PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Post your favorite chili recipe

Ok, I'm really bored at work and making out a shopping list for tonight. I'm planning on getting supplies to make a large pot of chili, but I wasn't sure what kind I wanted to make. I'm going to get the stuff to make two different kinds, so I can choose later. Both of the recipes I use come pretty much from cans, so they are really easy to make.

My traditional chili goes something like this.

A pound or two of ground hamburger, browned in a skillet, along with a diced onion or two, and 3 bell peppers. Usually a green, red and orange for the colors. A couple cans of chili beans, a couple can's of stewed tomatoes, a couple cans of tomato juice (depending on the size of the pot) and lots of chili powder. I also like to throw in a can of beer if we have it in the house. If I want to spice it up, I will throw in a few sliced jalapeno peppers. I like to let it cook in a crock pot untill the onions and peppers are no longer crunchy. I leave the crock pot on the counter until all the chili is gone, never refrigerating it. Well, maybe the last bowl will get put in the fridge so I can clean the crock pot. Depending on how much the wife eats, it could last a week.

White chicken chili is the other kind I like to make. I got the recipe off of a show on public radio about a year ago.

Here is the recipe that I got off of there website. Very easy as well, and it tastes great. The only major thing that I do different from this recipe is that I drain and rinse the beans, but I don't add the liquid from the beans back into the chili. I throw it out.

2 Tbs Olive oil
    2 Large Onions
    4 Large Garlic cloves, chopped
    2 Tbs Ground cumin
    2 tsp Dried italian spiced mix
    1 pound Boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 15 oz cans Cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
    1 Can Red kidney beans
    2 Cans Low sodium chicken broth
    2 7 oz cans Green chilies, diced
    1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Chopped parsley

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, cumin, and Italian spice. Saute' 5 minutes. Push onion to one side of pan.
    Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pan. Saute' chicken approximately 5 minutes.
    Drain beans; reserve bean liquid. Add beans, low-sodium chicken broth, diced green chilies, and reserved bean liquid to chicken. Simmer about 10 minutes until chicken is tender and cooked through. Add monteray jack cheese and simmer until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    Ladle chili into bowls. Top with cheese and parsley.

I have an entire chili cook book at home, but I have yet to try any thing from it. Maybe this will be the year to experiment.

So, how do you make your chili?
    Last edited by mjs1973; 11-09-2007 at 01:07 PM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Post your favorite chili recipe

One thing that we love in our chili is sausage links. I buy either the big Italian ones or some plain pork link sausages (without the nasty maple flavoring etc). I make the chili much like your red one with hamburger, but I like to used stewed tomatoes in puree' or stewed tomatoes in their own juice and tomato paste. It's thick with the paste, so I use chicken broth to thin it down. I also like to use assorted beans. Black, great northern, kidney and red. The pork, hamburger and chicken broth bring an amazing array of flavors together with the spices.

The sausages are put out on a platter and served on the side.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Ooohh! I've got a good one! Will post this weekend.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Mine is my favorite!
    I use three types of beans, two meats, ground usually beef and pork.
    Two different bell peppers, usually a green and a yellow, or red or even an orange.
    Cilantro, garlic, some celery sometimes.
    An onion, red one usually.
    All sautéed in extra virgin olive oil.
    Chili powder to taste, usually a lot, some cumin to taste as well, but not nearly as much as the chili powder.
    A few cans of diced tomatoes.
    Two beers, typically a stout or a hefeweizen, something unfiltered. After all ingredients are mixed and ready to simmer, I'll add half of the first beer and add the other half about 20 minutes before its done.
    The second beer goes to the cook... :smilewinkgrin:
    The last ingredient...
    Chocolate, that I add at the very end, after the beer.
    I use a bar of Hershey's but I need to try better chocolates.
    The chocolate makes the chili creamy.

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information