PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

NEED HELP with a problem!!!

I have a PC that is using XP 7 and something has taken over my computer and is constantly redirecting my browser to ad pages. I was using AVG for my virus protection and it didn't get rid of it. I changed to Tren Micro Internet security and it is still there. This is driving me nuttier than I am normally. Any ideas of things to try would be greatly appreciated. I also used Spybot and lavasoft ad-ware, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Re: NEED HELP with a problem!!!

Did you try the trend micro "HouseCall Scan"? I have used AVG for about 5 or 6 years and have had no problems. I do run the house call program about every 6 months. I had to do tht years ago and it worked for me. I takes about 2 hours to run and it pulls up all virus problems and allows you to get rid of them.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I have a PC that is using XP 7 and something has taken over my computer and is constantly redirecting my browser to ad pages. I was using AVG for my virus protection and it didn't get rid of it. I changed to Tren Micro Internet security and it is still there. This is driving me nuttier than I am normally. Any ideas of things to try would be greatly appreciated. I also used Spybot and lavasoft ad-ware, Jeff
    This sounds just like spyware, not a virus. Run Ad-Aware or Spybot (preferably both, both have free versions) to get rid of this.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    This sounds just like spyware, not a virus. Run Ad-Aware or Spybot (preferably both, both have free versions) to get rid of this.
    I second that e-motion. It works great.

I hate spyware though! I had a spyware program on my computer that nothing would get rid of. It wouldn't even allow me to get online, it would just pop up tons of ads. After using a different computer & hours of internet searching, I found a group that had the same problem. Someone finally found out what company made the program, and through a lawyer sent a threatening letter about the program. The company finally put up a un install program to get rid of it.

Hopefully you don't have that spyware program
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Spyware Doctor...not free but worth the money. Been using it for several years and have had 0 problems.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I tried ad ware and spybot and it is still there. Now I see something has been added to my signature!!!! This just gets worse and worse. I know I could relieve a lot of tention and lower my blood pressure if I could get my big hands on whoever did this for just a few minutes! I am pi*%#&* Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Check out this forum, I had good luck when I was having problems with my machine

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Just thought I would give you an update. Just after I posted last time my computer, I decided to try and load Bit Defender. Now my computer will not let me do anything except get to my desktop. I can't click on anything on my desktop or go anywhere now. This is a real pain!!!!! I am on a friends computer to let you know what is going on. It may be several days before I can get my computer fixed so if you give me suggestions and I don't respond quickly that is why, Jeff

Try booting up in safemode, hopefully that will let you get to the desktop to do some stuff & figure it out.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information