Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Where do I start?

The other day I puchased a Sony Cyber-shot camera. After reading the instructions I still don't know how to use it. I would like to take some shots, down load them to the computer and then post them on the web.

Any help will be nice.
    How do I do that?

Re: Where do I start?

Did it come with some software and a PC cable? You can also buy a card reader and plug the memory card into the computer. Copy paste onto your hard drive.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

It would help us to help you by telling us the model camera you picked, this way we know the features, abilities and limitations of the camera you are shooting with.

As far as downloading them onto a computer and posting them on the web/email, that matter is pretty universal. Greg mentioned how to do that. I want to elaborate on downsizing the resolution for posting on web and email. The images straight out of camera are way too big for normal web and email viewing. There are lots of programs out there, including the one that came with your camera (if you got it new), there is even a windows "power tool" called image resizer that can do it, that program is free - find it on google. Basically, the resolution of your images straight outta camera will be something like 4828x2848. For normal web and email viewing, 640-800 pixels at widest is more than sufficient (it is the max resolution that can be posted to this website). so, instead of posting and uploading an unneccesarily large, probably 5-10 megabyte image, you only need to upload a ~ 0.24 megabyte image (these numbers vary a lot depending on the detail of the image).

As far as handling the camera, if you learn and understand the metering functions, chiefly: ISO, Aperture, and Shutter - that is what I would point to as a 'starting point' to learn any camera. And learn how they are tooled within your camera, you will begin to know how to handle the camera and control your results. This is, unfortunately, a diminishing significance in photo culture and the results are poor image quality is rampant. But, I don't know how you want to interface with your camera, maybe you just aren't interested in learning the math and nuts and bolts of your camera and you just want to point and shoot. The question you asked however is vague and as a result could have a huge number of potential answers depending on your desire and interest and current skills. Stick around and as you begin to learn your camera, ask the forum more specific questions and we can have more straightforward and simpler answers.

I digress, I hope that helps.

^^^ That's some dang-fine advice for many of us. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Anbesol,

I couldn't figure out from the camera what model till I had the brain storm to look on the front of the booklet. It is a DSC-H55. It has a 10X optical zoom and a 14.1 mega pixels.

What you posted was so good to me I copied it to a "word" document so I can go over it a break time at work till I get it. You last sentence tells me just how much I have to learn.
    How do I do that?

no problem guys! Teachable - this place has been a tremendously valuable resource for information, stick around and I am sure this place will help you become a much more capable photographer.

Photography - Digital or Film is about composition and Exposure: composition is what is in the view finder, electronic or optical and how you use focus (depth of field). Exposure is the amount of light which falls on the film or digital sensor. The amount of light needed for the correct exposure is determined by the sensitivity of the film or sensor which is called ISO, the higher the number the more sensitivity you have but the more grain (with film) or noise (with digital) you will have. The more expensive the camera and the newer the camera is the noise curve has been pushed out to the higher ISO numbers. You get less noise with larger sensors.

To see how it all relates check out this WEB Site:http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php
    This is not the site I wanted to post but it's close, I hope it helps
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information