PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    .... and still people will deny the truth of global warming. This is getting to a point where anyone who doesn't acknowledge global warming is beginning to equate themselves closely to living in a cave.

    CONGRATULATIONS to Al Gore and the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change for sharing the Nobel Peace Prize this morning!

    One last time, for those who still choose not to believe in human-caused global warming, here's how it works:

    1) Burning fossil fuels creates carbon dioxide. If you do not understand this, click here.
    2) Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. If you do not understand this, click here.
    3) Greenhouse gases make the earth warm. If you do not understand this, click here.
    4) Making the earth warmer makes its ice melt. Our polar ice caps and the country of Greenland are... or are covered in... ice. If you do not understand this, click here. Making the earth warmer also causes stronger storms. If you do not understand this, click here.
    5) Melting ice will cause the ocean's levels to go up. Stronger storms cause more loss of life and increased property damage. Here and here.
    6) We don't like seeing our coastlines flooded, and we don't like seeing people die.
    7) Therefore, it is wise to stop burning fossil fuels.


    It's already too late for us. We are only working on making changes for our grandchildren at this point.

    I am not going to respond to any more attacks or criticisms of Al Gore or Global Warming in this thread. You just need to go and start reading. You can start here.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  2. #2
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Middle Florida
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    So Rick, one question for ya. Is Al going to throw his hat in???

    I'm hoping... :thumbsup:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

    -Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

    Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

  3. #3
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    It can't be happening - look how cold it is today! Seriously, I've heard people say stuff like that. Might want to look just a little bit deeper...

    Plenty of arguements out there on whether or not he should have won. Like it or not, he did. I'm glad that the by-product of his winning this award is that it puts the actual issue out there on the headlines today.

  4. #4
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Perryville, MD
    Posts
    648

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    The Peace Prize has always been very controversial. The arguments one sees about the winners of this prize are all but missing with Physics, Medicine, etc.

    Gore has done a good thing alerting people to the problem of global warming. To my taste, he tends to get almost hysterical at times. But hey, I guess that's just enthusiasm and dedication!

    Congratulations to Gore and all the other winners.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

  5. #5
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Rumor says no I've seen interviews with him and he seems very tired of politics. His passion is the environment, and look what he has been able to accomplish in the private sector after leaving Washington. My 10 bucks says he stays out, and instead we see the Democratic hopefulls spilling into the global warming party trying to ride the momentum of his achievement.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  6. #6
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    I agree. Global warming is going to be one of those issues where at this point, few of its remaining opponents will be convinced, but they will die, and the next generation will be raised with it as fact. There it will take hold in our culture, and eventually politics.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  7. #7
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    I actually thought he remained quite reserved given the passion he has for the subject. But, I guess he can cut loose at times He probably learned early on in his political career that rabid fanaticism would alienate his target population, so he has learned to keep it under wraps. Given that though, he is very dedicated to this cause.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  8. #8
    Senior Member mn shutterbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    2,386

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    .... and still people will deny the truth of global warming. This is getting to a point where anyone who doesn't acknowledge global warming is beginning to equate themselves closely to living in a cave.
    Very well said, Rick. I certainly hope the "cave dwellers" check out the links you posted.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Oldest City (in the US of A)
    Posts
    102

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    And the courts in Britain have decreed that his "documentary" cna only be shown with warmings concerning 11 exagerations or outright lies. The Nobel prize for peace has become a joke. Yasser Arrafat, Jimmy Carter and now Al Bore. Get rid of the tin-foil and dump the kool-aid down the drain.

    Al Bore has always been a joke and hollywierd proved their credibility by giving him an oscar. And now the nobel committee has proven the level of their idiocy.

    Check facts, not bore's hype.

  10. #10
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Perryville, MD
    Posts
    648

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    And the courts in Britain have decreed that his "documentary" cna only be shown with warmings concerning 11 exagerations or outright lies. The Nobel prize for peace has become a joke. Yasser Arrafat, Jimmy Carter and now Al Bore. Get rid of the tin-foil and dump the kool-aid down the drain.

    Al Bore has always been a joke and hollywierd proved their credibility by giving him an oscar. And now the nobel committee has proven the level of their idiocy.

    Check facts, not bore's hype.
    Jimmy Carter has done more for the world than any other former president in recent history. Lousy president but definately going beyond the call of duty ever since. Perhaps you'd prefer he sat on his backside like other former presidents have?

    So, documentaries need government oversight? Does that apply to all documentaries? If I do one on the holocaust does that mean I should be forced to air the opinions of those who say it never happened? If someone does a documentary about vaccinations causing autism should that person be forced by the government to show the other side of the issue? Perhaps a documentary about anything controversial should be modified to reflect the the government's opinion.

