Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    I Climb Rocks

What camera to buy, here's the problem... i need help

Alright here is my problem. I am in the procces of saving money to buy a new camera. My current camera is a Canon FTB ql, and i have 6 lenses for it, so what i am saying is that this whole setup here is worth almost 1200 dollars. but thats not the issue that was just chatter. But i want to upgrade to a faster camera, meaning that i want something auto focus. THis doesnt mean that i am going to use the auto focus all the time becasue i love the complete manual option. But i have considered a few cameras within my current price range that will allow me to at least upgrade from my FTB.
    They are

Canon Rebel gII

Nikon N75

Minolta Maxxum 5

or a pentax.
    Now i have had my eye on the N75 for quite a while i want to see what you guys think and tell me what you can and what to be aware of. any thing should help. I just need to be able to read it so if you read this please take the time to tell me what you can, i would appreciate it very much

Devin

Old hack
    Oboy -- here's another opening for the Canon vs Nikon vs whatever debates! I'd tell you what I like best but I don't think that this is the best forum for religious issues.

So let's start with a simple indisputable fact -- you can make great pictures with any of them.

That being the case, how to choose?

First, here are the answers to ignore: Canon is better that Nikon. The Maxxum has more features than the Pentax. Detailed comparison of specs shows that the Nikon beats the others. And so on.

A camera is a tool and it's not the sum of its specs. If you bought your FTb new, you've been shooting for some time and you know what photography is about and how you approach it. Lots of features don't matter if you don't use most of them or if the one or two you need aren't there. So read up on the cameras in question and decide which features you think you need -- what someone else needs is irrelevant. Have you handled any of the cameras in question? I find that some feel better in my hands than others, some have the controls that I use the most in easy reach, and some control layouts are just more intuitive than others. Handle them and see what you think. What feels good to someone else is also irrelevant. Spend some time in the camera shop -- find one whose sales people are willing to spend time with you and explain how the cameras operate. It's even better if you have a friend with one of your candidates who will explain it to you or, better yet, lend it to you. When you handle the cameras, think about how each will fit your own style of photography. What fits someone else's style is irrelevant as well. Think about the lenses and accessories you're likely to add to your kit. While all of the brands you mentioned have full systems, some of them might be lacking something you feel you'll need. What someone else needs ... well you get the point.

Regards
    Dennis

Thread Information