Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want a Polarizing filter need help

Is it possible to get a 72mm polarizing filter that is multi coated and is a circular filter as well that is worth having for $50.00 or under? If so which one and where do you suggest getting it? I just can't see some of these high prices for these filters. Thanks, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Want a Polarizing filter need help

I am not sure if this one is multi coated but look at this one. Ebay I think would be your best shot. I have bought Hoya IR filters dirt cheap from Hong Kong thru Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIFFEN-72mm-CIRC...ayphotohosting
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Wow - guess it's been a few years... This is almost counter-productive to what you're looking for, but I was going to suggest a 77mm slim filter. A lot of Nikon lenses have 77mm filter rings so you'd be all set, rather than having to buy another one. Slim filters are designed not to vignette on wide angle lenses. I haven't had a problem with my Hoya SMC filter of this type on a Sigma 10-20 lens.

However, it's a little over twice what you want to spend. This is a little bit like buying a tripod in the sense that it won't become obsolete, and it's cheaper in the long run to buy the right one first (rather than buying, selling and then buying again).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I am not sure if this one is multi coated but look at this one. Ebay I think would be your best shot. I have bought Hoya IR filters dirt cheap from Hong Kong thru Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIFFEN-72mm-CIRC...ayphotohosting
    I E-Mailed the seller and he responded and said that it WAS NOT MULTICOATED. Thanks for looking and trying to help, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Wow - guess it's been a few years... This is almost counter-productive to what you're looking for, but I was going to suggest a 77mm slim filter. A lot of Nikon lenses have 77mm filter rings so you'd be all set, rather than having to buy another one. Slim filters are designed not to vignette on wide angle lenses. I haven't had a problem with my Hoya SMC filter of this type on a Sigma 10-20 lens.

However, it's a little over twice what you want to spend. This is a little bit like buying a tripod in the sense that it won't become obsolete, and it's cheaper in the long run to buy the right one first (rather than buying, selling and then buying again).
    I am trying to determine how important a polarize filter would be and then I need to know how much I need to pay to get one that won't need to be replaced. I definitly do not want to have to replace it down the road.

Maybe my question should have read ...... What polarizer do you recommend and why? Then the next step would be to find the best price. How about some recommendations so I can start looking for the best price, Jeff

I use a B+W Kaesemann polarizer. The kaesemann build is a bit different from a normal polarizer and makes it more durable. They are a bit expensive though. $145 for the normal, $155 for the slim, and $230 for ultra slim.

Since I got the Cokin System and started using a grad filter I rarely use a polarizer. Only when shooting over water. I have used both. I really never could tell much difference in a multi coated and one that's not. I think the Mulit coated is less likely to cause a flare.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Well GRandpaw, try as I might, I couldn't find what you were looking for in your budget. Here's a few options from a good seller I would recommend:

Hoya HMC
    Hoya SUPER HMC
    Hoya Pro 1 Digital
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Does anyone want to give me their thoughts on this one? Thanks , Jeff

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-72mm-MRC-Cir...QQcmdZViewItem

B+W filters are excellent, but the ring on it is pretty thick. I don't know if vignetting would be a problem at the 18mm end of your lens and really the only way to tell is just to try it. However - if it is a problem, you'd have to either sell it or only be able to use it out to a certain focal length (maybe 24, maybe 30, etc).

I guess it's the Super HMC Hoya that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Well GRandpaw, try as I might, I couldn't find what you were looking for in your budget. Here's a few options from a good seller I would recommend:

Hoya HMC
    Hoya SUPER HMC
    Hoya Pro 1 Digital
    I looked at the three you have listed and they say that they are single threaded. How do you get the lens hood on with this filter? Jeff

You need a double threaded filter? Oops, must have missed that part. The Pro 1 Digital is double threaded.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I have never seen one that wasn't double threaded. Not to say they don't make them. B&W makes good filters. I had an ND grad made by them and it was a very good filter.

Sony a99/a7R

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I have B&W and while expensive, well worth the price..Spend the extra money...Save if you have to. You won't regret it.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

buying used is iffy but this guy has good ratings

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-W-72E-Circular...QQcmdZViewItem

this one is close to your price http://cgi.ebay.com/HOYA-72mm-PRO1-D...QQcmdZViewItem
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I looked at the three you have listed and they say that they are single threaded. How do you get the lens hood on with this filter? Jeff
    The slim mount filters like the one I mentioned save thickness by not having front threads. A lens hood won't attach to them but a lot of lenses with dedicated hoods have a bayonet attachment (twist) right to the lens barrel. Rotate the filter as needed, then put the hood on - it should fit over the filter but a lot of times I've just used my hand to shield the lens.