    In this country we have the Constitution that prevents the government from exerting this sort of control. Britain does not have those protections clearly listed and can do this type of thing.

    Your tone indicates a severe lack of maturity. Let's see, Al Bore, "documentary", tin-foil, kool-aid, hollyweird, bore's hype... When your argument is weak, hide it with a bunch of useless put-downs. If you have something intelligent to convey, grow up and lay it out for all of us to see.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

  11. #11
    light wait photophorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,910

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Thanks for posting this, Rick. I hate to be negative, but I don't think any amount of logic and/or proof is going to change the minds of those who can't separate the facts from the politics. I saw a political cartoon this weekend that was making fun of Gore winning the prize and they actually used the "inventing the internet" (mis)quote to make fun of him. That says it all, as far as I'm concerned. If someone still believes something as ridiculous and easy to disprove as that, then they'll never open their minds long enough to consider something as complicated as the global warming issue.

    I'll stop complaining now so I can mention something interesting I saw on a Nova special the other day. I haven't had a chance to research any of this, so take it for what it is. It seems logical... The show was called Dimming of the Sun, and here's a link to some information on it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sun/ Basically, the premise is that particulate air pollution blocks some of the sun's rays from hitting the earth, and this has a cooling effect. This is not contrary to the greenhouse effect. It is in addition to it. The particles in the atmosphere help to counteract the greenhouse effect. Back in the 80s a lot was done to reduce these kinds of emissions because people were getting sick and there was the big acid rain scare. As a result, the air really is cleaner now, and there are a lot less of those particles to block the sun. These scientists think that the greenhouse effect has been underestimated all this time, because the counteracting force of the particulate pollution was not being taken into account. They think this is why many of the current climate models are under predicting actual temperature increases, and things are going to be worse (hotter sooner) than the consensus view.

    I don't think Al is being overzealous. I think he is being cautious.

    Paul

  12. #12
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Perryville, MD
    Posts
    648

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Thanks for posting this, Rick. I hate to be negative, but I don't think any amount of logic and/or proof is going to change the minds of those who can't separate the facts from the politics. I saw a political cartoon this weekend that was making fun of Gore winning the prize and they actually used the "inventing the internet" (mis)quote to make fun of him. That says it all, as far as I'm concerned. If someone still believes something as ridiculous and easy to disprove as that, then they'll never open their minds long enough to consider something as complicated as the global warming issue.

    I'll stop complaining now so I can mention something interesting I saw on a Nova special the other day. I haven't had a chance to research any of this, so take it for what it is. It seems logical... The show was called Dimming of the Sun, and here's a link to some information on it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sun/ Basically, the premise is that particulate air pollution blocks some of the sun's rays from hitting the earth, and this has a cooling effect. This is not contrary to the greenhouse effect. It is in addition to it. The particles in the atmosphere help to counteract the greenhouse effect. Back in the 80s a lot was done to reduce these kinds of emissions because people were getting sick and there was the big acid rain scare. As a result, the air really is cleaner now, and there are a lot less of those particles to block the sun. These scientists think that the greenhouse effect has been underestimated all this time, because the counteracting force of the particulate pollution was not being taken into account. They think this is why many of the current climate models are under predicting actual temperature increases, and things are going to be worse (hotter sooner) than the consensus view.

    I don't think Al is being overzealous. I think he is being cautious.

    Paul
    We use the Global Dimming PBS DVD in our weather clesses here at the college. Quite frankly, until I saw this documentary, I never thought about it!
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Oldest City (in the US of A)
    Posts
    102

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Jimmy Carter has done more for the world than any other former president in recent history. Lousy president but definately going beyond the call of duty ever since. Perhaps you'd prefer he sat on his backside like other former presidents have?

    Jimmy Carter has become one of the most dangerous enemies of the United states. He, like john kerry, wants the UN to run United States Foriegn Policy. Totally Unacceptable. He needs to go back to building houses or growing peanuts.

    Your tone indicates a severe lack of maturity. Let's see, Al Bore, "documentary", tin-foil, kool-aid, hollyweird, bore's hype... When your argument is weak, hide it with a bunch of useless put-downs. If you have something intelligent to convey, grow up and lay it out for all of us to see.
    My arguments against al bore are VERY STRONG. The people that drink his koll-aid are the weak who cannot think for themselves. Check this link for some of the truth about "Inconvenient Truth", actually, untruth and hype. It's pure politics.

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2632660.ece

  14. #14
    light wait photophorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,910

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    My arguments against al bore are VERY STRONG. The people that drink his koll-aid are the weak who cannot think for themselves. Check this link for some of the truth about "Inconvenient Truth", actually, untruth and hype. It's pure politics.

