Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Going on a photo safari to South Africa

Thanks Phil! What a great idea about the egg crate carry on. I am definitely an amateur and I am still trying to get my head around the 2x adaptor you are talking about. I am very fortunate that we are going on a mostly walking safari (guided of course!) so I won't have to worry about anyone getting fussy I don't think - my biggest worry now is that I've never handled a lense of this size and I don't want to bite off more than we can chew BUT I did go on a vanilla safari back in 2007 and that was the advice that I came out of that trip with - exactly what you said about who cares about the clothes it's all about the lense. I don't want to be a cling on but I will PM you about the 2x adaptor thing. Many thanks for such a quick response! Have a fantastic trip to Zambia - you are a brave one to be self driving! We will be in Zimbabwe.

Any other tips are most welcome!

Kelly

That was DennisT on the 2x. Just make sure you check with the airline before you go to all the trouble to make your 'travel case'.

Check this thread about foam: What do you carry your lenses in

If you will be walking and want your backpack, take all the dividers out, flatten it and put in your checked luggage.

I mentioned the clamp on (or window mount) ball head. It can be fastened to a stick cut in the bush for an instant monopod.

Have fun, wish I could go too

Phil
    Last edited by PWhite214; 06-24-2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added foam info
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Hi Kelly,

It's been a long time since I viewed this thread! I have been pretty absent from the forums for a while now so forgive me for not replying soon. After I got back from Africa, I did a pretty long write up about all of the gear I took with me. You can find it in this post, about half way down: Back from Africa!!

Since it looks like you are going to be doing a lot of walking, I'm sure you're going to want to keep things as light and simple as possible. Like others have said, a 2x teleconverter, or even a 1.4x is a good way to add some versatility to your kit without adding a much weight or taking up a lot of room. Just be sure that the teleconverter will work with your lenses. Are you planning on taking a tripod or monopod? If so, I would suggest a carbon fiber model to save some more weight.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet or not, but don't feel you need to run out and buy a bunch of gear for your trip. If you need something, consider renting if you can.

Since you are planning on doing a lot of walking, I really think the key to you're enjoying the trip is to keep things as simple and as light as possible. If you have to carry a heavy pack, you're aren't going to enjoy your time as much.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information