Grandpaw

What lens are you putting this filter on? If its wide angle then you need the slim filter otherwise expect some vignetting as the edge of the filter intrudes. I tried this on my 24mm on the Canon and I could see the edge of the filter in the picture, just creeping in at the corners.

I would save up the money and buy a decent one, e.g. B+W Kaesemann which is what I use.

I believe that a double threaded polariser is not require as I never use any other filter with the polariser and if I did the polariser would be the last one put on.

For land or sea scape's a polariser is essential piece of kit, but not always, it really enhances the colour and definition. A lot of my land and sea scape's use a polariser.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Grandpaw

What lens are you putting this filter on? If its wide angle then you need the slim filter otherwise expect some vignetting as the edge of the filter intrudes. I tried this on my 24mm on the Canon and I could see the edge of the filter in the picture, just creeping in at the corners.

I would save up the money and buy a decent one, e.g. B+W Kaesemann which is what I use.

I believe that a double threaded polariser is not require as I never use any other filter with the polariser and if I did the polariser would be the last one put on.

For land or sea scape's a polariser is essential piece of kit, but not always, it really enhances the colour and definition. A lot of my land and sea scape's use a polariser.

Roger
    I have been doing a lot of research on filters and I am now convinced not to throw away money on cheap filters. I have found and looked at comparison pictures and now realize that the UV filter I purchased will have to bite the dust and be replaced also. It just stands to reason that no matter how great a lens you have on your camera that if something of lesser quality is in front of it, the picture WILL BE DEGRADED. After reading several sources the B&W seems to be the one to get. Now I need to find the best price and start saving.

I am still open to any comments or suggestions, but I am leaning toward the B&W filters, As usual asking for help BEFORE purchasing will save money in the long run. Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

Don't discount the Hoya high end filters. Their as good as the B+W, and cost marginally less than the B+W. I use both the Hoya and the B+W.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What lens are you using? I only have one lens that uses the filter threads for the lens hood, and that is because the lens didn't come with a hood. If you have a hood specifically made for your lens, it shouldn't use the filter threads.

I have a B*W "slim" polarizer and I love it.

Like Another View suggested, I would get one in 77mm, that way you're covered if you get a lens with a larger filter thread in the future.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I would look at the lenses you have and get the filter for the largest lens. Then order step-up rings so you can use the filter on any of your lenses.

I would not be to worried about the quality of the filter unless you purchase an off brand. Basically any brand that KEH or B&H carries will give you excellent results if you do your part. I would check Ebay or Amazon.com and goto to your local camera store to check prices before I would purchase it.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    What lens are you using? I only have one lens that uses the filter threads for the lens hood, and that is because the lens didn't come with a hood. If you have a hood specifically made for your lens, it shouldn't use the filter threads.

I have a B*W "slim" polarizer and I love it.

Like Another View suggested, I would get one in 77mm, that way you're covered if you get a lens with a larger filter thread in the future.
    I'm using a Nikon 18 to 200 VR lens but I like the rubber collapsible lens hood and it screws in, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Jeff,

Don't discount the Hoya high end filters. Their as good as the B+W, and cost marginally less than the B+W. I use both the Hoya and the B+W.

Roger
    I agree. While I haven't tried any B+W filters, I have 2 Hoya Super HMC UV filters. They are clearly better than the Canon and Tiffen UV filters I have. Unfortunately I don't have the shots anymore but, when I had my D50 I did some comparison shots and you could clearly see a difference straight out of camera, no editing. I haven't tried their polarizers but, I wouldn't hesitate to get one, that is if they made them in Bayonet 1 mount for my Rollei
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I'm using a Nikon 18 to 200 VR lens but I like the rubber collapsible lens hood and it screws in, Jeff
    I only have one rubber collapsible hood that screws into the filter threads. I was a little surprised when I got it to see that it is also threaded for filters. Are you sure your's isn't threaded for filters too?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The rubber hood could cause problems, but it may have front-side threads as Mike suggests, so you could attach the hood first then polarizers. However, I would almost bet that this would cause vignetting at the widest settings on the lens.

Also, any type of generic hood won't cause the maximum flare protection for a lens. The "dedicated" hood will, but they have to make it work from 18-200 as well. You could get away with several stacked filters and a rubber hood as well (not that I'm suggesting this) and not have a problem. Nikon has a ton of different lens hoods for this reason.

Vignetting will only show up on the wide end - but the real question is whether it will show up at all, and if so at what focal length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information