PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Vacation suggestions... Have any?

My wife and I have been to Branson Mo. and to Pigeon Forge Tenn. several times and really like them both. we live on the coast in Mississippi and were looking for suggestions similar to these. Neither one of us likes being on our feet for long periods. In Branson we mix up going to shows, attractions, eating, and shops so we are not on our feet all day. We would like to keep it in the Southeastern states if possible but feel free to make any suggestions. Also having picture taking opportunities would be nice and the time frame we are looking at is June. Thanks for any ideas, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Vacation suggestions... Have any?

A few I thought of:

Memphis - truth is, I've never been there but driven thru and it's fairly high on "the list". Lots of things to see, do, eat and listen to. I've never been much of an Elvis fan but would definitely check out Graceland - why not?

Nashville - it's not all about country music. There is a replica of the Parthenon (maybe not full size, but still a large building and interesting to photograph. One of the best things I did was spend an evening at The Bluebird Cafe - a place where singer/songwriters perform. It's very quiet in there, and some pretty big names have performed there over the years.

Austin - this one could fill a book. April is a great time to go, especially if you have time to head west to the Hill Country to see the wildflowers. That time of year it's hard to find a "good" place to go here in the USA, but it's prime time there. Not to hot for us northerners either. Be sure to check out the Oswald Gallery for some museum-grade photography (HCB, Adams and others) and it's all for sale (however a bit out of my price range). The oldest known photograph is there, as well as a Gutenberg Bible - haven't made it there yet myself. This area gets a big :thumbsup: from me!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Miami works for me, but I live here.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

banished

do anything you want

I suggest you go to China. I visited this place last June and I had a blast. The tourist spots like The Great Wall and Summer Palace are very very nice.
    I've taken every step in my life with appreciation that i may never pass this way again. Document memories with a camera on hand

If you want to stay in the Southeast, why not try The Oldest City in The United States. St. Augustine, FL. History, the oldest stone fort in the USA, the most magnificent hotel in the world (in 1888 when it opened), everything within about a 10 block area, some great places to eat, enough history and things to see to keep you busy for at least a week, beautiful beaches, great hotels and B&Bs and you can use the Old Town trolley for transportation all around the city.

Oh, and I'm a tour guide here.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Is the White Lion still there? One of my favorite places for a steak and a Black and Tan.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Oh yeah. The White Lion is still very good. I prefer A1A Ale Works myself. O.C. White's has fabulous seafood, Harry's the best New Orlean's style and great steaks and Columbia is the best Spanish/Cuban food in the world.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Thanks for every one's input. Still looking around on the Internet for places we might enjoy, Thanks again, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

banished

travel, travel, travel,

Paris

You can visit a capital city just about any time. Even in winter the lights just add to the atmosphere and there are lots of things to visit indoors. However in June the weather in Paris is usually pretty good - warm but not too hot. And there's the Metro to get around, an enormous number of things to see.

OK Parisians are not the coolest, most welcoming people in the world but they're like that with everybody. They treat French people from the provinces (peasants) even worse than foreign tourists. Don't even think of hiring a car...
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me vacation suggestions, Jeff

Thread Information