Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Going on a photo safari to South Africa

Some of you may know, but I'm guessing most don't, that I'm going to South Africa this year on a week long photo safari. About a year and a half ago, the wife and I were at a Whitetails Unlimited banquet looking through the silent auction items. The one that caught both our eyes was a week long photo safari to South Africa for 2. We bid on it, and low and behold we won. We were the only people who bid on it. I guess everyone else knew how much it was going to cost to get there.

This winter we finally picked a week, bought our plane tickets and made our reservations with the resort. We are giong in May some time, but I'm not sure of the exact dates. The place were are staying at is Zulu Nyala. I see they updated their website since I was there last. Looks like I have some more surfing to do. We are staying in the Tented Safari Camp.

The package we bought includes our room, and all our meals, as well as two excursions per day. They also offer other things to do as well, for a price. Whale watching is one that I know the wife would like to do, if we are there during the right time of the year.

Anyway, just thought I would share. I'm almost positive that I will have a new 40D before we go on the trip, and would also like the 70-200 f/2.8, but I don't think the budget, or the wife would like that. The 600 f/4 is out of the question, unless someone wants to buy a kidney, or Canon Bob wants to part with his for a while. A portable hard drive for backing up my files sounds like a wise investment too.

Has anyone here gone on a trip like this before? I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm looking forward to it. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what I should be sure to take with me?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Going on a photo safari to South Africa

Insect repellant? Seriously, it sounds like an awesome week. I don't travel abroad so I can't offer any helpful advice. Lucky you. I'm sure we'll be bombarded with a ton of awesome photos, with accompanying stories.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Wow, Mike, definitely an exciting trip! An African safari has to be in the "top 10" for just about every nature photographer of every level.

We are planning a major trip to my homeland in the summer and I've been thinking about equipment as well. I'm pretty sure I'll leave the laptop at home to process images after I return. Instead, I'm thinking about half a dozen 8GB CF cards (just picked up 2 for about $110/ea) so that I can shoot several hundred during the day and delete 95% of the immediate throw-aways at night. It would be almost unthinkable If I come back with that many cards full of "keepers".

Unlike your trip, mine will be mostly urban so our equipment list will be quite different. I would think safaris take people pretty close to animals accustomed to people. So I don't think you'll need the super-telephotos that most people envision. And because you will be limited to what and where the guide/jeep will take you, I think zooms (yeah I said it ) will be necessary. If I were to go, I would probably leave it to:

17-40mm f/4L (for landscapes, sunsets, etc)
    24-70mm f/2.8L (for available light "people" and close quarter animal shots)
    70-200mm f/2.8L (for animal/environmental shots)
    2x TC for extra reach if necessary
    1 strobe
    small tripod OR monopod

Anything more might be too much to carry through customs and layovers.

Just my immediate thoughts. As I said, my trip will have different requirements so my list will be significantly different.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks for the input Mike and Loupey.

Loupey, your equipment list looks pretty good. Here is what I plan on taking for sure as far as lenses go.

12-24 f/4
    24-70 f/2.8
    170-500 f/8 (actally f/6.3 but has to be stopped down) I left this lens at home when I went to Jamaica last year, and I regretted it almost every day.

I have a huge gap between 70-170mm that the 70-200mm would fill nicely.
    I also have a 2x TC, and the tubes I can throw in as well as my 580 flash.

The monopod is a very good idea too.

I hate to lug my laptop around the world with me, but I like having the ability to back up my photos while I'm away so I will have to think about that. Some extra cards would be a good idea too. Especially if I get the 40D. After taking some test shots the other day, I realized just how fast the extra resolution fills up a memory card.

As far as camera bodies go, I plan on taking the DRebel and my Elan 7n with a small stock of slide film. Provia 400 and Velvia 50. Add to that the 40D if I get it and my carry on bag is getting pretty full.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

mike - I, and I am sure everyone else that reads this thread, am full of envy. You are 1 lucky dog! Tell the wife to stay home and I will go with ya :idea:

I see that your list is filling up your "carry on bag" - 1 of the things I did learn when I took that workshop in milwaukee with Don Gale was that as you are limited to 1 carry on bag - a "Coat" is not considered as a carry on. and he said that it is amazing how much equipment you can fit in a photo vest - and by going on a safari it could come in handy on the trip also !