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2632660.ece
    I'm glad you posted this. It shows just how desperate the anti-global warming crowd has grown. It's right there in the first sentence. The judge ruled that the movie could still be distributed to schools around the country, which speaks much louder than any details you can pick apart. The over-all message is not being disputed.

  15. #15
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Perryville, MD
    Posts
    648

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    My arguments against al bore are VERY STRONG. The people that drink his koll-aid are the weak who cannot think for themselves. Check this link for some of the truth about "Inconvenient Truth", actually, untruth and hype. It's pure politics.

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2632660.ece
    Good grief, the childish silliness never ends. Let me guess, you are a young teenager, right? I have had lots of intense disagreements with others on this site but, in all cases, their points were made in a rational and intelligent way. You seem to be locked into this endless loop of ridiculous name calling and the making of wild unsubstantiated claims. Very, very sad.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Oldest City (in the US of A)
    Posts
    102

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    Good grief, the childish silliness never ends. Let me guess, you are a young teenager, right? I have had lots of intense disagreements with others on this site but, in all cases, their points were made in a rational and intelligent way. You seem to be locked into this endless loop of ridiculous name calling and the making of wild unsubstantiated claims. Very, very sad.
    Acually, I'm a retired Design Engineer from Boeing Military Aircraft Co. And there are just way to many of us that are very tired of the junk science put forth by the Enviro-Nazis of this world. These are the exact same people that were trying to scare us all 30 years ago with the impending "Ice Age". And they were right then. In fact, doubly right, because now there are 2, count 'em, 2 "Ice Age" movies. Kinda cute too. Global Warming is almost certainly real. My, and your, contribution to it???? Very much in doubt.

    Yes, the scientists that argue against almost all work for private enterprise. Because, if you work in academia or the governmaent and don't toe the line you are gone in a heart beat.

    So when REAL science, not whatever is the popular cause today, tells me that I need to change, I'll be first in line. Until then, all I can do is ridicule people like al bore and the entire hollywierd establishment.

  17. #17
    light wait photophorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,910

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    ....there are just way to many of us that are very tired of the junk science put forth by the Enviro-Nazis of this world. These are the exact same people that were trying to scare us all 30 years ago with the impending "Ice Age".
    There are many differences between what's going on now and the ice age scare from 30 years ago. Back then, the scientists were much less certain about what was happening and it was the media that made a big deal about the alarmist claims of a few fringe scientists. Now we have a majority of scientists in every industrialized nation, all in agreement that human activity is contributing to climate change. If you can't see the difference, you're not looking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    So when REAL science, not whatever is the popular cause today, tells me that I need to change, I'll be first in line.
    How are you going to identify this "REAL science" when it's presented to you?

  18. #18
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Perryville, MD
    Posts
    648

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    Acually, I'm a retired Design Engineer from Boeing Military Aircraft Co. And there are just way to many of us that are very tired of the junk science put forth by the Enviro-Nazis of this world. These are the exact same people that were trying to scare us all 30 years ago with the impending "Ice Age". And they were right then. In fact, doubly right, because now there are 2, count 'em, 2 "Ice Age" movies. Kinda cute too. Global Warming is almost certainly real. My, and your, contribution to it???? Very much in doubt.

    Yes, the scientists that argue against almost all work for private enterprise. Because, if you work in academia or the governmaent and don't toe the line you are gone in a heart beat.

    So when REAL science, not whatever is the popular cause today, tells me that I need to change, I'll be first in line. Until then, all I can do is ridicule people like al bore and the entire hollywierd establishment.
    Wow! I was giving you the benefit of the doubt when I guessed you were a teenager. For someone of your background and age, you should have a much better grasp of the English language. You should know how to present a coherent argument without the silly nonsensical phrases and words. Even if you were presenting any sort of rational argument, it would be lost under the clutter of your child-like writing style.

    I guess you have no idea whatsoever that global warming does lead to an ice age. "What!" you exclaim. Try learning something about how global warming affects the ocean currents and how that, in turn, leads to an ice age in the midst of global highs. Learning is fundamental.

    Yes, as stated so many times before by everyone, there have been ups and downs in greenhouse gasses and global temperatures long before the industrial revolution. What makes this different is that the levels of greenhouse gasses this time around is magnitudes higher than anything in the past. That is data you can look up. We aren't the cause of global warming, we are the ones throwing it out of control.

    If you get your science from Al Gore movies, right-wing talk radio, and super-ultra-right wing mailings (yes, I got that self-published junk in my mailbox at college) then you do not have the background you need to form a coherent opinion.

