Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Tip #33 If you use a wide angle lens you may find this tip very helpful

If you use a wide angle lens you may find this tip very helpful

When you use a wide angle lens and take pictures of architecture or photos that have straight lines in them you might have noticed that the picture may have some distortion in it because of the wide angle it was shot at. This distortion can be fixed in PhotoShop or one of the other many post processing programs on the market but did you know that you can fix this very easily with your camera just by using the software within your Nikon D7000. The nice thing about doing this within the camera is that it keeps the original and saves all the changes on a separate file. As long as you have your image on the SD card it can be changed at the time it was taken or changed later at your convenience. Using your camera to do this is quick and does not require any additional programs that may be expensive or require learning how to do the correction with the new program. This in camera program will allow you to correct the distortion by the lens that causes lines to bend and get out of proportion. It is easy to fix so why not give it a try.

Here is how you do it

First bring up a picture that needs adjustment and correction on the rear LCD screen
    Next press the OK button found in the middle of the multi selector button
    Scroll through the menu until you get to Perspective control and press OK
    Now use the four arrows on the multi selector button to make your adjustments and press OK and your done!

You will notice on the new corrected version of the picture that a icon will appear on the screen of the adjusted picture near the top of the screen indicating that this is the file or photo that has been modified. See how simple this is to accomplish and remember that you still have the original file and that the adjustments have been saved on an additional copy of the photo. Having this ability to straighten images taken with a wide angle lens wil be very helpful and give you the ability to easily improve your pictures.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Nikon D7000 tips

Another gem of a tip Jeff. Cheers..

Great thread Paw - Tip 29 about extending playback, i'd like to manually keep the playback working but on a 'zoomed' image ie zoomed in on a child then passwed to a friend.

Presume this can't be done ? unless i hard set the value in the menu system ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
    Great thread Paw - Tip 29 about extending playback, i'd like to manually keep the playback working but on a 'zoomed' image ie zoomed in on a child then passwed to a friend.

Presume this can't be done ? unless i hard set the value in the menu system ?
    As far as I know what you stated is correct. It would have to have the time extended within the camera menus, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Special thanks to everyone

When I first purchased my Nikon D7000 I tried searching on the internet for any tips or information that might help me with my new camera and didn't have much luck finding any. My purpose for this thread was to just write down a few things that I had found out playing around with my camera that might be helpful to other D7000 owners. My intentions were to write a few things and that would be all but it just seemed to attract more attention as time went on. This thread has had a large number of views from the start that kept me trying to come up with new things to add. The view count for the last 24 hours alone has shown that this thread has been viewed 624 times and I am just astonished at how much interest has been shown towards this information. I would just like to give a VERY BIG THANK YOU to all that have read it and returned to check out the thread for new tips. My goal is to continue posting as long as I can come up with new ideas. If you have any suggestions for tips please email them to me and thanks again for your interest in the tips thread, Jeff

To EMail me just click on the name Grandpaw over to the left hand side of the page just above my picture.

Awesome tips Grandpaw!!

I especially found helpful the tips on reducing noise, using the fill flash and the focusing in low light!! An of course how to put the focus point back to the center!!

Thanks for the tips.

Almost makes me wish I had a D7000. Some of the tips are applicable to my D300 but I think that a lot are for newer models. Time to buy a new camera..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

Almost makes me wish I had a D7000. Some of the tips are applicable to my D300 but I think that a lot are for newer models. Time to buy a new camera..
    Charles, thanks for taking a look! I have no way of knowing what other cameras some of these tips will work on so I am leaving it up to the individual readers to see if they can benefit from the tip or not. Some of the tips are good and will work for any camera but all of them will work with the Nikon D7000. I think one of the tips that I find most helpful and use on every shot was tip #3 for me, showing me where the actual point of focus was in each picture viewed on the rear LCD screen. This eliminates a lot of surprises later when reviewing my images on my computer.

I would be interested in finding out which tip each reader found the most helpful, Jeff

I think many people would pay for the amount of info you have collected ...

Great Thread

Along the same line as Franglais, I'm finding some of this applies to my D5000, and some does not. I've gotten some good stuff out of this thread, though, so thanks!!!

Tip #34 Does part of your photo disappear when you have enlargements made?

Does part of your photo disappear when you have enlargements made?

