PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

da Da Vinci Code

I haven't read the book, but I could tell that it must be amazing.

We saw this last night. It wasn't a very good movie. The story line was fantastic! (remember, I haven't read the book) but the movie was boring. Not as well done as it should have been, given the story they had to work with. This had Stephen Spielberg ala Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade written all over it; with a dash of the Hardy Boys and Alias. I don't recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the book. I think you'll be disappointed. My gf read it (overnight, years ago) and said that Robert Langdon (protagonist) in the movie was untrue to the book. And, they apparently changed the relationship between he and girl too.

The reviews that I have read seem to follow these lines: Never read the book = love the movie (plotline) Read the book = don't like the movie.

If I wasn't The Slowest Reader in the Western Hemisphere I would put it on my book list. But, I am, so I won't.

Rating: C!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: da Da Vinci Code

As far as that goes, the book is always better than the movie. If movies followed story lines in books accurately, they'd last 7 hours. Think of a movie as an abridged version of a book.
    JOhn

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    The reviews that I have read seem to follow these lines: Never read the book = love the movie (plotline) Read the book = don't like the movie.!
    Well, I read the book so maybe I won't like the movie. The book itself was OK, following the typical Dan Brown pattern. Lots of cryptology, mixing of fact, near fact, and fiction, running around, getting shot at and betrayed, winning in the end. A good read but not something you'd read more than once.

There was a short discussion of the book yesterday at the college. No one has seen the movie yet but all five of us had read the book. It really divided down the line of those who believe that the Church is always true and those who don't. That Scion nonsense was debunked decades ago, it is a badly done fraud. Da Vinci, Netwon, etc. had no ties part in this stuff. Opus Dei is neither that powerful nor that clever. But the split on whether Jesus was inspired by divinity or divine himself is an argument that goes way back to at least the Eastern Roman Empire. There was almost a civil war as each side tried to prove their religious point of view with the usual wanton slaughter. Might have come to that yesterday! :-)

The movie will get the audience thanks to the controversy stirred up by the Catholic Church. But, from what I've heard so far, the movie probably won't hit blockbuster status.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well, I started the book, but got hung up after chapter one. Not a knock on the book, just haven't had any free time to read.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie (having liked all the films you made reference to, Rick, and of course Tom Hanks). I could not care less if the movie deals in reality, or what it may or may not imply or reveal about the Catholic church.

I see it more as a Tomb Raider kind of flick (with hopefully a little less "cartoon" action). Both of the TR films got fairly trashed by the press, but I really enjoyed them. Of course Tom Hanks does not look as good as Angelina Jolie in skimpy, tight fitting outifts (going back to his Bosom Buddies days, heh heh)...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I got into a weird conversation the other day in which we were arguing whether Angelina Jolie's breasts were too large to ever pass as a boy on film.

How we got into the discussion, I don't remember.

Tom Hanks wasn't great in this film, imo. And just to clarify myself; I wasn't implying that this was as good as The Last Crusade, only that it would have been miles better if it had been done in that style. Which is how I understand the book is written more like.

Please post if you see it!
    Walter Rick Long

We are going to see it. I've read the book like 4 times. I made dh read it earlier this year, so that we could both see the movie together.

I've heard it's bad. But I'll see it anyway. I was watching some show at 3am today, and they said that they predict this will go blockbuster, simply because of the controversy.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Christians seem pretty threatened by this film. Though I assume everyone else takes it as fiction. I have already seen "Debunking the Da Vinci Code" on PAX or somesuch, and I passed a sign outside a church that read "Cracking the Da Vinci Code - Thurday 8pm." So apparently it is really threatening some people! ;)

For me, the story raises some really interesting points. The extent to which Dan Brown took artistic license with the facts I can't be sure of. But on a cursory level, a few of his theories seem feasible. Was Mary Magdalene Jesus' wife? Did they have a child? Was Jesus' divinity decided in the Nicene council? Was sex made taboo by the Christian church because it was a way to god which bypassed Jesus and the teachings of the church? It kinda makes you think

I for one have settled the "was Jesus man or divine" debate for myself, years ago. Jesus was human and divine. Just like everyone else. He just knew that.
    Walter Rick Long

I wouldn't say it's bad. It's got a lot of hype to live up to so it was kinda dead on arrival, you know?

