PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold Brew Coffee

Filtron Cold Water Coffee Concentrate Brewer

Latte 4
    I like mine strong

Okay, I just had to share this...something I've been hooked on for about a year, inspired by mentions of oatmeal in other threads and then a mention of coffee. (Photo John's tokina thread)

Well coffee, for most people, aint cheap. But check out the cold brew system, a pound of coffee gets you about a quart and a half of concentrate (espresso) with this cold brew system, which for most people will last about a week.

It's summertime and we love our cold espresso drinks, but they really add up in cost. $3 for a simple latte. 1.5 litres of this coffee is equivalent to about 30 shots of espresso. (10 triple lattes, 15 americanos...whatever)

Aside from the cost, this coffee tastes ridiculously good, it's much less acidic, it's convenient, and better for you.

Okay, if you share this with your neighbors, you probably wont save much money because they'll always be over for coffee.

Think how fast the money saved will add up for that new lens...or camera...tripod...flash...whatever.

(it makes good hot coffee too, just add hot water)
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Re: Cold Brew Coffee

I just bought a french press. Since I'm off dairy, I had to give up my daily latte's. So far so good. It's a three cup press, enough for one (large) cup of coffee, a shot of vanilla nondairy creamer, and I'm set to go.

Cost?

Press - $10
    coffee - $9
    creamer -$2

Lasts me about a month. Times $4 latte by about 25 days a month, and I'm coming out ahead.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I'm addicted to my Starbucks Sumatra, although I did clip a coupon and pick up two pounds of dunkin donuts coffee. No one else in the house drinks it but me, so I don't have to share.

Off dairy? By choice or by Doctor? I've been very happy with the Land O Lakes Fat Free half and half., although it does have Milk in it, NEVERMIND!
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Off dairy? By choice or by Doctor?
    At the age of - well, older than Adina - I think I have to swear off pizza. All that hot gooey cheese doesn't work for me anymore. Sigh...

I've gotten used to the coffee that is supplied at work. I think my system would reject non-acidic coffee by now!

Per the dr. I was just in for migranes and they think that might be part of the problem. So I've been off for two weeks, along with a daily over the counter pill, and feeling much better. So I'm thinking it's for good. Can still eat yougurt though, thank goodness.

I got through one or two big french press pots per day. That's 4-6 cups of black-as-night joe. I drink it straight up black - man-style! My favorite is Peets. When I'm in California I buy it fresh and get a mix of Major Dickason's and Costa Rican. Here in Utah they don't have Peets stores. I can buy Major Dickason's at Albertsons. It's not the same. But it will do.

I am curious about the cold brew. But I am concerned about the taste. How about you bring me cup, Yucky?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John, I just did a search and found a shop in the SF Mission District that does their iced coffee with a cold brew system. Check out Ritual Coffee Roasters in the Mission District.

Alternatively, come up to Washington and get it yourself, Peets has nothing, and I say NOTHING on Cravens coffee.

I'm gonna head downstairs and make myself an iced americano and sit on the deck in the sun, listening to the breeze blow through the pine trees and start reading a good book.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

If I put the pink stuff in mine, does that make me less of a man?? I might have to see a therapist about my self image on that one.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

The pink stuff? Like pink milk?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Sweet and Low, didn't they have those commercials out west a few years back?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

That you have to put sweetener in it is unacceptable.

I normally drink mine black, and have found that Starbucks just doesnt taste as good as....well..anything else.

Contrary to what many say, coffee is supposed to TASTE good! It's not all about caffeine, it's about savoring the flavor.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

The majority of people who go to Starbucks aren't getting plain coffee. They are going for some caramel sprinkly lowfat whipped cream mocha chino drink.

However. Starbucks has done wonders for the coffee business. I doubt there would be as many coffee drinkers or independant coffee shops if not for Starbucks.

yeah but they've ceased to be useful in my eyes, they may have started a good thing by popularizing the coffee shop, but now they've grown into a monster that is beginning to end that by somehow getting people to go to them rather than the little guys, though I admit it's not totally the fault of the monster, but it's a convenient scapegoat to me. Seems to me they just sweeten poorly brewed/burned coffee, so people think it tastes good.

you know what they say, life is too short for bad coffee.

end rant due to loss of favorite coffee shop in Petaluma, CA as a result of a 3rd Starbucks

And so I'm not hijacking my own thread...