One of the selling features of the Nikon D7000 is that 100% of what you see in the viewfinder is what you get on your card. This can be helpful or it can cause you problems when you get standard size enlargements made such as 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20. The aspect ration or how the side of the picture relates to the length changes when you print larger than 4x6 prints. A 4x6 print is printed at 3:2 aspect ratio which will include everything that was seen in the viewfinder in the print. When you print a 5x7 image it prints at 4:3 aspect ratio which will cause you to loose a little of the length (see picture below). When you jump to 8x10 and above the aspect ratio will be 5:4 and remain the same for 11x14 and 16x20 and cut off even more of your image. Basically what all this means is that when you enlarge your pictures using the standard sizes mentioned above you will loose some of you picture on either end. You need to keep this in mind when framing your shot and leave enough room so your prints don't have important subject mater cut off when printed. When you plan on making enlargements just keep in mind that while looking through the viewfinder that you will have about 2/3s of the distance from the long edge of the picture and where the outline or your metering system starts in your display that will not get printed and that includes both ends as shown in the picture below.
    What this means is, what you want to be on the print needs to be not much wider that the outline for your metering display in the viewfinder so that all of your subject will be included in the print.

If aspect ratios and numbers sound confusing, what it is saying is that a 4x6 print is the same scale as what you are seeing in the viewfinder allowing everything that was seen in the viewfinder to fit in the print. The bigger sizes like 8x10s which are in more of a square shape so that all the subject doesn't fit like it does in the longer slimmer shape of the 4x6. Think wide screen vs regular screen.

After taking a picture if you would like apply a crop to it or see what the final crop would look like you can check it out right on the spot with the software in your camera.

Here is how you do it.

While viewing a picture on the rear LCD screen press the OK button
    Next scroll down to "Trim" and press OK again
    Use the main command dial at the top right rear side of the camera to choose the aspect ratio you want to see 4x6= 3:2 , 5x7=4:3, 8x10, 11x14 and 16x20 are all 5:4
    By scrolling through the different aspect ratios you can see exactly how your picture will get cropped.
    While the outline is displayed on the picture you can use the arrows on the multi function selector button on the rear of the camera to move the crop frame around the picture to get just what you want to be in the final picture and press OK

Remember that if you take a picture and decide to go ahead and OK the cropped version for printing later it will be saved as a copy and the original will stay intact on your card. Any of the different options you try will create a copy and not alter the original, so play with your different options and see what you can come up with. After all you purchased the D7000 for what it can do so give it a try. This will allow you to crop you pictures without any additional software.

This is a screen shot of a full picture and you can see that it was fine until the example of the 8x10 crop was over laid on the picture. The crop would make the image much to crowded. This is why you need to keep in mind what the end results need to look like and give yourself some extra room to play with. You can crop sections out but you can't add them on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon D7000 tips-screen-shot-2012-03-03-10.31.jpg  

Smile Re: Nikon D7000 tips

Hi Jeff,

I am still waiting for delivery of my new D7000 which is delayed due to the flooding , anyway... regarding posts #39 and #40, have you been able to find out yet?

I had a look around the net and found that the settings file has to be called NCSETUP7.BIN so could you save each individual setting in a seperate folder and name the folder accordingly?

Regards,

Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzargh View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I am still waiting for delivery of my new D7000 which is delayed due to the flooding , anyway... regarding posts #39 and #40, have you been able to find out yet?

I had a look around the net and found that the settings file has to be called NCSETUP7.BIN so could you save each individual setting in a seperate folder and name the folder accordingly?

Regards,
    p
    Murray
    Supposedly you can do that but I tried for about 3 weeks and never was successful. So the answer to your question should be yes but I can't tell you how to do it. Sorry about not posting a reply. I will be posting another tip in the next week or two that I am working on that may help you some in regards to a similar topic, Jeff

Nice Forum with good tips.

I acquired my D7000 with f3.5 18-200 ED to reduce my camera size & weight travelling. I wanted the benefits of an DSLR but I did not need to pack all the gear around plus the airlines are not making it friendly to travel anymore. I did a lot of research before I decided on the D7000.

This is my first Nikon, so I have a bit of a learning curve. My older camera is a Olympus E-500 with f2.8 14-54 ED and a f2.8 50-200 ED SWD and a 1.4x Tela-converter. The camera body is a bit dated with today's models but the lenses are fantastic. The main draw was the 18-200 ED lens, one lens to do the work of my three, although it is a compromise over my previous lens. I dropped over 3 kg going this route and only one lens. We trek'ed all over France with my old camera and lens, but packing it for long days became cumbersome. With the trains, planes, boats, and cars the less you carry the better your trip is.

So I greatly appreciate your forum as I have having a few issues learning to master the D2k, especially master the AF system. So keep them coming!