I'll look forward to reading your review
    Walter Rick Long

Christians seem pretty threatened by this film. Though I assume everyone else takes it as fiction. I have already seen "Debunking the Da Vinci Code" on PAX or somesuch, and I passed a sign outside a church that read "Cracking the Da Vinci Code - Thurday 8pm." So apparently it is really threatening some people! ;)

For me, the story raises some really interesting points. The extent to which Dan Brown took artistic license with the facts I can't be sure of. But on a cursory level, a few of his theories seem feasible. Was Mary Magdalene Jesus' wife? Did they have a child? Was Jesus' divinity decided in the Nicene council? Was sex made taboo by the Christian church because it was a way to god which bypassed Jesus and the teachings of the church? It kinda makes you think

I for one have settled the "was Jesus man or divine" debate for myself, years ago. Jesus was human and divine. Just like everyone else. He just knew that.
    Shortly after I read the book (right around when it first came out) I was at my in-laws, and they had a church news letter that was dedicated to persuading people not to read it. What they said was that the book holds no threat to those who are secure in their Christian beliefs. Where the threat lies, is with those who don't have a solid, unshakable belief. After reading the book, which has many factual references, people may start to say "why not" to the whole Jesus was married and had kids" bit.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    After reading the book, which has many factual references, people may start to say "why not" to the whole Jesus was married and had kids" bit.
    And wouldn't that be a shame if people started coming up with beliefs different than what the church teaches them! ;)
    Walter Rick Long

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I like anything anti establishment, I will see it as it's on DVD I can't see spending $15 a head to get a sore ass with a bunch of loud people!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

$5.50 matinee with the only noise coming from the Dolby Digital 8.1 ;)
    Walter Rick Long

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have been looking forward to seeing the movie, ever since I read the book. Last spring my GF and I drove out west and took along the book on CD so I got to listen to it again. Books on tape or CD are a great way to pass the miles on a long trip if you ask me. A great way to pass time at work too. (I'm listening to the Harry Potter books at work now. ) I'm sure the movie won't live up to my expectations, but I'm going to see it anyway. I may wait for the DVD, but who knows.

After I read the first book in the "Left Behind" series, I thought the story had the potential for a great movie. For those who aren't familair with this series, it's a fictional story based on the end of the world, according to the Bible. Well, I saw the movie on VHS while shopping one day and I just had to have it... Well, lets just say I wasn't tempted to see any of the following movies after that. Had I not read the book, I don't think I would have been able to follow the movie. I'm hoping the Da Vinci Code is nothing like that.
    Last edited by mjs1973; 05-21-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I really enjoyed the book.

And I really enjoyed the movie.

As with many great books, a lot of story elements had to be simplified or even left out in order to make the movie a reasonable length. I miss that stuff, but the movie still works well and I liked the performances of the entire cast.

The story, in both the book and the movie, was never meant to be all action, all thrills, or even all suspense. It's a mystery - and on that level, it works extememly well. Going into the movie expecting "National Treasure" or "Tomb Raider" style action is a mistake - just like going into Jurassic Park expecting to see Barney and Friends (anyone who ever read JP will tell you that if the movie had been faithful to the book it would have been rated R for violence).

I got a warm fuzzy chuckle out of the half-dozen or so protesters that were on the corner (400 yards from the theater) when I left the theater.