Cold brew coffee is good.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Mmmmm....coffee. At the moment, I'm enjoying a cup of Starbuck's Verona, brewed in my company cafeteria. In general, I don't think Starbuck's coffee is that great, but there are a lot of different blends, and the way it's brewed can make it or break it. When I have time, I get my coffee from local shops.

This cold brew thing is intriguing, but I also worry about the taste. It sounds like people like it, but I'm afraid it will be too different. I don't consider acidity to necessarily be a bad thing in coffee. It just depends on how much there is. If it's all gone, I'm afraid it would taste weird...but, I'd still like to try it.

To save money, I have a stove top espresso maker...like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Moka-...256084-8844906

The espresso it makes is not quite as concentrated as what you get from a regular espresso maker, but the flavor is great, and it's cheap and easy.

Paul

I've been trying to convince dh to buy a really nice espresso machine. He was holding out. Good thing, now that I don't drink them...been a waste of about $1k

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I've been trying to convince dh to buy a really nice espresso machine. He was holding out. Good thing, now that I don't drink them...been a waste of about $1k
    Did you stop drinking espresso, because you can't have dairy? Have you ever tried an Americano? I was forced to drink straight espresso on vacation once, and by the time we came home, I was loving it. It's just different. The stove top maker is actually good for drinking straight or making Americanos because the espresso is not quite as potent.

Good luck with your migraines. My girlfriend gets them every now and then, so I've seen how bad they can be.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I got through one or two big french press pots per day. That's 4-6 cups of black-as-night joe. I drink it straight up black - man-style! My favorite is Peets.
    Manly man! Presses rule and I have two of them including a small insulated Lexan one that went on the last kayaking trip (instant coffee isn't included in my idea of roughing it). It's a little bit of a pain to carry a bag full of wet grounds with you for a week (no garbage cans in the wilderness) but it's a fair tradeoff.

My sister turned me onto Peet's and they have a bunch of them in Denver. Her "house blend" is a blend of two of theirs. Absolutely excellent.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I recently got a "French Press", it's a lot of work but I think the coffee is much more flavorful..
    I like my coffee, Hot, White and Sweet!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I like my coffee, Hot, White and Sweet!

Brian
    gross.

americanos are good, no milky aftertaste, just the delightful aromatic taste of coffee

I'd rather have this $40 cold brew system than a $1k espresso setup.

for those worried about taste...
    It tastes good, worry NOT about the taste, just do it, it's a cheap thing to try, well worth the risk because you will LOVE it.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Yeah, I gave up the espressos because of the dairy. I've been really happy with the press so far.

btw Steve, coffee grounds are regularly used in composts/gardens. Used grounds are great for the soil.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Am I the only person on this board who has never had a cup of coffee?!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Adina, have you tried any of the Non-dairy creamers or something like Soymilk? I'm not brave enough to try them myself.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Yeah, I gave up the espressos because of the dairy. I've been really happy with the press so far.

btw Steve, coffee grounds are regularly used in composts/gardens. Used grounds are great for the soil.

I am totally bemused - when did espresso have dairy in it? Espresso is a very strong black coffee. Sugar is tolerated in some countries but definitely no dairy.

Espresso with a glass of strong spirit like calvados, or grappa Yummy.

I spent the money and got a bean to cup espresso machine and the coffee is delightful.

Costa, Starbucks - in the UK makes barely drinkable coffee. I go looking for a small Italian café where the coffee is made properly.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Yeah, I gave up the espressos because of the dairy.
    I'll second the recommendation for soy milk. It's worth a try, if you haven't already...especially for cold drinks. I prefer Silk. Most coffee shops have it.

I'm generally very aware of human impact in nature, but I agree with this. On past backpacking trips I've just buried my coffee grounds away from the campsite somewhere. It won't hurt anything, other than possibly spurring the curiosity of some animals. Although, on my recent trip I took instant coffee, so there would be no clean up. It was terrible, but easy.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    I am totally bemused - when did espresso have dairy in it? Espresso is a very strong black coffee. Sugar is tolerated in some countries but definitely no dairy.
    On this side of the pond, hardly anyone drinks espresso straight. It is commonly considered to be too strong, both in taste and caffeine content...although I think most people exagerate the caffeine content. I rarely drink it myself, but I do like it. I prefer a big cup of drip coffee, because I can savor it over a longer period of time.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information