Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Blue Heron at 600mm handheld

I have been shooting with my Nikon D7000 and Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 with a Nikon 2x 20E III teleconverter a lot lately and shoot just about everything handheld. I am really liking this combination and it seems to work well with my steady hands. Yes, this one was shot handheld also.

Name:  _DSC4228_2.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  215.0 KB
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Blue Heron at 600mm handheld

But.... but..... How does that come out to 600?

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    But.... but..... How does that come out to 600?
    200mm lens with 1.5 crop factor = 300mm then when you put on a 2x teleconverter you get 300mm times two and that comes out to 600mm. I guess I should have said 35mm equivalent.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

looks nice and clear . Do you lose autofocus with this combo??
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Quote Originally Posted by f86sabjf View Post
    looks nice and clear . Do you lose autofocus with this combo??
    All functions work as they normally do. If I lost auto focus I would not be able to use it, 100% of all my shots are done with auto focus and probably just about all are done on single focus point. I can't see well enough to manual focus. I shoot a lot with this combination at or near the 600mm setting and shoot handheld. My steady hands let me use this combo without a tripod. I have shot down to as long as 1/8 second on a still subject with this combo and as long as one full second handheld with my Sigma 17-50 wide angle. I don't think that there are many people besides myself that can pull that off though.

Very nice image and your hand held ability always amazes me (as one who can barely do the '1/focal length' hand held).

Cropping, however, does not turn a 400mm into a 600mm.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

As to perspective, 1.5 crop factor makes the 400mm equivalent to a 600mm on a 35mm full frame. I see what you're saying there, then.

I think OldClicker is pointing out that it's still 400mm with regard to deptch of field. The only equivalence in saying 400mm cropped equals 600mm full frame is in regard to perspective.

But yeah, my question was how 400*2=600, I didn't think of the 35mm equivalence.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    All functions work as they normally do. If I lost auto focus I would not be able to use it, 100% of all my shots are done with auto focus and probably just about all are done on single focus point. I can't see well enough to manual focus. I shoot a lot with this combination at or near the 600mm setting and shoot handheld. My steady hands let me use this combo without a tripod. I have shot down to as long as 1/8 second on a still subject with this combo and as long as one full second handheld with my Sigma 17-50 wide angle. I don't think that there are many people besides myself that can pull that off though.
    Thanks
    I'm trying to figure out how to afford more reach . Not likely that one of those $5,000 lenses are coming home

Blue Heron at 600mm handheld-_dsc3877.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by f86sabjf View Post
    Thanks
    I'm trying to figure out how to afford more reach . Not likely that one of those $5,000 lenses are coming home
    I had the same problem deciding how to get further reach at an affordable price. I already owned the Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 which is a pro lens. What I was considering was the Sigma 150-500 at over a thousand dollars or I could get the 2x and have a F5.6 all the way through lens and it be Nikon for less than half the price. By getting the teleconverter it gave me the ability to use the lens by itself and have the ability of F2.8, a very sharp lens, and I also had the option of adding the 2x teleconverter for further reach when I needed it. I did a lot of research and the Nikon 2x 20E III teleconverter was rated very high. My buddy had the Nikon 1.7 TC which is supposed to be one of the best and immediately sold it after using my 2x TC. You need to make sure it is the same 2x TC and NOT the older version which was not that good. The picture below was taken with the 70-200 lens and 2x 20 E III teleconverter. This shot WAS taken using a tripod at a distance of about 500 to 600FT.

What a gift Jeff. Wish my hands were that steady. I'm very envious.
    Great photo. Have to check that out that teleconverter.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    What a gift Jeff. Wish my hands were that steady. I'm very envious.
    Great photo. Have to check that out that teleconverter.
    Just to give you a heads up on this TC, it will not work with the Nikon 70-300VR lens. This is a very good TC if you get the same model but you do need to make sure it will work with the lens you have BEFORE you get too excited about getting one.

Thanks Jeff. I'll check out the other TC models.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Oh well, looks like they all will only work with a limited series of F2.8 expensive lenses, none of which I will buying anytime soon. :-)
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Thread Information