    Those working in academia must "toe the line"? What academic institution do you work for? Please, expose this horrible situation to the public! Call your congressman! Call newspapers and television news. Present the facts you have to back this statement up!

    So, what is "real" science? Is that a science that lets you do whatever you like? Is that science that is harshly painted by politics? Let's face it, in your "hollyweird", "al bore", "enviro-nazi" world, nothing really works, does it?

    Uh oh, it just occurred to me. Is it possible we have a rare-on-this-site troll? Stir up an argument just for the sake of mixing things up... That would explain a lot...
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

  19. #19
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Newsweek:

    The Truth About Denial

    Might explain a lot
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  20. #20
    Senior Member mn shutterbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    2,386

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Walter, thanks for the link. That was very good reading, for both believers and skeptics.

    I'm beginning to wonder if Glasstream works for Exxon.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

  21. #21
    Nikon/SIG f5fstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    78

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Can someone really pay any attention to the Nobel Prize and the people who win it, in any category, anymore? I lost face in the Nobel organization back in 1994 when they awarded Yasser Arafat the Nobel peace price.

    As for giving Al Gore credit for anything, the only credit I would give the man is the fact he is making money. He has created a religion where those who do not believe in what he is saying are not heard, called ignorant or are eluded to work for oil companies. There have been quite a few knowledgeable people who have offered to debate Al on TV; so far, he has managed to ignore all of these requests. Why is this? (http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=20873).

    Al Gore is part of the crowd that likes to tell you what you should do, but does different. This, “do as I say, not what I do” crowd is one reason why I would not pay much heed to whatever Al has to say. It has been proved that he certainly does not live by his own words.

    In 2006, the Gore home in Nashville TN used 191,000 kilowatt hours of electricity. To give you some perspective of this, an average house in Nashville uses 15,600 kilowatts hours of electricity per year. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2909396).

    Now, to give Al some credit, he never denied this, then again, how do you deny the truth when it can be easily proved that it is a fact. He states that all this electricity is offset via the purchase of energy credits. I won’t get into whether or not energy credits are worthwhile or worthless; however, purchasing energy credits from a company you are going to end up profiting from is more proof, the man is a hypocrite.

    (LA Times, an extremely liberal paper on whether or not energy credits are meaningful or not… http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...la-home-center.)

    Al Gore purchases his so-called offset carbon credits from his own company, Generation Investment Management LLP. Therefore, is he really spending money to be carbon neutral or is he spending money to appear he is really carbon neutral?
    (http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/cover031307.htm).

    What Al preaches, many reputable scientists dispute, and these scientists do not work for Exxon, so let us not go there. For every scientist who is against global warming that works for an oil company, there are those scientists who work for companies that obtain their money from liberal causes. Colleges are good for that, remember professors like to obtain grants and obtaining grants from liberal organizations mean they have to produce liberal views. So again, not all scientists are swayed by either the oil companies or the liberals, they are swayed by the truth.
    (http://www.smh.com.au:80/news/enviro...96238792.html).

    Now that I have explained why I cannot stand Al Gore or put any faith in what he is trying to sell me, I will give my opinions on Global Warming. That is all they are, my opinions, but they are based on a massive amount of research over the past few years. I am not a scientist; I have a degree in electrical engineering and criminal justice. I will not go into where I currently work, it is not an oil company, but I will say for 16 years I worked in the Federal Company for one of the alphabet agencies. Therefore, I do not believe I am a dumb person. My political views are middle of the road, so don’t start implying I’m a conservative nut. I believe in abortion, I do not believe in prayer in school, but I don’t believe in government entitlements and I do not believe that the local governments can protect you as some politicians would like you to believe. So, I am not some nut who is sitting here spouting is views. I am a person who has studied this subject for the past few years via papers, scientific documents both in paper and on the internet. I read four different papers a day, as well as Newsweek.

    I honestly believe we are in a period of Global Warming. I believe that the temps are rising, the arctic is melting (however, since the arctic is a big ice cube floating in an ocean, I do not believe the water levels will rise. The ice cube has already displaced most of the water to its current level.) I have a big problem believing global warming is due to mankind. I just question why the temperatures are rising.

    Could this rise in temperatures be temporary? It is not unjustified to think this. During the period of 890-1170 AD, temps rose significantly and this period become known as the medieval warming period. After this period the temperatures dropped. Could we be in another temporary period of warming? Some scientists believe this to be a fact.
    (http://www.smh.com.au:80/news/enviro...696238792.html)

    Some scientists will tell you that global warming is due to mother nature and there is nothing we, as man, can do to change this. This theory has basis due to the facts of how the earth has warmed and cooled over the 4.6 billion years it has been revolving in space.
    When Al or any of the global warming alarmists show charts, they like to show charts that date back approximately 100-200 years. This one, from 1880 to the present does show a rise in global temperatures. .

