PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hannah Montana???!!!

This article just caught my eye:

http://www.people.com/people/article...s-topheadlines

Apparently her concerts are selling out in minutes, her shows are more popular than The Police, Justin Timberlake, and Bruce Springsteen?! A ticket in NC went for over $2,000?! Where did this kid come from?! A few of my kids used to talk about her a lot, but I had no idea she was getting this big!!

I love the quote from her dad, Billy Ray Cyrus: "She plays the [Sommet Center] arena with 18,000 people on Thursday night and I play the Wildhorse Saloon for 1,800 on Friday night." Heheh, my achy breaky heart. Adina do your girls watch this??
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Hannah Montana???!!!

Nope, little old for mine. We haven't seen much of anything lately, as we are never home. Shows been on for a little while, hopefully this kid will be able to keep it together.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

My daughter is 7 and loves Hannah Montana. She even has a Hannah Montana singing toothbrush.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Tel

OK I'm going to say this once. Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network are killing our youth.

Seriously, Make your kids watch Discovery if you have them watching TV at all.

Do you know what would happen if you made your kids watch Discovery once in awhile instead of that sh*t on Disney? I guarantee if you just block all those stupid Kids channels, and make them watch TV that doesn't suck arse, they're grades will go up. I guarantee it.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

The "Monkees" of a new generation...

This phenomena is nothing new. When I was a kid, we had The Monkees and The Partridge Family, totally made up tv bands of only marginal musical talent created to compete with real "British Invasion" bands like The Beatles.

For comparison, The Monkees once headlined a sold-out arena concert where the opening act was non other than Jimi Hendrix... :nonod:

BTW, The Naked Brothers Band is another example of the same thing... :cornut:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I think absent and lazy parenting are killing our youth. Not watching Hannah Montana.

It's about moderation imo.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Even though they're boys & slightly older, some boys at my church I was talking to about TV, and all 6 of told me their fav TV shows, and about 80% of them were on the Discovery Channel.

I miss watching "The Wonderful Wold of Disney" while growing up, and all the old classic Mickey & Donald cartoons.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    all 6 of told me their fav TV shows, and about 80% of them were on the Discovery Channel...
    That's encouraging to hear. Some would call me a tv snob, though I don't think that's true. Not like I'm a PBS freak or anything. Just that I simply don't have time to waste on the usual network-tv drivel.

I'd say 90% of my (non-sports) viewing is on either Bravo, Discovery, TLC, Travel Channel, or the History Channel.

They just seem to have the programming I like to watch...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Even though they're boys & slightly older, some boys at my church I was talking to about TV, and all 6 of told me their fav TV shows, and about 80% of them were on the Discovery Channel.

I miss watching "The Wonderful Wold of Disney" while growing up, and all the old classic Mickey & Donald cartoons.
    I loved Wonderful World of Disney!

My two teenage boys watch Discovery all of the time. One show in particular is Man vs. Wild. It's their favorite. http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/ma...manvswild.html

My two oldest were allowed to watch assorted shows when they were little. Like Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles, Power Rangers, Captain Planet to name a few.

My oldest is in his second year of college. He made honor roll his whole freshman year and is a collegiate athlete on top of that. We have yet to find out exactly where his grades are this year, but I except them to be up there again.

My 2nd oldest son is in the process of being recruited by numerous division I schools for football & is a senior in hs. When he was younger we were told to get him vocational training because he would never function as a 'normal person' because his learning disorders were catastrophic. We were told he wouldn't do things like read..... His room has stacks and stacks of text books he reads for leisure. You should see this boy's xmas list. Bores the heck out of me, but hey if you want books from Cambridge for xmas you'll get them.

I guess my point is a little TV I find doesn't hurt. It isn't a baby-sitter or replacement to life. Too much of a good thing is usually not a good thing. At least that's been my experience.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Looks like ticket brokers are snatching up all of the tickets to these shows, then charging the fans huge amounts for them...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...ref=newssearch
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Looks like ticket brokers are snatching up all of the tickets to these shows, then charging the fans huge amounts for them...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...ref=newssearch

And some AGs are seriously looking into criminal conspiracy and other charges.

My butt itches.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    My butt itches.
    Scratch it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    And some AGs are seriously looking into criminal conspiracy and other charges.
    Including the Indiana Attorney General. My neighbors 12 year old was up at 5am every morning trying to win tickets a TV station had for one of these shows. Unfortunately there are many Carmel area parents who will shell out $2000+ for these tickets for their spoiled rotten daughters. I remember having to work 6 weeks to come up with the money to go see two hockey games at Notre Dame. The tickets were $12 each, but if I wanted to go I had to EARN it. Same went for going to some rock concerts I went to back in the early 70's, I earned the money to go to them.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I read about the obsene amounts people were paying for tickets...yikes.

My 7 yr old told me today she loves Hannah Montana, although I doubt she could pick her out of a line up.

Favorite kids shows here? Dirtiest Jobs and Mythbusters. Although, Rick, I'm still going to try sliding down the sail of a boat with my knife, I think if I time it just right, and the wind is blowing a certain way, I'll be able to do it.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information