Just passing along some info.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

That's a great idea Ben. Thanks!

I'm not sure I could convince the wife to stay home from this one. I do have the OK to go to places by myself that she has already been to tho. I'm thinking a solo trip to the Tetons in the fall of 09.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Great news Mike! My son went to South Africa two years ago and stayed at a game preserve much of the time he was there. They did morning and evening animal watching. Their guides knew where to anticipate where certain animals would be during those periods of day. Keep in mind that this is not a zoo and you are talking about animals in the wild. The more treasured photo ops will not be right at your feet. I loaned him my 70-300 to take with him and he came back with some nice images, however it was evident that a longer faster lens would have been very handy to have. The best photo ops seemed to be at dusk when that extra f stop or two would have been very handy. If you would like to discuss his African trip with him I would be glad to try and get you in touch with him.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

As the kids would say that trip is going to be off the HOOK. Watch out for poachers, I'm sure your guides will fill you in, I've always wanted to go on a safari but use another tool to shoot with (sorry to everyone that is against hunting, I really enjoy it.) Have fun and post tons of those pics.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

The "1 carry-on" rule is the biggest pain IMO. I assume your wife will have her own carry-on so there isn't too much you can take with you. While a tripod/monopod will be fine in checked luggage, I doubt that you will want to transport your laptop and camera gear that way - I know I wouldn't trust my hardearned photo opp to baggage handlers to miss ship to Australia.

I know the abbreviated equipment list I mentioned would barely fit in my travel bag (with one dSLR) which, in turn, barely meets the airline carry-on size restriction.

Perhaps, instead of your 170-500mm, if you can borrow a 100-400mm and forget the 2xTC? I think paring down the equipment to the bare essentials will make traveling such long distances so much more convenient. I can just imagine how many transfers you will be making to get there - buses, trains, taxies, jeep, (camels ) - and having your most essentials all in a medium bag at your side at all times would be the ticket IMO.

Your thoughts?

See my website HERE.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Loupey, the 100-400mm is an interesting idea. I do have a friend who has that lens, but not sure she would be willing to part with it. I'm sure that lens is a lot sharper than mine, but I have a hard time giving up the extra length. The extra speed, and IS would be nice tho. I will have to give it some thought.

Now would be a good time to try to join CPS. Then I could borrow a lens from them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

have you thought about renting a lense from someplace... for a week only it shouldn't be to expensive.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Renting is a possiblility. Has anyone ever rented from www.thelensdepot.com?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I was reading the faqs for the lens depot and it said that the equipment is to not leave the US
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    I was reading the faqs for the lens depot and it said that the equipment is to not leave the US
    Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't had a chance to look over the site too closely yet, but I know someone on this site recomended them a while back.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

www.lensrental.com sounds like it should work. Their site says you need special permission to take their gear out of the country. I emailed them, and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I also found a thread on this site that recommended them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Sounds too complicated to me.

Why not offer your friend 50% of the cost of a rental to use her lens. She knows you, you know her lens... a win-win proposition for both sides, yes?

See my website HERE.

I did send her an email tonight asking about the 100-400, but I don't know of anyone around here that has the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. I don't think I will be able to purchase that before I go, so I figure if I'm going to rent one, it would be just as easy to get them both from the same place if she says no.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

As long as a piece of equipment is not delivered to a hotel or resort, It is alright to take on vacation outside the US. :-)

Thanks for looking

Oscar
    www.thelensdepot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    ... it would be just as easy to get them both from the same place if she says no.
    Oh, I didn't know you were considering taking both. That's a lot of glass to take. The 70-200mm in particular is very heavy. But if it were one or the other and taking your friend out of the equation, I would just rent the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and take along your 2x TC.

The reasons I originally bought the 70-200mm over the 100-400mm was the following:

1) the addition of the 2x makes it a capable 140-400mm f/5.6 IS. Does the resulting IQ rival those of the 100-400mm? Don't know, haven't used the 100-400mm long enough to test.

