Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Whats needed?

Whats needed?

I was curious on portraits,weddings ect... how do you get a photo that soft?
    Ive seen several photos that they are incredibly soft and a heavily "fogged" egde-like.
    I would liek to practice some shots to get those effects, but not sure what all would be needed to accomplish it.
    I have a rebel XT.

Re: Whats needed?

Shooting using a 50mm F2 or F1.4 lens wide open, or stopped down just a little to get the DOF need. The exposure is based on the Aperture setting.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Soft focus filter? I know they used to have them for 35mm.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I just purchased a 50mm lense,but some of the images that I have seen had to have had something else involved to give it that effect I would think.I know one of my other portrait lense I have does not give off that soft effect.
    Ill have to dig one up and post it for an example.
    Are soft focus filters avail. for several dif sized lenses?
    Im not familiar with them as I have never had a real need for one, but I may have one now.
    I could have sworn they told me there wasnt alot avail. in filters for my lense when I bought it .
    Also, thanks to the Mod who moved the topic... I honestly want sure where the best suitable place was to post the topic ;)

Quote Originally Posted by QuadJunkies
    Also, thanks to the Mod who moved the topic... I honestly want sure where the best suitable place was to post the topic ;)
    You are very welcome QJ.

They may have used a lens baby.
    Applying a blurred vigniette in photoshop would also bump up the extra blur around the edges.
    I don't know how well up on photoshop you are but here's how to apply a blurred vigniette.

Select your elliptical marquee tool in photoshop, then click and drag it on your image.
    Right click on your image and select inverse.
    Right click on your image again > feather > enter the radius (I usually use 25, 50, 75 or 100) then click OK.
    Then go to filter > Blur> Gaussian Blur > Choose a radius (you can see how much blur is being applied when you move the needle). Click OK.
    Then save your image as you normally would.

You can also use the same technique to slightly darken the edges of an image so that the main focus is on your subject and not the background.

[QUOTE=QuadJunkies]Are soft focus filters avail. for several dif sized lenses?
    Im not familiar with them as I have never had a real need for one, but I may have one now.
    I could have sworn they told me there wasnt alot avail. in filters for my lense when I bought it .
    /QUOTE]

With the use of step up or step down rings, filters can be made to fit pretty much any lens.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

The magic of Photoshop... "Back in the day" before digital, wedding photographers got this sort of look usually with either a soft focus filter of some sort (lots of tricks for that) or a Cokin special effects filter. Just like most filters, you'll have more control by doing it in Photoshop later but it does take a little time. It looks like the bride above was photographed against bushes that almost form a wall behind her. Notice that the area right above her head isn't anywhere near as out of focus as moving straight up to the edge of the shot - that wouldn't be the case with a wide aperture lens. Soft focus filters also didn't do this - the entire shot would be soft.

By the way, I'm guessing from your post that this isn't your shot. Please don't post other photographer's copyrighted images. We would prefer that you post a link to the image rather than the image itself. After all, we're photographers too - so credit where credit is due.

For seeing what artistic filters that are available check out is link: http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/theguide.htm

You can find sets on ebay cheaper than buying new but remember check the new price and shipping before biding. As I've seen the biding push the item way more than retail - where I just buy them new for less.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Id be happy to post there link. I didnt realize that was a big deal,I just wanted to show just one of the many examples I have seen.I will post direct links next time.
    I know very little about photoshop,but that short tutorial I will def. keep in mind!
    My second question was going to be about the darkened areas around a photo,so you answered that too!

I seen an ebay store who had tons of soft filters Ill check that out!... Maybe Ill just buy it(I dont have too much time to do any bidding anyhow)
    Thanks for everyones help.

Make sure to experiment with a soft filter to see if it's the effect you're really after - I know of people who have tried a bunch of different ideas before getting exactly what they wanted. Sounds like you've got a use for one coming up soon, and if that's the case make sure to shoot without the filter as well just in case you're not happy with the results.

Posting someone else's shot is a big deal, actually. I'm not trying to come down on you about this - just explain the situation. I'm sure you did it to help explain your post but there are plenty of people who have other ideas in mind. It's very easy for images to be copied & pasted and it's really a case of stealing copyrighted material, regardless of the intent. Some photographers set up their websites so you can't "right click > save" but there are ways around that if someone has their mind made up to get it. This website obviously doesn't want to host images that were not posted with permission of the photographer, and it's really a respect thing to the photographer. We're cool...

Cokin filters - make sure to note that they have three different series which are not interchangeable, the A, P and (I think it's called) X series. "A" are the smallest and won't fit lenses with larger filter sizes. I don't remember the max size, but they won't fit lenses that use 77mm filters, so I used the "P" series which handles at least that size. "X" is even bigger and you probably won't ever need it. Because Cokin filters are square, they attach to the lens with a holder made for the series, and lens adapter rings in the sizes you need to fit the filter diameters of your lenses.

Thread Information