Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Who uses rangefinder cam?

Who among you has used or continues to use a rangefinder camera? Why do you like or why did you dislike using it? Any tips on an inexpensive but reputable rangefinder?

Greetings
    Duchan

Canonet GIII QL17. On ebay, you'll find a nice one for about $50 or less. I actually paid about $60 for mine, but it is in almost mint condition and had the foam light seals replaced.

Pros: Cost very little, sharp 40 f1.7 lens. Film loads quickly ("QL" in number above). Self timer and shutter-priority auto mode.

Cons: Only meters up to ISO800 (I use 3200 fairly often and usually rate at 1600). There is no exposure compensation so I'd have to remember to think about what I'm doing and not use the auto mode - haven't tried it yet. Light seals will probably have to be replaced which isn't a big deal. Probably not repairable, but at this price just buy a new one - so check it out (especially the self timer, if you plan on using it).

From here, the price just goes up. A new Leica M7 with lens would be a few thousand, but there are other options too. People usually use them because they don't draw attention and are quiet. Since there's no mirror to flip up and down, you may be able to handhold at a slower shutter speed (1/15 on a 40mm lens, where on an SLR you might be at 1/30-1/60). A whole different experience, check out this site:

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Leica-compatible

Quote Originally Posted by DuchanC
    Who among you has used or continues to use a rangefinder camera? Why do you like or why did you dislike using it? Any tips on an inexpensive but reputable rangefinder?

Greetings
    Duchan
    I use two Leica-M compatible cameras (Konoica Hexar RF for colour & Leica M4P for black-and-white) at certain times of the year :

- Spring and Autumn when there are lots of events to go and see in Paris and the area
    - Christmas when I go and see the family in England

With the Leica system I can pack three available-light lenses and a body into a small shoulderbag that I can carry around all day, pretending to be a normal human being rather than a photo buff. When the opportunity to do photos presents itself I'm still ready in an instant.

All of this gear is second-hand and it didn't cost me a fortune to acquire.

Charles

What AV said. The Canonet. I use mine without the meter as basically a manual RF camera. For around $50 they can't be beat. The lens is I think either 40 or 45mm which is slightly wider than the normal 50 which is good.

Another inexpensive choice might be one of the Russian RF cameras. I have a Fed-3 and they usually come with a nice 50/2.8 lens which for the set can be had also for around $50 maybe a little more. One advantage is they accept interchangeable LTM (Leica Screw Mount 39mm) lenses which are readily available in focal lengths from 12mm through 135mm. So you could go wider or longer depending on choice. One disadvantage of the Russian cameras is their quality control. But they are cheap and most sellers on ebay will take them back. Another advantage if you move up to say a Leica M series or Bessa later you can still use the lenses.

One disadvantage of both the Canonet and Fed are the viewfinders. They are a little dim and small with the Canonet being slightly better. >p> If you want to step up there are the Leica M models with range from an M2 in user condition used for around $600 to a new M7 which is almost $2000. Another option is the Bessa R2, made by Voigtlander/Cosina which has an on board light meter and runs for around $600 new. I would suggest if you have never used a rangefinder use one of the less expensive options then move up later. (Thank god for spell check)

Bought Zorki K

Well, I logged in at (German) ebay and searched for a Zorki 4, a Soviet-era model, 3.5/50. Supposedly in very good condition and fully functional. With case. There were several Kievs and several German Werras available at an affordable price, but the review I read about the various Zorkis was fine, so I opted for that. Wish I could have gotten one with a 35mm lens, but me being new to rangefinder category will not complain. So, on to posting this message and then another one.

Greetings
    Duchan

Thread Information