Tip #35 Ever consider trying "Active D Lighting" or "Regular D Lighting"

Ever consider trying "Active D Lighting" or "Regular D Lighting"

If your one of those people that would like to make a few adjustments to your photos but don't want to spend money on new software or have a big learning curve to deal with to be able to see results, this tip may be for you. You can apply D Lighting right in your camera without any additional software and you have two choices on D Lighting. You can put your camera in ADL (Active D Lighting) after choosing from five different levels to apply and your camera will make all of the adjustments for you or you can take the picture and apply adjustments later with you choosing what gets done.

First of all you need to know what D Lighting does to decide whether it is something that you may be interested in trying or not. In the dark areas it helps to open up some of the details that you cannot see well and it also helps the highlighted areas from being blown out as much. It is not a cure all but it is a tool that may help you improve your pictures. When you have your settings set to Active D Lighting the camera will automatically adjust and apply the adjustments to the original picture as it is taken and the camera is in control. On the other hand if you apply the D Lighting after the picture is taken you can choose the results from a couple of choices and when you save your choice your camera will save it to a copy and the original will stay intact.

This is how you apply D lighting after you take the shot (What I would recommend first).
    Pull up a picture and while viewing it on the rear LCD screen press the OK button
    Scroll up or down until you have D Lighting highlighted and press OK
    Use the multi selector to choose one of the options and press OK

This is how you turn on Active D Lighting
    Go to the shooting menu which is the second one down on the left and looks like a camera
    Scroll down to Active D Lighting and press OK
    Choose on of the five choices or OFF and press OK

You will also notice in this area that you have other choices of different things that you can do to change your picture so experiment. Remember that any changes that you make and save will be saved to a copy and the original will stay unaltered. My suggestion would be to try regular D Lighting first and check out the results so that you have the original file still in tact or if you try the Active D Lighting first to go out and try it on several test shots before using it on any pictures you plan on keeping. This is another option that you have available to use if you are not someone that uses Photoshop or some other post processing software. As with all the tips my suggestion would be to give it a try and see if it is something that you like or not, Jeff

Hello,

Thank you for the thread, very interesting.

I'm a casual/amateur photographer that came back to SLR after a 20 year break ! Nice to learn more about the D7000 that I own since December 2011.

Keep it up !

Cheers

Tip #36 Getting a custom look to your pictures under many different situations

Getting a custom look to your pictures under many different situations

In tip #22, I discussed using the different settings in the SHOOTING MENU under the sub listing PICTURE CONTROLS. You have a choice between Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, or Landscape. If you have tried using any of these settings and they were close but not exactly the look you wanted than this tip is for you. With the Nikon D7000 you have the ability to pick one of the selections and adjust and tweak it to get exactly the look you want and then save it in one of the nine custom locations available. The D7000 gives you the ability to name and customize nine different looks so your pictures will give you just the feeling you want with just the touch of a button. If you add any custom picture controls they will be added to the six different choices already listed under PICTURE CONTROL. This is another one of the many advanced features of the D7000 that will give you the ability to get your picture to have your own special look or style.

Here is how you do it

Go to the SHOOTING MENU which is the second one down on the left and looks like a camera and press the right arrow button
    Next use the arrows on the multi function button to locate Manage Picture Control and press OK
    Now highlight the Save/edit selection and press OK
    Choose one of the six picture controls and the press the right arrow button
    Use the multi selection button to adjust each of the different settings to get the effect you want and press the OK button to save the settings.
    Now choose one of the Save as locations and press OK
    Use the multi selector button to put in the name of your custom setting
    When you are done adding the name you will need to press the QUAL button at the bottom left corner at the rear of your camera to save your setting with your new name and you are done

Now when you go to the shooting menu and select PICTURE CONTROL you will see your new custom named setting added to the bottom of the original list. Remember that you now not only have the original six options to choose from you will also have any custom settings that have been added.
    This would be a good thing to add to MY MENU so you have quick access for changing settings. The MY MENU can be found at the six location down on the left hand side of the main menu. Hope this is something many of you will find useful, Jeff

