PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Liz

Question about google......

Yesterday I googled my own name out of curiosity to see if there were any changes in the past two years (the first and last time I googled my name).

Actually it only showed a list of about 5 generic/public things most of which related to deaths in the family.

However, I was surprised by the first item on the list - it was "On your computer" and listed all the places in my Word files which included my full name in the document - like a few memos and faxes I had sent out - and saved in Word.

I realize that this information only came up because it is my computer - and no one else would get this info if they googled my name.

My question and concern is - how does google fine this information? I'm confused. Maybe this is a stupid question, but since google is an online information source, how do they find information from my computer - and in my personal files? Wouldn't that leave open my files to others - like the "staff" at google? Or is it all automatic process and no one sees it - other than the "machine?"

What am I missing here?

Thanks for clarification.

Liz

Re: Question about google......

About four and a half years ago, Google launch a new utility called Desktop Search. At the time, it worked only on Windows XP and 2000 machines. It was a 450 kb download. It wasn't compatible with my Mac, so I have to confess to paying much attention to it.

My guess is that in the last few years, it's been included with some sort of "regular update".

Best I've got for you lady, sorry.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

From what I understand, you can disable "Google Desktop", although I can't remember how exactly.
    I think, you just click on the section it shows, to disable it, but I am not too certain at this time.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    From what I understand, you can disable "Google Desktop", although I can't remember how exactly.
    I think, you just click on the section it shows, to disable it, but I am not too certain at this time.
    Brian
    Thanks Brian,

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just don't like the fact that they can dig into (search) my computer with "their" software or whatever they use. How do they do this without sharing/exposing my files?

Liz

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    How do they do this without sharing/exposing my files?

Liz
    Good question!
    I think, that they are doing it, so that Google can be your entire search engine, for both the web and your computer.
    I am sure Google looks at this as a courtesy to all that use it.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Good question!
    I think, that they are doing it, so that Google can be your entire search engine, for both the web and your computer.
    I am sure Google looks at this as a courtesy to all that use it.
    Brian
    I have to say that I was a bit "shocked" when the google website came up - and there was the link to a filed copy of a fax (In Word documents) in which I had asked someone at work to deposit a check. Some of the information was actually included in the title. At first I didn't realize it was a file from my computer as I only read the subject without seeing "in your computer."

Actually there is an option to "hide" the info on the google page - but "who" am I hiding it from - me? They are still accessing it whether hidden or exposed. Kind of scarry unless I'm missing something here.

It may be a "courtesy" but I don't need the google search engine to find something in my personal or business (private) files.

Thanks for your comments, Brian.

Liz

Liz only you can see it, on your computer, nothing is public.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I really don't like what Google do to my computer.
    So I don't let Google tools on it.
    Like desktop search for example.

The only one I use is the google search tools in Firefox.
    Even then I have Google analytics blocked in NoScript.
    Best add-on ever for Firefox, that one
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    Liz only you can see it, on your computer, nothing is public.
    Yes, I mentioned this in my first post - that I know it's not public. My concern isn't that it's public, but I don't like the idea that google can obtain the information straight from my computer............even if they're doing it just for me. Maybe I'm not making myself clear.

IOW - if I had the intelligence and specific information and electronics (search engine) to find information on someone else's personal computer - then that info is available to me. Does this make sense?

Am I making it bigger than it is? It's possible that, because I don't understand how they do this without anyone else but me seeing the info, that I'm concerned about nothing.

Liz

If you have the google taskbar then chances are you have google desktop, and at some point you gave the desktop to search for all your files to make them searchable in google. Did you go to the Google site or task bar to do your search?
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    If you have the google taskbar then chances are you have google desktop, and at some point you gave the desktop to search for all your files to make them searchable in google. Did you go to the Google site or task bar to do your search?
    I don't recall - but it's a good probability I used the task bar.

Thanks!

Liz

I would go to google.com and do the same search and see what shows up.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thomas A. Edison

With almost no knowledge about computers and systems like Windows,Google,etc,I,too,recently had a nasty shock when my laptop threw a weird loop.Some kind of pop-up appeared.

Solution-I joined major geek forums,where I got free,reliable advice in a swift response to a thread.
    Conclusion-peace of mind is almost never free,but I think you would get very specific answers in a timely fashion .

If you have security issues,try the "Read me and run" in malware section..I completed all the steps very quickly and easily,
    and now feel less worried about the areas I still do not understand.It taught me a huge amount,and it gets great reviews all over the place.

Seriously,if I can do this,anyone can .
    Please don't report me for spam...not a paid rep,just a fan !
    Last edited by susaan; 02-11-2009 at 08:07 PM.

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Liz - that information is only available through local software. There is some google product installed on your computer that has enabled (that google product) to index the files on your computer. Your browser is also local software (on your computer). You can open your browser and use it to access most local files if you want; you simply type C:/Documents and Settings/fileIwantToSee. So it is possible that even if information is displayed in your browser, it is entirely local, and that is the case here. No transmission is made to google, and google's online services are not involved; it's purely local software on your computer, and the fact that it's displayed through your browser doesn't compromise its security.

