PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Any Idol fans?

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Any Idol fans?

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Who buys CDs??

Whatever you say Mr showtunes lover ;) Sooooomewheeeeere over the mississippi there's a guy who likes show tunes ;)
    Hey, everyone has a soft spot in their heart for Grease Lightening ;)

And someone has to buy the CD so that the rest of us can swipe it from their hardrive! ;)
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Well imo neither one deserve it and they voted off the only ones that even came close to being winners, them being Chris and Paris. Ken and I have different tastes cuz I wouldn't vote for Taylor or Kat. I was so fed up with idol that I watched the CMA awards last night, switching over during the commercials and from what I heard neither one were any good so I didn't miss much. My top 3 would have been Chris, Paris and Mandisa (think thats how you spell her name). Well that is my 2 cents for this idol will have to wait and see what happens next year. Hopefully they find someone other than Paula cuz she drives me nuts!!!

Kim

Some say Kat would make more money if she lost so she would be more flexible with contract offers. Although she is the underdog, supoosedly, she has plenty of offers.

Some also say, Taylor would just be another forgotten AI winner.

The "some" I'm referring to are local news and TV entertainment shows.

I didn't watch last night. I probably won't watch tonight either. I just want to know who wins today.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Paula has a new 4 year contract ;) I agrre with you on everyone but Man DEISEL who was too wartha wash church chore for me.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I almost would rather have 2 of Simon as to have to put up with Paula. The show isn't to bad tonite they have the 12 finalists doing alot of songs together and its not just Taylor and Kat doing all the singing. Well will have to wait and see.

Kim

Pentax Forum Moderator

I love showtunes!!!!! I love most forms of Rock and Roll, Blues, jazz, classical...and even a little bit of country...throw in some R&B, Big Hair, Bubble Gum, and Love Songs. Not real big on opera, but have performed my share. Monteverdi to Megadeath!!!!! and beyond!!!!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

I hear that, but Katherine was just asked to do the voice of Princess Fiona in the next Shrek ;)

SHHHHH... MEGADETH ;)

We were robbed either way it goes IMHO. Mandisa so out sang the girls tonight and Paris held her own too. Chris Rocks!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Pentax Forum Moderator

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

SOUL PATROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

YUCK is all I can say.....Chris is the only Idol in this years show. Thank goodness its over for this year!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim

Well, let's just look at it as the lesser of 2 evils then Kim ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Ken told me I was a sore loser......we will see what he does at least last years idol won on CMA awards and Ken sure didn't want her to win but he isn't into country.

Kim

WOW we loved last night's show. What a program! The last AI show is becoming bigger than the Academy Awards!

My god it was good to hear Mandisa sing again. The woman is such an effortless talent and natural beauty I am so pissed at America for voting her off. Especially since they kept Bucky and Pickler so long after her. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Yes, I am a sore loser too Kim And I hold grudges I agree with you top 3 should have been Mandisa, Paris, and Chris.

Well, of the final 2 remaining, Taylor deserved the win. Although he hasn't sung well in the past 2 days. I imagine someone tuning in for the first time last night and thinking, "these are the best 2 in America?!" I still don't know what America is thinking.

Thank god this is over. Maybe now we can get back to real life. Is anyone actually going to watch the Dancing show next?
    Walter Rick Long

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

A Test!

OK, really, truly now: how many of you are going to spend money to buy a CD/iPod of Taylor? Take away the weird dance moves and what do you have left? Is his voice worth paying for?
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Pentax Forum Moderator

One of our daughters is a dancer/instructor. She recently did a competition in Las Vegas and did pretty good. I love ballroom dancing, but for some reason, like sports, I prefer to participate rather than watch it. So, I probably won't watch the dance thing. I might watch the first show to see what it's going to be, but, like with the "Dancing with the Stars" thing, I probably won't watch much after the first one.
    Yes, it was a good show...but, what was that thing with Meat Loaf and Katharine???? I thought Meat was having an epileptic attack of his voice, and I love Meat Loaf. Oh well, it was a fitting end to Katharines "AI" nightmare. Although, in some of the group things, I think she did well. I might be interested in seeing the live show (if it's free)...but of course, that will be just to see my hero......Chicken Little....wasn't he awesome last night!!!!!! hahahahahahaha
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: A Test!

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    OK, really, truly now: how many of you are going to spend money to buy a CD/iPod of Taylor? Take away the weird dance moves and what do you have left? Is his voice worth paying for?
    I agree with you!!! But in the right venue, I think he'll be a big hit. I see him doing a Vegas show. And he might have a modicum of success as a touring partner for various "Blue eyed" soul artists.

Here's the ticket for him..."WAYNE NEWTON with AI Taylor Hicks" hahahaha
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: A Test!

