    This happened to me too. The radio lights wouldn't work for a few years, then one day, they were back on. They didn't last very long, and went out again. They have yet to come back on. Same thing happened in my dads 86 Ranger.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Oh, and speaking of ideal vehicles, I am waiting for a mid-sized gas/electric SUV with low-range 4WD to come out. THEN I'll be happy!
    Have you checked out the Ford Escape hybrid? I don't know what the 4WD is like, and they might be a little small...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Oh, Ben's post reminded me of another mechanical problem I had with my truck. I broke a tie rod one day when I pulled into a friends place. The same friend who's head went through the windsheild. The local parts store had what we needed to replace it for about $25. We fixed it ourselves, right there in the feild. The next day I took it to a shop to have the alignment checked. He said the ball joints were shot, and that he couldn't align it until they were fixed. So I asked him if the tires were going to fall off if I didn't get the ball joints replaced. He said no, so I took my truck and went home. The tires still haven't fallen off.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

ya i don't know how tall you are .... i am about 6' 1" ... when we test drive a vehicle i drive .. then the wife drives ... then i make her stop and i get into the back seat to see how it is back there ... then i drive some more ... we are usually gone for a good 30 -45 min ... city driving .. interstate driving ...

like i said we got in the liberty ... she drove first this time for some reason ... i got in the passenger side and we got about 3 blocks and i told her to turn around ... got back to the dealership .. the salesman came out with a wierd look on his face asked if anything was wrong and i said this is a POS ... he just laughed and said it was a bit tight for taller people ... i said " a bit ?? "
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    Manual 5 speed, Bilstein HD shocks all around, IPD swaybars and possibly sport exhaust to come.

Visual: E-Code headlights, 5 spoke rims

Utility: Thule Rack with Yakima Bike Racks, Towing package.
    Ooh - nice! How do you like the Bilstein's? I'm thinking about putting in the TC's when the stock ones start to go - with VW's it could happen anywhere from 40k to 100k... I'd love to put in e-codes but still having a bit of sticker shock. TDI Club turned me into a bit of a car geek! Got the Yakima rack with their old-style kayak saddles, much better than anything they make these days.

Good idea about the picture, will find one later.

Ben, I'm about 6'1" too and had a hard time finding a small car that I could fit in. VW's are surprisingly roomy but most aren't. I had an Explorer just before it and - well, did you happen to see the movie "Money Pit"? That pretty much sums it up...

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

1991 Blue Crown Victoria.

yeah!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

2005 Smart Roadster Coupe
    A whopping 699cc 3-cylinder mercedes engine.
    Turns in 45mpg in town or at 70mph.
    OR alternatively 30MPG maximum on the racetrack, and 130mph.
    Sadly now no longer built.

There was a US version to be built by Dodge.
    Exterior styling by cut-and-paste (AUDI front and Megane rear) and a hideous interior.
    But I'd have bought it just for the tuning parts to go on mine

I'm a Smart car fanatic, my alter ego is media@thesmartclub.com
    The club is attending a big event in Klagenfurt, Austria thus summer.
    Followed by a side trip on the drive home to the Smart factory in Hambach near Saarbrucken.
    Time to see the new 3rd generation city car, the updated Smart fortwo, in the flesh.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Sadly now no longer built.

There was a US version to be built by Dodge.
    I was wondering what happened to it. Daimler has Chrysler for sale so I suppose anything like that won't see the light of day for awhile. Here's a shot of mine in Michigan's Upper Peninsula a couple of years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you drive?-dscf0221.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Ooh - nice! How do you like the Bilstein's? I'm thinking about putting in the TC's when the stock ones start to go - with VW's it could happen anywhere from 40k to 100k... I'd love to put in e-codes but still having a bit of sticker shock. TDI Club turned me into a bit of a car geek! Got the Yakima rack with their old-style kayak saddles, much better than anything they make these days.

Good idea about the picture, will find one later.

Ben, I'm about 6'1" too and had a hard time finding a small car that I could fit in. VW's are surprisingly roomy but most aren't. I had an Explorer just before it and - well, did you happen to see the movie "Money Pit"? That pretty much sums it up...
    I love my Bilstein HD's, got 'em from Shox.com.

They're really stiff...I thing slightly stiffer and/or lower springs and bigger swaybars would really complete my car, handles pretty well as is, but there's just a little too much body roll in the turns.

I dont know about the TCs, probably not near as stiff as the HDs, but I'm sure they'll be an improvement over your stock shocks.

Volvo 240's not bad for tall people I imagine (unless you get the Bertone with the chopped gangsta style roof), I've driven some 6' friends around and they didnt complain, I'm 5'8'' and love it.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yuck
    I dont know about the TCs, probably not near as stiff as the HDs, but I'm sure they'll be an improvement over your stock shocks.
    The TC's are about 20% stiffer than stock from what I hear - and much better handling. Think that's what I'm looking for - but the stock stuff is still OK so I'll leave it for now.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I was wondering what happened to it. Daimler has Chrysler for sale so I suppose anything like that won't see the light of day for awhile.
    It was an interesting concept, taking a few features from the Brabus V6 roadster.

They hand-built engines with a second block/head to make the 1.4 V6
    Simply cloning the existing system left them with two exhausts, two camshaft drives, two ECUs one for each half of the engine, and two turbos. ATL fuel cell in front, discs all round, racing seats, belts, extinguisher... the 10 cars were special build for a commemorative rally and none were ever sold - I'd have one !

Of course little things like having to dismantle the car to get at the custom carbon fibre air box, the Maybach intercooler for the twin turbo (nice to get your hands in the MB parts bin) and the fibre lagged exhaust runs almost 360 degrees round the engine ... makes maintenance something that your local dealer wouldn't touch

The rear disc brakes made their way onto the Dodge concept car, something we wanted to get our hands on for the performance modified Roadsters here in the UK.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

The wife and I drove past a dealership the other day, that had 2 Smart cars. They look like they would be fun to drive, and you should never have a problem finding a parking spot for them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information