Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Why am I scared of my flash?

It seems like I never remember about my flash. I don't think to use it as fill light and I don't think to use it in low light situations. I think it has to do with the fact that i got use to not using a flash at all with my film camera. which was the only thing I use for the last couple of years. I am just use to not using one. I rarely use it but I want to start. Right now, I am just using the one on my camera (Nikon D70)

Any tips, tricks or suggestions? Any good exercises that can be done to help on getting to know my flash? Should I just be taking my camera out at night? Taking pictures at night with the flash is so distracting to everyone around me and that is why I am asking for some advice. I don't want to sit in one spot out in public shooting with the flash... over and over. lol
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Why am I scared of my flash?

Night isn't the only time to use flash. I probably use flash more when it isn't dark. Prefer long exposures at night, but like you, I don't use mine enough and I have a good external flash.
    They are great for fill light, and I've done and seen some very nice flower pics using flash during day. If the background has the right distance it gives you a nice dark background and the flower will really stand out.
    I'd suggest just going out with the purpose in mind of finding stuff to use it on and seeing what you get. You'll soon see what works and what doesn't and figure out how to adjust for the ones that don't or when to use and when not to.
    When you get some, put them up for critique and mention that you are trying to learn to use the flash and you'll get good advice.
    Nikon has very good flash performance and I sprang for the sb300 some time ago but also fail to think about using it more often.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

p.s. It works well for fill light when the background is bright, especially for faces.
    Keep Shooting!

One thing to remember is to make sure and remove any sunshade from your lens when using the flash on your camera or it will create a shadow at the bottom of your picture, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    It seems like I never remember about my flash. I don't think to use it as fill light and I don't think to use it in low light situations. I think it has to do with the fact that i got use to not using a flash at all with my film camera. which was the only thing I use for the last couple of years. I am just use to not using one. I rarely use it but I want to start. Right now, I am just using the one on my camera (Nikon D70)

Any tips, tricks or suggestions? Any good exercises that can be done to help on getting to know my flash? Should I just be taking my camera out at night? Taking pictures at night with the flash is so distracting to everyone around me and that is why I am asking for some advice. I don't want to sit in one spot out in public shooting with the flash... over and over. lol
    First take it out for a nice candle light dinner at a romantic location. Wine it, dine it, but do not try and get it drunk and take advantage of it. Listen to what it has to say, be sensitive, discuss the issues openly and honestly. Don't expect the flash to put out on the first date, you have to develop a relationship built on trust, and mutual understanding. Realize that your flash may be saving itself for Ansel Adams. :biggrin5:

Or start here: http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/flash.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS.../NIKONCLSA.HTM

There are several good books on the market as well on Nikon flash use.

Once you are comfortable with it as a tool you will quickly pick up that tool whenever it is called for. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    First take it out for a nice candle light dinner at a romantic location. Wine it, dine it, but do not try and get it drunk and take advantage of it. Listen to what it has to say, be sensitive, discuss the issues openly and honestly. Don't expect the flash to put out on the first date, you have to develop a relationship built on trust, and mutual understanding. Realize that your flash may be saving itself for Ansel Adams. :biggrin5:

Once you are comfortable with it as a tool you will quickly pick up that tool whenever it is called for. Good luck.
    ass or grass no one gets dinner from me for free!
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

From experimenting with my camera today I figured I can just set it on Aperture priority and use the f/ to control my exposure. it's totally cheating but I am going to run with it for now.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

On-camera flash is about the worst light source possible. I only use it:

- As a Master to control other flashes
    - When I don't have my SB800 cobra with me
    - In dark places when there is really not enough light to do without
    - When I want to look like am amateur

That's actually quite a lot of uses, but a powerful cobra flash is a much better solution. You can use these things to control the light on the subject. Fill-in (TTL-BBL) works wonderfully well (best on the D300 but the D70 wasn't bad)

Your idea of going out at night and flashing at people seems strange (even antisocial). At night I usually use an available-light lens (35mm f1.8) and whack the ISO up all the way. The lighting at night is interesting and adds atmosphere. I wouldn't ruin it by using a flash.

If you want some practice with the flash then just do like everybody does and photograph family and friends in normal light, see how the flash evens out contrast. It's useful practice for when you get trapped into doing a wedding or something.

I don't understand what you want to achieve with Aperture priority. There are a couple of points concerning the D70:

- the flash sync speed goes up to 1/500s which is very fast and pretty much unique.
    - the built-in flash on any DSLR is only effective up to about 10 feet
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais

I don't understand what you want to achieve with Aperture priority. There are a couple of points concerning the D70:

- the flash sync speed goes up to 1/500s which is very fast and pretty much unique.
    - the built-in flash on any DSLR is only effective up to about 10 feet
    When I go out with my camera is because I am chasing something or aiming to get some good pictures. I rarely take it out just to see what I get so when I do I don't think of my flash because I am not comfortable with it. I don't want to ruin my picture trying to use my flash. When I am at home and want to figure something out I will read about different techniques and mess with my camera. I was looking at some of my pictures and realized I should be using my flash more as fill light. I was just asking for tips on recognizing these opportunities and pointers on using the flash on my camera. I can't afford to just go out and buy one.

The link above helped with tips on the settings I should consider when using the flash.

being a beginner- looking like an amateur isn't that big of deal to me. I am not just going to go out and flash at people. :lol: I don't want to be doing that and that is why I was looking for a link like the one posted above.

I appreciate all the response.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

I too was afraid of using flash and having it mess up the beautiful natural light. But on the advice of a studio shooter friend I got an off camera flash (Olympus FL-50-R) To go with my E3 and forced myself to use it for 30% of my day whether I thought I needed to use it or not. Set it to TTL auto and let the metering run it for me. I am definitely not a pro with a flash but the results were subtle and remarkable.

The first shot below was what I saw and I thought wow my wife looks great in this light. I need to capture the moment. So I did.

Then I thought just for kicks I should turn the flash on. I have done the same treatment to both shots with the exception of the cropping but the end result made my wife happy and she definitely preferred the look with the sunlight working as a back light and the flash filling in the foreground. Completely removing the hat shadows and filling her face out. It even sparkled of the frames of her sunglasses for added interest.

I am a true believer now. If I have to use the on camera flash because I run out of battery life or because I forgot it in the car. So be it. But I will shoot with a lot more flash after this experiment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why am I scared of my flash?-light-test-1.jpg   Why am I scared of my flash?-light-test-2.jpg  
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Great example, Jaedon.
    Keep Shooting!

thanks I appreciate that, Jaedon
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

Bonce flash with a powerful SB800?? (loaned by daughter) does wonders taking photos indoors of kids (grand daughter). It lights up the background.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information