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    I've already downloaded Taylor's version of "Takin it to the Streets" but I got it for free I am not a big fan of Taylor's voice, just his persona and his attitude. No, I would not pay money for his new single. But if he is given a nice song to record, I would buy it to support him. I also imagine the rest of a Taylor album would be full of funky, bluesy stuff And, as I've said all along, I would definitely pay to see him live. He's about the live performance for me.
    Walter Rick Long

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    SHHHHH... MEGADETH ;)

We were robbed either way it goes IMHO. Mandisa so out sang the girls tonight and Paris held her own too. Chris Rocks!!!!
    OOOPS....I'm always making that mistake...now let see...is it receipt or reciept??? hmmmmmmm hehehehehe (EI - I before E except after C) ...hehehe...but I still make the mistake...there's one.... steak or stake...hehe...shake or sheik (or should it be "sheek")....hehehe...
    Well...at least the engineers can dub in all the words she forgets...but, I hope she doesn't try to recreate her "hit"...Somewhere, Over the Rainbow, I hope that Judy will wake up and teach her how to sing it!!!!!!!!!!
    As for Mandisa and Paris, if they don't get contracts from someone, our world will lose 2 great entertainers.

Oh and it looks like we'll have to wait 'til next season to break the record!!!!!!!
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

I was just pulling your leg Ken ;)

Go through any 5 of my posts and count the errors
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Slowly creeping toward the big 2000 views!

This post oughta help! ;)
    Walter Rick Long

add one more ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Pentax Forum Moderator

Here's one more...and yes Paul...I know your were just kidding...hehe...If we can't have fun on here...then there'd be no sense in enjoying a thread like this...
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

At Taylor's first audition, I told my wife that I would love to pay money to see him perform live. (I also predicted that he would win, but I'll say that as an aside, since no one here will believe me anyway. )

Last night's show was indeed the best thing I have seen on network television in about ten years (not counting The Simpsons). It is getting huge. I was rather upset when Carrie won last year, but having heard a number of her singles and after her performance last night, I must concede that America may have gotten it right.

To those of you who are upset with Paris, Mandisa, and Chris losing: They will get recording deals. I repeat, they will get recording deals. IMO Chris sounded better than Ed Kowalczyk singing his own song. The problem is, is that how many solo artists succeed in the alternative arena. Chris will have to have a great band around him and hopefully he has the talent to write his own stuff, because I don't think he is the kind of guy to just get up and sing material that doesn't mean much to him.

Paris will make a lot of money covering the classics, and Mandisa should have her own show on a big stage in Vegas some day.

As for Taylor's voice. It is good. We must remember that all performances by him seen thus far were live. Very few (Stipe, Bono, Dave Matthews) are excellent live performers. Once we get Taylor into the studio, his singles and albums will be as polished as anything else out there. That said, he is a much better performer than the other Idols. That is why he won and the others didn't.

Now, onto that new dance contest. THAT will be entertaining.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by greghalliday
    At Taylor's first audition, I told my wife that I would love to pay money to see him perform live. (I also predicted that he would win, but I'll say that as an aside, since no one here will believe me anyway. )

Last night's show was indeed the best thing I have seen on network television in about ten years (not counting The Simpsons). It is getting huge. I was rather upset when Carrie won last year, but having heard a number of her singles and after her performance last night, I must concede that America may have gotten it right.

To those of you who are upset with Paris, Mandisa, and Chris losing: They will get recording deals. I repeat, they will get recording deals. IMO Chris sounded better than Ed Kowalczyk singing his own song. The problem is, is that how many solo artists succeed in the alternative arena. Chris will have to have a great band around him and hopefully he has the talent to write his own stuff, because I don't think he is the kind of guy to just get up and sing material that doesn't mean much to him.

Paris will make a lot of money covering the classics, and Mandisa should have her own show on a big stage in Vegas some day.

As for Taylor's voice. It is good. We must remember that all performances by him seen thus far were live. Very few (Stipe, Bono, Dave Matthews) are excellent live performers. Once we get Taylor into the studio, his singles and albums will be as polished as anything else out there. That said, he is a much better performer than the other Idols. That is why he won and the others didn't.

Now, onto that new dance contest. THAT will be entertaining.

Greg
    You're right, I wouldn't believe you ;)

We were happy that America chose the "good soul" rather than the ditzy blonde for instance. Hopefully he will be a good role model for kids - and adults for that matter.

I'm not so sure Mandisa and Paris will get deals. I'm sure we'll hear from Paris again in a few years. But I don't know about Mandisa. I can see her sticking with her gospel roots and slipping back into obsecurity...

I agree about Carrie Underwood doing well. She kinda put this year's idols to shame
    Walter Rick Long

Pentax Forum Moderator

I haven't seen Clay Aiken in quite awhile, his new look and sound blew me away. I liked him from the beginning. I liked Ruben too, but Clay definitely got robbed.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information