Michael,

My gf's little girl just got a kick out of hearing that you listen to Harry Potter at work. We put it on for her every night so she can go to sleep! She wants me to ask you which one you listen to

I agree with the books on tape thing. I listened to The Celestine Prophecy that way. It is an excellent way to pass the time on trips!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Aw, I didn't see any protestors! Shucks.
    Walter Rick Long

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Michael,

My gf's little girl just got a kick out of hearing that you listen to Harry Potter at work. We put it on for her every night so she can go to sleep! She wants me to ask you which one you listen to

I agree with the books on tape thing. I listened to The Celestine Prophecy that way. It is an excellent way to pass the time on trips!

Rick
    Rick,

You can tell her that I'm about half way thru 2nd book (Chamber of Secrets). I have access to all 6 of them so it looks like I'm going to be "busy" at work for a while. I always wanted to read them, but they just haven't become a priority. I saw the movie for the first book when it came out, but it's been so long that I didn't remember it. Once I'm all done with the books, I would like to get the DVD's and watch them all.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The movie is just opening here, so I have not seen it yet, but I have read the the book.
    Although the plot was interesting, the characters such as Langdon were poorly depicted.
    Considering his supposed background as an academic and cryptographer, he comes off as being unintelligent and dense in terms of missing the obvious as events unfold.

The story is believable, if you have not researched the period. The Gnostic Christians probably have the most accurate assessment. Mary Magdalen was not a prostitute but a woman of means who was important and an apostle or associate but there is no evidence that she ever was the wife of Christ.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Considering his supposed background as an academic and cryptographer, he comes off as being unintelligent and dense in terms of missing the obvious as events unfold.

Ronnoco
    Ronnoco, I would be curious then about your take on his character in the movie. He does come accross as fairly smart in the film. He picks up the clues, puts things together. If you happen to take in the film, please post a review!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Okay, we saw it last night.

Tom Hanks wasn't to bad. No better or worse than any of this non-Oscar winning roles. I think they could have done a better job with the police chief. Silas was pretty well written, but the scenes were he was punishing himself made me nausous.

They did leave out some key (I think) things that pulled the story together. However, I do understand that they need to fit it into 2 hours.

Our biggest objection was the re-write of the ending. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good. The movie is never as good as the book, but this wasn't to bad for a movie.

I don't think that it should have been done Indiana Jones style, it didn't strike me as that kind of book. I don't think it was an action book, more of a suspense type thing.

We also saw X-Men 3 this weekend. Have to pack everything in before June.

Ooh ooh how was Xmen 3?!
    Walter Rick Long

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I loved the book, and as a christian I'm not threatened at all by either...because they're works of fiction.

Still want to see the film.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Saw it today...

...and really liked it!

Movies are so subjective, and as Rick correctly pointed out, folks sometimes like or dislike a movie purely based on expectations. Best-selling books are often the worst (not worst movies, but worst with the probelms of audience expectations).

With that in mind, I can see how some will be disappointed by the film, but find it hard to fathom that they would think it was BAD...

I had absolutely no trouble with the plot, and what it implies about Christianity, especially the Catholic Church. Without much knowledge of the history of Christianity (and especially more recent discoveries), I found the theories set forth in the film entirely plausable.

I, like many, have questions about organized religion, and what role the rich, powerful, established church and political leaders throughout history have played in shaping its doctrine and controlling what the average followers have been taught to believe.

Back to the movie, I agree Hanks was not at his best. Look, I'm a huge fan, but IMHO, any of a number of actors could have played that role with equal effect.

Of course, I was continually distracted by the lovely Audrey Tautou. Ain't it typical, just when I seem to be fed up with the French, I see a French woman that it takes all of two minutes for me to fall in love with.

Ah, c'est la vie... :crazy:

Without having read the book (yet), to me the biggest flaw if the film was the compressed timeline. I find it hard to belive that they figured the entire mystery out in so short a time period, and that all of the clues of "the Dark Con of Man" were so close together.

Still, a fun film...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Great movie
    I dreamt of a man
    He fed me fine food
    He gave me shiny things
    I dreamt of a man
    He fed me fine food
    He gave me shiny things

I've bought the book, and it's sitting on my bedside table, but I havn't started it yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information