    However, how about a chart that shows the warming/cooling period over a longer period.

    This one dates from the Precambrian period to the present. This shows it is quite natural for the earth to go through warming/cooling periods every x-number of years. Why this happens is in dispute and probably will be forever. Could it be sunrays, tilt of the earth, cosmic rays, etc., I certainly do not know the answer; hell, scientists are still arguing over why these warming/cooling periods happen. However, there is one thing for certain, these warming/cooling periods in the past 4.6 billion years were not cause by man.
    One study done by the UN says that animals produce more CO2 than automobiles or trucks. (http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...1=environment).

    Now, you could make a reasonable argument that this is man’s fault since these animals would not be raised in such a high concentration except to feed man.

    There are some scientists that state global warming is due to Mother Nature and that man is helping it along by a few hundred to a thousand years. This is the theory I believe it, since from my recliner, it appears to make more sense. Why does it make sense to me? Well, I have scientific proof that the earth has gone through these warming/cooling cycles, I also have read there is proof that hydrocarbons, when in a large enough concentration, can affect the weather. However, this goes against the global warming fanatics who state it is due to only mankinds burning of fossil fuels. However, from what I have read, this will only push up global warming by approximately 500-1000 years. This is infinitesimal when compared to the life of the earth.

    There is also a group of scientists out there, and this group is growing that states that global warming may not be actually bad for mankind in the end. During the Mesozoic era, the earth was a lot warmer than it is now, and during that warm and moist time, plant life grew almost every where one earth. During this time period there was NO ice at either pole, and yet, this warm period was able to support an extremely large population of animals. Animals that were weighed in tons not poundage as today. Yes, with no Antarctica we would lose some cities along the coastal regions, So, could global warming actually be a good thing?

    Again, I believe in global warming, however, I do not believe in a hypocrite who tries to make it sound like man is the only reason for this change in climate. A man who is one of the biggest hypocrites to ever win an Academy aware or a Nobel Prize.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

    Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

  22. #22
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    "I also have read there is proof that hydrocarbons, when in a large enough concentration, can affect the weather. ... However, from what I have read, this will only push up global warming by approximately 500-1000 years."

    Careful, you're making the other side's point here.

    Unlike you, I have not heard anyone say that we are the singular cause of global warming (though we may be.) That we affect the weather and the temperature of the earth is demonstrated here in your post. That is all. To moderate our activities is to moderate the earth's temperature, that is the point.

    And yes, cattle farming does provide an enormous amount of methane gas, another greenhouse gas I believe.

    As for Al Gore, don't kill the messenger. Even if he were a hypocrite, does that change the fact that you can burn less coal and fossil fuels?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  23. #23
    Senior Member mn shutterbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SW MN
    Posts
    2,386

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    [QUOTE=walterick
    Unlike you, I have not heard anyone say that we are the singular cause of global warming (though we may be.) That we affect the weather and the temperature of the earth is demonstrated here in your post. That is all. To moderate our activities is to moderate the earth's temperature, that is the point.
    [/QUOTE]

    This is true, from what I've read recently. We are contributing, not the only cause.

    I am curious about one thing. How in the world can anyone measure what the earth's temperature was billions of years ago? I don't think it's possible, no matter how large and refined of a super computer in use.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

  24. #24
    Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Perryville, MD
    Posts
    648

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    I am curious about one thing. How in the world can anyone measure what the earth's temperature was billions of years ago? I don't think it's possible, no matter how large and refined of a super computer in use.
    You look at cores taken from land and ice. You also look at the results gained from the surface/ocean geology (shows signs of changes) and the evidence of cultural anthropologists. Supercomputers have little or nothing to do with the experimental collection of data.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

  25. #25
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize...

    Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli2
    You look at cores taken from land and ice.
    One of the many things scientists do in Antarctica - great place to study this with an icecap that's about two miles thick.

    I think the most important thing we can do is try to be cautious. If there are a bunch of scientists that think moderating consumption is a good idea and if not, this may happen - that's a pretty good message. Maybe every single one of them is wrong, but why tempt fate?

    As for the prize itself, I'm not a big fan of it. Ghandi never won it. Our illustrious former Governor was nominated after commuting all death row inmates to life sentence (however this nominee would be found guilty of federal corruption charges in the months to come, lost his State pension and may serve a short sentence himself). It's just like yet another "top 10" list to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •