My new website hopefully up live today

It has only just been started, basically trying to get the layout right, which is always a major issue with website. I have changed it from the frames layout I had and am using a CSS style layout which once you get used to the way it operates, is a bit easier to actually look after.

I have also created a template for the pages and having that as the main change page for design not content is a bonus as well.

Some parts of the pages aren't working properly yet, such as the search feature as I'm not sure I want that as part of the site feature as yet.

Would love some feedback as well about it, load times etc. I have tried to keep is simple and easy to navigate.

Thanks for reading and having a look I hope.

The link is http://www.memoriesinphotos.com

Liz

Website

Hi Peter,
    I took a quick look at your website (I'm back to catching up at work after a few days off )

The layout looks very good to me. It is simple which makes it easy to use and not confusing. It loads fast for me.

One comment on the Home Page.
    Print size: Some of the fine print is a little too fine for my eyes and I can't read most of the lists. This includes links and like size formats.

Spelling: just perusing I found a few misspelled words, so you might want to do a spell check - some are probably typos. The words I found include:
    Architectural
    Portraiture (spelled portriture)
    Internet
    answer (spelled anser)

Basically you did a great job - I'm impressed. These are just minor adjustments.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    It has only just been started, basically trying to get the layout right, which is always a major issue with website. I have changed it from the frames layout I had and am using a CSS style layout which once you get used to the way it operates, is a bit easier to actually look after.

I have also created a template for the pages and having that as the main change page for design not content is a bonus as well.

Some parts of the pages aren't working properly yet, such as the search feature as I'm not sure I want that as part of the site feature as yet.

Would love some feedback as well about it, load times etc. I have tried to keep is simple and easy to navigate.

Thanks Liz, make it important to get this type of feedback. I have fixed some of them already, Lara sent me PM about one typo, will fix the other one. I will also change the font size a little as well.

Liz

Lightbulb Peter....suggestion about posting

Peter -
    Why don't you cross post this thread to VF and/or Helpfiles for more feedback. Sometimes people don't frequent this specific site as much (I know I don't spend much time here). The reason is - as a photographer that doesn't have a website, I have no reason to pop over here

Liz

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Looks real good so far, Peter...

Peter,

Looks like you've done a nice job with the new site...

Like Liz, I found a few minor "thingies" you should be aware of. Really, just the kind of stuff that every site has when it goes live.

I viewed your site in both IE and Netscape, and on both pages your "partner images" on the right side of the page aren't loading. IE has a somewhat ugly "missing image" icon. Also, your page title (very top of browser) is still listed as "memories template design page". Now that you're live, you probably should have somethng more appropriate.

You have two live links TO your home page ON your home page (top and left navigation bars). This is a no no. Normally you have no links on a page back to the same page.

In IE, the words ANY INCONVENIENCE wrap back UNDER the photo of the ship. In Nescape, they stay under the rest of the paragraph, which I'm sure is the way you want it. This must be a code thing with IE. I'd have to look at the source code to tell you how to adjust it.

On the lighter side, you have a link to my web site listed TWICE, which is very flattering but really not neccessary...

Other than that, it's looking real good so far. I haven't had the chance to check the other pages and links yet, but I'll get to that later today.

BTW, I don't like the banner ad with the flashing colors at all. Extremely annoying, but that's a personal decision I suppose, eh?

"Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks Steve,

What size screen are you looking at the website with, I run 1024 x 768 which I thought was similar to yours. I just looked at the home page and it works OK with mine.

I don't have Netscape, haven't for years never liked it, only run in IE, but haven't put the website through the checkers yet.

The flashing ad is an ad servered up by bravenet and I don't have a control over that.

The ad place holders are there for viewing at present during development as I am still comming to terms with the CSS style side of things. It is interesting when you change one thing, the effect it has on half the site.

With your site being listed twice that was an accident, again with the CSS style I have found that once a link is visited and you hover over the link again it doesn't highlight again but the second link will be gone shortly.

I do have the problem with the paragraph displaying under the picture of the Endeavour, but that area is going to be for featured stories, so if there is an image the info will text wrap around an image there.

Which navigation link do you like the top or side I am in two minds about both. The links are contained in the Template and aren't editable on the other pages once the template is applied to a new page, so making small changes to the template updates all pages linked to the template, maybe I need to make the word home and editable region. When setting up the template I used Dreamweaver defaults and am editing them, they had things like breadcrumbs (which I don't understand why they call them that), global, and many others, like features, story, links, can't remember the rest. I'm still trying to workout the search facility of the site as well, as that just puts the form elements in there nothing about the actual link, have to read up on that.

