Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

When Swallows Take Flight

Had a chance to see all three swallow species yesterday (Tree, Barn, and Northern Rough-winged).

Lighting was horrendous and my post-processing is shoddy (I seem to be suffering from PP block or some sort as of lately). But I'll take what I can get.

I've been trying to get a shot just when the swallow's lower bill breaks the surface. I came close a couple times but I couldn't get the timing of the focus to exactly match that moment. I had a few chances when they would fly directly at me - but those are a little more difficult to focus

All with the 300mm f/4. No teleconverter this time around - they were too close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When Swallows Take Flight-swallows-1.jpg   When Swallows Take Flight-swallows-2.jpg   When Swallows Take Flight-swallows-3.jpg   When Swallows Take Flight-swallows-4.jpg   When Swallows Take Flight-swallows-5.jpg  

Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: When Swallows Take Flight

Wonderful shots, you did a great job of freezing the action. I'd think that catching them just as they touch the water would be very difficult but knowing your perseverance I'm betting you get it.

Oh man, if I had seen these shots, I wouldn't have posted my lucky shots :blush2:

Hey Loupey, nice stuff! I gotta convince you to try "Canon_Bob" mode.....neck deep in the water with just your camera out! The POV is really cool when you try it ;-)

....One safety tip though.....Don't forget to remove your wallet and cell phone before going wading - LOL

if i did the canon_bob mode, i would be so afraid of dropping my camera in the water T_T but still, nice pics loupey
    Canon Rebel 400D

Stock 18-55mm
    Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Macro Lens
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Canon 50mm f/1.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorhuang20/

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Will try it again with better light. I think I can get that bill touching the water shot with a few more outings.

Canon_Bob - I agree with you that a lower POV would look more pleasing. But in my neck of the woods, I would have gotten the highway and several industrial buildings in the background had I gotten any lower - especially in shots #2, #3, and #4. Thanks for looking.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information