Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What Spec should I be looking at - Immediate Pic Taken with Flash?

My wife wants a simple camera for Christmas that takes a picture as soon as you press the shutter release button when using a flash.

Is there a spec I should be looking at when searching cameras that would let me know a camera is quick when taking such a picture?

I have a Sony DSC-H2 which seems to have about a second delay between shutter press and picture took...my wife wants a camera that immediately takes the picture.

Thanks for any help.

tennisbumbishop

Re: What Spec should I be looking at - Immediate Pic Taken with Flash?

Flash recharge rate.

However, that will only tell you how quickly the built in stock flash does. If you have a speedlite attached, the recharge rate can be much quicker, and will be variable depending on the power output of the flash, 1/32 will recharge much quicker than 1/2. Though, in any event, its much quicker than the H2.

Also, considering you have as fast of a lens as the 50mm f/1.8, plus the much higher ISO afforded by a digital slr (800-1600 with good grain), you may find yourself needing a flash much less frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Flash recharge rate.

However, that will only tell you how quickly the built in stock flash does. If you have a speedlite attached, the recharge rate can be much quicker, and will be variable depending on the power output of the flash, 1/32 will recharge much quicker than 1/2. Though, in any event, its much quicker than the H2.

Also, considering you have as fast of a lens as the 50mm f/1.8, plus the much higher ISO afforded by a digital slr (800-1600 with good grain), you may find yourself needing a flash much less frequently.
    She doesn't want anything fancy enough where the 50mm Canon lens I have will work. She wants a simple $100 point and shoot that takes quick pics with a flash.

I'm the one who wants the Canon DSLR ;)

Thanks for the input.

tennisbumbishop

oh, then you are outta luck, can't really do any better/faster than H2 at $100..

Yeah, Anbesol is right. You call that shutter lag. If you want faster than that you are going to have to get a DSLR. You might get a used m4/3rd camera but there is still a slight shutter lag to those. Not much of one but noticeable. But they are more than $100.00
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information