Another great tip. Mind you I am having a little problem that maybe you can deal with Grandpaw. I have the camera set to show the focus point of my pictures when viewed on the rear screen. Very useful I thought but, and this was pointed out to me by a friend, that focus point is not accurate if you slightly recompose your image after focusing. Compose and focus on your subjects eyes, hold the shutter down halfway to lock exposure and recompose your image before firing the shot. The focus was locked with half shutter pressure but on the resulting image the focus point has moved off the real subject focussed on. I hope this makes sense...Is there any way to correct this or is it just an anomaly of the camera. If so then showing the focus point is only any good if you do not move the camera after focussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    Another great tip. Mind you I am having a little problem that maybe you can deal with Grandpaw. I have the camera set to show the focus point of my pictures when viewed on the rear screen. Very useful I thought but, and this was pointed out to me by a friend, that focus point is not accurate if you slightly recompose your image after focusing. Compose and focus on your subjects eyes, hold the shutter down halfway to lock exposure and recompose your image before firing the shot. The focus was locked with half shutter pressure but on the resulting image the focus point has moved off the real subject focussed on. I hope this makes sense...Is there any way to correct this or is it just an anomaly of the camera. If so then showing the focus point is only any good if you do not move the camera after focussing.
    You need to read what you wrote and you will find your own answer to the problem. You said that you pressed the shutter button half way down and locked the focus point and then recomposed the picture. You are right!! All the camera is going to do is showing you the location of where you locked in the focus point at. It did what it was supposed to do and displayed the point of focus that you locked in. The D7000 has 39 focus point for a reason and that is to allow you 39 different individual points to focus the camera on. Try composing the picture first and then moving the focus point to the location you would like it to be. If you do it this way you will get the composed shot you want and the camera will again show you where the focus point was when the shutter button was pressed half way down and locked the focus point. The camera is showing you where the focus point was when the shutter button was pressed half way down and that is what it is designed to do. It is up to you to use the correct method to get the focus point where you need it. I hope this helps. It is just a matter of using the right technique for the shot you are trying to get, Jeff

I thought I had you with that one, but as usual you come up with the answer. Thanks for that. Just tried it and it works fine doing it the way you describe...:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    I thought I had you with that one, but as usual you come up with the answer. Thanks for that. Just tried it and it works fine doing it the way you describe...:thumbsup:
    Glad I could help and thanks for letting me know it is working right for you, Jeff

Tip #37 Resetting your Nikon SB800 flash back to normal operation

Resetting your Nikon SB800 flash back to normal operation.

The SB800 can be used as a commander flash or as a remote. If you are in the middle of making adjustments to your SB800 and get confused or have had it set up and can't seem to get it back to the normal flash mode, then this is a tip you may find useful. I had been playing with the adjustments on my flash and had forgot about the changes. I arrived at a shoot this morning and my flash wouldn't fire due to the fact it was set up for remote use. I always carry a back up for everything but was determined to use my SB800 instead of my SB600 I keep as backup. Since I normally do not change setting much on my flashes I couldn't remember how to reset it to shoot normally. So I will tell you how to reset your SB800 and how I figured out what to do.

This is how to reset your flash quickly.

Hold down the mode and power buttons together for a few seconds and it will reset the flash back to normal operation.

This is how I figured out which buttons to hold down.

On the SB800 the flash has a little built in diffuser screen that can be pulled out and flipped down to defuse the light. If you look real close and grab it just right, when the diffuser is pulled out so you can flip it down on the light, you will see a little card that can also be pulled out with it that gives you some instructions on it which includes how to reset the flash back to normal operation.

This is a good tip to remember about the on board instructions because when you are in a hurry the correct buttons may not come to mind. By the way the SB600 does have the pull out diffuser but does not have the instruction information card, Jeff

I just got a D7000 yesterday and this thread has been SO helpful! I upgraded from a D60 and there's definitely a LOT to learn. There's one feature of the D60 that I can't seem to find on the D7000 and I was wondering if you could help. I like the preview of the picture to show on the display (for a few seconds) after I take it. Do you know a way to set it up to automatically display, or do I have to push the play button each time? Thanks again for putting together all of this info!!!

See page 200 (about) of your user manual section "Image Review". You go into the Menu system part Playback Menu and set Image Review to On.

Personally I find it distracting. I have my eye glued to the viewfinder, I do a shot and suddenly I am aware that something has lit up just below the viewfinder when I'm trying to concentrate on getting a better shot. But I know lots of people who use it to check every shot
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonSTL View Post
    I just got a D7000 yesterday and this thread has been SO helpful! I upgraded from a D60 and there's definitely a LOT to learn. There's one feature of the D60 that I can't seem to find on the D7000 and I was wondering if you could help. I like the preview of the picture to show on the display (for a few seconds) after I take it. Do you know a way to set it up to automatically display, or do I have to push the play button each time? Thanks again for putting together all of this info!!!

Here is how you do it

Go to the Playback menu which is the top menu on the left and press the right arrow on the multi function button
    Next scroll down to Image review and press OK
    Choose on and the press OK

If you want to change the length of time it stays on this is how you do it

Go to the custom settings menu. 3rd one down on left, looks like a pencil
    Go down too "C" Timers/AE lockand press OK
    Next scroll down to "c4" Monitor off delay and press OK
    Highlight Playback and press OK
    scroll down and highlight the amount of time you want and press OK and you are ready to go, Jeff

Note: the play button that turns ON playback when pressed will also turn it off if you press it again

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information