PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Need computer help

For the last 3 or 4 weeks I am constantly getting Internet Explorer is not responding. Any suggestions of what to do? I have an HP laptop and I did make restore disk when I first got my computer. If I try and use these to put my computer back to where it was originally will this erase my pictures in the process? Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Need computer help

Try updating IE to the latest version.

If that doesn't work, install firefox instead
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

IE problems can be due to add-ins you didn't even know you'd got !
    Tools, Manage Add-ons, Enable or Disable Add-ons
    Try disabling them one at a time and see if it improves
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Erik, I have downloaded the updates to IE and it still doesn't work. I did load Firefox and I am going to try it along with trying what PAul suggested about the plug-ins for Internet Explorer. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me out, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

IE6 or IE7? XP ro Vista?

Try scanning for mal-ware. Mine froze up a couple of weeks ago with a similar problem. It took me a couple of hours to hunt down the problem. I had to break out my laptop to google the solution to the worm problem. I wish I could remember the name of the worm, but it was an easy fix.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I have had a similar problem for the last month or so. I think it started when I said yes to some add-on's (Yahoo toolbar). I will try disabling them when I have a moment.

My system is Vista with the latest version of everything.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I am running Internet Explorer Version 7.0.6001.18000 and the OS is Vista Home Premium. All help is greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts. I may be posting a picture of an HP laptop airborne in the Critique form before too long. :mad2: Jeff

My problem was with Skype Mastermind add-in.
    PAul

Tonight I was still having trouble with IE not working. I thought I might try deleting the program and re installing it to see what happens. When I put it in Google one of the topics was the same thing. The person said that Office had caused the problem and how to fix it. Well, I tried it and it seems to be working like it did before this problem started so I will give it a few days and let you know the results, Jeff

Firefox is the way to go.. I only load IE when I need to make sure I haven't typo'd something while putting up a web-page of pictures.. Firefox is smart enough to try to fix some pages it loads, while IE just gives an error, so IE is good for testing pages if nothing else
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Quote Originally Posted by DHMN69
    Firefox is the way to go.. I only load IE when I need to make sure I haven't typo'd something while putting up a web-page of pictures.. Firefox is smart enough to try to fix some pages it loads, while IE just gives an error, so IE is good for testing pages if nothing else
    It was suggested in an earlier reply to get FireFox and I have downloaded that also. Firefox seems to be faster and works well but I just wanted my IE fixed also, jeff

What is an EP, or do you mean Microsoft's Internet Explorer, IE ?

Un-installing and re-installing things doesn't usually fix problems.
    Unless it's Windows and you rebuild the computer from scratch.
    Sometimes it's the only way to make it work

Usually it is an add-in that's been loaded, or a bad bit of software you picked up from a naughty website. Usually you have to hunt those down and delete them by hand.

I was lucky I found that Skype add-in after only half an hour's searching.
    PAul

Yes PAul, I meant Internet Explorer, Jeff
    If you are using Internet Explorer with Vista this is what they said to do.

1 click on start
    2 control panel
    3 classic view
    4 Program & features
    5 Microsoft Office
    6 select change
    7 select repair
    8 OK

I have no idea why it made a difference but my Internet Explorer has worked fine since doing this! :thumbsup:

You can't delete Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer and its components are closely linked to the operating system itself. You can't delete Internet Explorer. Firefox is a product in itself and you can install and deinstall it.

I still have my problem but only with certain sites and certain accounts. I tried disabling plugins but it didn't work. I shall have to try an Office repair
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    For the last 3 or 4 weeks I am constantly getting Internet Explorer is not responding. Any suggestions of what to do? I have an HP laptop and I did make restore disk when I first got my computer. If I try and use these to put my computer back to where it was originally will this erase my pictures in the process? Jeff

You've had very helpful replies on the IE problem, but I wanted to address the other question. Back everything up and do not assume anything is safe when you do a repair install of your OS.

Also have you tried doing a system restore? That's gotten me out of few pickles.

Even if you get IE running again, try Firefox.

'ta,

Cath

I just thought I would give everyone an up date on my Internet Explorer problem. First of all thanks to everyone for giving me suggestions and trying to help me out. I had been having trouble every time I tried to use IE for about four weeks. I tried eliminating add ons one at a time and that didn't work but after I tried the repair of "Office" four days ago I havve not had one problem with it since. I cannot explain it, I just know that it worked. Thanks again for all the help, Jeff

Re: You can't delete Internet Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Internet Explorer and its components are closely linked to the operating system itself. You can't delete Internet Explorer. Firefox is a product in itself and you can install and deinstall it.

I still have my problem but only with certain sites and certain accounts. I tried disabling plugins but it didn't work. I shall have to try an Office repair

You can uninstall IE 7 and then reinstall IE 6 and then upgrade back to IE 7. I had to do it to 2 of my clinic laptops in order to used a lab web site.

Google Chrome works well, too. Dare I say it's faster than firefox. It does not have as many add-ons or plugins available, however. I won't use internet explorer unless I absolutely must due to site compatibility.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I hadn't looked at this thread because I would have no advice but IE has been freezing and other weird stuff on us for some time so I loaded firefox tonight and it seems to be faster and working better except our mouse suddenly quit working.
    After a lot of fiddling around I fixed it the man way......gave it a good wack and its fine now.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

May want to check some of your anti-virus settings. I just got a new laptop with vista home prem sp1. Had issues with the browsers (both ie7 AND firefox) locking up after 30 min or so. Turned out a setting in teh av caused this.

Thread Information