Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What flash bracket do you recommend?

I was wondering what style of bracket everyone uses and why. I'm looking for something to get my flash off the camera to help out on the red eye. For years I have used a simple "L" bracket but was wondering what everyone uses these days. If you recommend a specific make or model and where to get it please let me know.

It will be used with a Nikon D80 and a Nikon SB600 or SB800 flash. Thanks for any suggestion you may have. I do plan on getting the SC28 cord to hook up the flash, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: What flash bracket do you recommend?

I have a Stroboframe Quick Flip 350 and I hate it, so don't get that one! When I have it mounted to my camera, the handle is on the left hand side, when I flip it to a verticle, I have to turn the camera to the right. This means that my shutter button is on the bottom right side. It's a pain in the a$$ to use. If I turn the bracket around so the handle is on the right side, it is in the way of gripping the camera and the shutter button.

Scott Kelby uses a ReallyRightStuff WPF-1 Weddng Pro flash bracket that eliminates the problems I have with my Stroboframe. It looks really nice, but you have to have an L plate on your camera in order to attach it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I had a couple of them, both from Stroboframe. One folded up completely so it would fit in the camera bag, and the other was called the Camera Flip. The folding one worked like most of them and did the job. It would probably fit just about any camera. The Camera Flip worked great with my F100 film camera but wouldn't fit either my S2 or F5. I would guess it would fit a D80 but there's only one way to know for sure...

With this kind of bracket, the bracket and flash are always held in the same place. Left hand on the bracket, flash on top of it (centered over the lens on an arm) and right hand on the camera. The camera base was hinged so that you'd just use your right hand to turn the camera counter-clockwise for a portrait shot. Initially I wondered if flash coverage would be right seeing as the flash had a horizontal spread and the camera was vertical, but I never had a problem with that. The way the base is hinged, the flash will be centered with the camera either horizontal or vertical.

Thanks for the replies, both are very helpful because I not only want to know what to look for, I want to know what to avoid. With this being a basic piece of equipment that almost everyone would use I'm surprised more members have not commented. Thanks again for taking the time, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Thanks for the replies, both are very helpful because I not only want to know what to look for, I want to know what to avoid. With this being a basic piece of equipment that almost everyone would use I'm surprised more members have not commented. Thanks again for taking the time, Jeff
    It would have helped if you would have explained a purpose and a price range. I am hesitant to suggest my favorite. It is as complete and easy to use as they come. But pricey. But since you wanted additional suggestions here goes.
    http://www.custombrackets.com/script...?idproduct=148

They just don't get much better than this.

Thread Information