I know you design in GoLive but I have found Dreamweaver a bit better for me to use, although it can be complicated, but then website building isn't easy, if it was there would be so many people doing it and the programs would be easy to use I'm sure.

You know not one person has comment on the actual website name, what impression they have, I have found that interesting.

Thanks for the feedback.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Peter, some clarification...

Peter,

Yes, my screen resolution is 1024x768, and as I said, the site does look good at that size...

I understand about the limitations of working with the site template. If you can't disable the home link on the home page, that's all there is to it. Certainly not a capital offense.

I also figured the "partner image" icons were place holders, but just wanted to make sure you were aware of them. Gotcha on the flashing ad, too. Not much you can do...

As for the nav links, both formats have their merits. If you intend to keep all the other links on the left side like that, you may as well keep the nav links, too and clean up the top of the page (IOW, just a banner).

All things considered, I'm sure Dreamweaver and GoLive are much more similar than they are different. BTW, I have DW, too, as a backup. I just can't see investing the resources to fully learn both programs.

The domain name sounds fine. Not exactly my cup of tea, because I don't make too many connections between memories and my photography, but that of course has nothing to do with you.

Hey, on a slightly more personal note, how are your wife and girls? I couldn't help but notice the family pic on the site...

Thanks Steve,

What size screen are you looking at the website with, I run 1024 x 768 which I thought was similar to yours. I just looked at the home page and it works OK with mine.

I don't have Netscape, haven't for years never liked it, only run in IE, but haven't put the website through the checkers yet.

The flashing ad is an ad servered up by bravenet and I don't have a control over that.

The ad place holders are there for viewing at present during development as I am still comming to terms with the CSS style side of things. It is interesting when you change one thing, the effect it has on half the site.

With your site being listed twice that was an accident, again with the CSS style I have found that once a link is visited and you hover over the link again it doesn't highlight again but the second link will be gone shortly.

I do have the problem with the paragraph displaying under the picture of the Endeavour, but that area is going to be for featured stories, so if there is an image the info will text wrap around an image there.

Which navigation link do you like the top or side I am in two minds about both. The links are contained in the Template and aren't editable on the other pages once the template is applied to a new page, so making small changes to the template updates all pages linked to the template, maybe I need to make the word home and editable region. When setting up the template I used Dreamweaver defaults and am editing them, they had things like breadcrumbs (which I don't understand why they call them that), global, and many others, like features, story, links, can't remember the rest. I'm still trying to workout the search facility of the site as well, as that just puts the form elements in there nothing about the actual link, have to read up on that.

I know you design in GoLive but I have found Dreamweaver a bit better for me to use, although it can be complicated, but then website building isn't easy, if it was there would be so many people doing it and the programs would be easy to use I'm sure.

You know not one person has comment on the actual website name, what impression they have, I have found that interesting.

Thanks for the feedback.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The wife and kids are fine thanks, wife working hard and the kids back at school after 2 weeks holidays. I will be working on the website on and off over the next few days and build up content as it goes along. I made a link on the heading Resources that brings up a list that I hived off of the posting from the manager in India that he put up, and will add to that as I find sites and good resources.

Thanks again for the feedback it does help, I'm not sure whether I like CSS style sheets or not yet, as it is hard to workout all the elements but I am getting there. I fixed up the page heading like you mentioned, didn't realize that it referenced the template place holder I had put there as a reference.

Believe it or not the ads haven't generated any income to me at all, but then, most ads are all over the internet as well.

It was hard picking a domain name that was a little catchy and associating photos with names is not that easy, also most names are gone that I came up with, apart from the list I posted originally.

Hope you are well and things aren't as hectic as they were, certainly very slow here. I'm going to put info on the indexpage about web hosting, design and domain registrations that I can do as well, you never know might generate some interest from people.

I'm still playing around with the forum and galleries for what layout I think might work best, haven't posted anymore images as yet, so I don't waste time unnecessarily. What I would like is a logo of some sort relating to memories in photos to place on each page, thought out something like MIP, but haven't done a search on that as yet to see if it is up somewhere else, it more than likely is.

Take care.

Thread Information