That is, as long as Google keeps its license agreements on the up and up... it's always wise to skim those to check!
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    That is, as long as Google keeps its license agreements on the up and up... it's always wise to skim those to check!
    So true,..its ""as long as"....while reading the agreement is a good idea,protection is better than a reason to sue,'scuse me brmill26 !

Liz,I'm sorry,was not suggesting you have any virus/malware problems-

Everything he told you was spot on,except that if you were unaware what Google desktop did..(newish computer ?)..you may also need to check the security angle.

-it does sound as tho' no one has ever seriously evaluated your computer for vulnerabilities.
    -If you pay a professional,ask a knowledgeable friend or go the freeware route,its very important someone tightens the security up-software that "comes with" is never really good enough.

You may not suffer from teenage surfers,(as I do),looking for a cool downloadable song,etc,but its terribly easy to hit a Google link and find yourself in hot water...

Lets be careful out there !

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    Liz - that information is only available through local software. There is some google product installed on your computer that has enabled (that google product) to index the files on your computer. Your browser is also local software (on your computer). You can open your browser and use it to access most local files if you want; you simply type C:/Documents and Settings/fileIwantToSee. So it is possible that even if information is displayed in your browser, it is entirely local, and that is the case here. No transmission is made to google, and google's online services are not involved; it's purely local software on your computer, and the fact that it's displayed through your browser doesn't compromise its security.

Thanks. I believe you're correct. My computer is new. It is a "build your own" from HP and Costco. I have a friend who is a professional (this is what he does for a living) and he installed all the software. He was quite impressed with the fact that the computer originally had no software except what I ordered - and it was clean.

I have gmail and Picasa and have been impressed with google in the past so I made Google my Home Page - and toolbar. Having all the google software, etc. on my pc is probably the source of the desktop search engine - which is fine.

I believe you're right and I'm not concerned about the security anymore after reading all the comments - your's and all the others. I have an excellent security program working on the computer. My computer person does this for a living and keeps my computer update - and he's a friend.

Thanks for the information and for taking the time to explain some things that I didn't understand.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by susaan
    So true,..its ""as long as"....while reading the agreement is a good idea,protection is better than a reason to sue,'scuse me brmill26 !

Liz,I'm sorry,was not suggesting you have any virus/malware problems-

Everything he told you was spot on,except that if you were unaware what Google desktop did..(newish computer ?)..you may also need to check the security angle.

-it does sound as tho' no one has ever seriously evaluated your computer for vulnerabilities.
    -If you pay a professional,ask a knowledgeable friend or go the freeware route,its very important someone tightens the security up-software that "comes with" is never really good enough.

You may not suffer from teenage surfers,(as I do),looking for a cool downloadable song,etc,but its terribly easy to hit a Google link and find yourself in hot water...

Lets be careful out there !
    Susaan,

Thanks so much for your comments and advice. Actually, my computer is well taken care of by a good friend who builds, installs and repairs computers for a living for a high tech corporation. My computer was a "build it yourself" and he was impressed that it actually had nothing that it didn't need in it. He installed everything from the very beginning and keeps it updated.

He hasn't been around for a few weeks, so I posted my question here as I always get intelligent information on PR no matter what the topic!

This computer came with no security software and thankfully NO ADS or links! I have an excellent security program (free) that he installed and it's the one he uses himself. Thankfully, I've had no bugs since he took out the "popular" security programs I used to have a couple years ago - which brought huge problems into my old computer and took up lots of my time - and money to get the old computer "fixed."

Susaan - I didn't think you were saying I had a virus or malware problems. I know the computer is well protected in that area. I was just confused as I didn't understand what was going on. Thinking about the fact that I have google as my home page, and Picasa, and after reading rational comments here, it all makes sense as to how this happened. So I'm not worried anymore

I really appreciate your input - thanks for taking the time to reply.

Liz

I'm really pleased to hear all those details.....sounds like a great machine,well looked after.

Just recently,had to learn some basic stuff,fast,after a windows update ran amok,installing all kinds of,well,rubbish to be polite.....hope it didn't sound too condescending..heard tuns of sad stories,-almost became one,myself,last week....

The Killers

Anne McCaffrey

Yugoslav Proverb

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by susaan
    I'm really pleased to hear all those details.....sounds like a great machine,well looked after.

Just recently,had to learn some basic stuff,fast,after a windows update ran amok,installing all kinds of,well,rubbish to be polite.....hope it didn't sound too condescending..heard tuns of sad stories,-almost became one,myself,last week....
    Susaan,

You were very kind and I appreciated all the input and info you posted - no way did it ever sound condescending! I can relate to the windows updates - to be honest, they drive me crazy sometimes. All you have to do is download the wrong one - and it becomes a mess. I don't download them all, but it gets quite confusing at times. I'm the first to admit that I'm "technically challenged."

Thanks for your help! I appreciate your input - actually I always enjoy your posts - you're an asset to this community!

Liz

Thread Information