Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

For the Candians (Spec. Ontario)

Here are some excellent places that I have never had any problem with.

Downtown Camera, located on Queen Street about a block west of Church Street. They have a lot of harder to find items in stock, and often are several hundred dollars cheaper on the more expensive gear than Henry's and Vistek.

Henry's - All across Ontario (Plus some in Manitoba and Nova Scotia). I cannot say anything bad about Henry's, very friendly personal service, especally if you frequent a store often, they'll begin to call you by your own name. Perfect for film processing (they do a great job on Slide and B/W stuff). In fact all but two items in my arsenal were all purchased through Henry's. Henry's has an amazing selection of used equipment and very easy to deal with when trading in old gear.

Vistek - Very few stores, mostly Ontario and one in Manitoba. High End stuff here, amazing selection of lighting equipment. Also more selection in the way of photographic display items (portfolios, frames, ect). A little more expensive than Henry's, but a wider range of the higher end products. Defiantly aimed at the Pros.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: For the Candians (Spec. Ontario)

Axle, you should also be aware that Vistek has two stores in Calgary and one in Edmonton. Lot's of good stuff, a little expensive at times, but my biggest complaint is that I can never get anyone to wait on me unless I actively approach them. (Not so with another store I deal with - see following) I also found that some of their staff are not as knowledgeable as they could be (high turn-over??). You are right though, high-end stuff with an amazing selection of studio equipment.

The one store I have not had any problems with in Calgary is The Camera Store. As soon as I enter the store, there is always someone willing and able to deal with me and my request in a very professional and knowledgeable way (Never pushy). I would heartily recommend it to anyone one in Calgary and surroundings parts of Alberta.

WesternGuy

P.S. Axle, I didn't mean to re-orient your thread, but just though it would be appropriate to throw in my 0.02 CDN.

Thread Information