But more importantly,

2) in low light, the f/2.8 is such a big difference (hey, I didn't say "night and day" ) over the f/5.6. In tough conditions, having to crop an f/2.8 image instead of being locked in at f/5.6 of the 100-400mm may make all the difference.

So much for my 2 cents worth. I think I owe you $0.08.

See my website HERE.

Yeah, it is a lot of glass to take. I'm thinking that this is going to be one of those once in a lifetime trips, so I want to make sure I have all my bases covered. I don't want to get there, and realize that I want a particular lens, and don't have it. That's one of the reasons I started this thread, so the folks here could help me work through all this stuff.

I did consider just going with the 70-200 and my 2x TC, but I really don't like my TC. It's a cheap Quantaray I got a few years ago, and just isn't that good. I guess I could rent the Canon TC's too. I will have to mull the lens choice over for a while. I really appreciate all the input.

Any suggestions on a monopod?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by opies
    As long as a piece of equipment is not delivered to a hotel or resort, It is alright to take on vacation outside the US. :-)

Thanks for looking

Oscar
    www.thelensdepot.com

Thanks for clearing that up Oscar!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Any suggestions on a monopod?
    That reminds me - I bought an Induro MXC45 carbon fiber mono before the holidays - it's still in the box and in the family room.

But I'm still using the same old reliable Bogen 3016 that I've had for 15+ years. It's super inexpensive and reliable (legs still lock tight and solid). I mount the lens directly or with the equally inexpensive 3229 head if I want to quickly detach the rig - i.e. go running off into the bush.

If anyone is wondering why I bought the Induro, a couple reasons: 1) it extends taller (about 74") which is nice when I'm standing on rocks or on uneven ground/ledge, 2) it collapses smaller (5 sections instead of 3), 3) higher capacity, and 4) black (i.e. less conspicious).

See my website HERE.

Hi Mike - I know this was a few years ago - but I am getting ready to travel on safari with my 40d and I am interested to know your feedback on lenses that you took, gear, etc and how it all worked out. Many thanks if you can remember!

Kelly

Kelly if your are coming on a photo safari and using the services of a game lodge for bush driving you will have different criteria to consider from doing self drive - most notable that you are likely to not be the only occupant in the vehicle in the former case and hence little room for tri/unipod etc and minimal time for set up. Most guests on the game drive are patient and tolerant and the guides very helpful but - you cant be certain, and waving a big lens around can give some folk irritation. If you are hiring a vehicle and doing self drive then I would recommend you take the longest and fastest lens you have - sacrifice luggage weight and other carry on if you must because getting the best shots you can on safari is what makes it a great experience.
    If weight and size are really a problem consider 200mm with 2x converter - as the minimum effective reach in my view is 400mm.
    I use a Nikon D700 and 200-400mm f4 with 1.4x converter at 3200 - 6400 ISO (most of the good stuff is in the gloaming - dawn and evening hours) and a Sony a900 with 70-300 g and flash for the night shots.
    I leave soon on a 5500km round trip to Zambia and doing it self drive mainly because the appropriate gear precludes flying.
    If I can assist with any further information feel free to pm.

You can check the cary-on requirements with the airline you have booked. Most seem to allow one carry-on bag + a briefcase, purse or laptop bag that will fit under the seat. For international flights, the requirements may be different.

I bought a small suitcase that is within the size limits for carry-on. Two pieces of egg crate foam plus one 2" thick 'pick and pluck' foam makes it into a great travel camera case. I can fit two Sony A700 bodies with lenses attached (35-70 and something like a 11-18), the Sigma 150-500 and a 70-210, all foam cushioned. The outer pockets hold batteries, two chargers, cards, blower, ETC.

My 'briefcase' is packed with a netbook minature computer, 1 TB USB drive, clamp on ball head and other small accessories. The netbook is loaded with Lightroom, Irfanview and my camera manuals and books for quick reference.

I figure as long as I get there with my camera equipment, I can always buy clothing if my checked luggage goes astray.

I hope you have lots of fun!

Phil
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information