Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Viewing images on location

When you are out at a location and want to view your images on something bigger than your camera, what do you use? My laptop died a while back and I am looking for something to view my pictures on before I leave a location to make sure I have what I need so I am looking for suggestions. With all the members and experience on this site I am anticipating some good suggestions, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Android tablet

An Android device which can act as a USB host is the first choice for me. You just plug the camera in (like a portable PC) and download the JPG's then view them. It won't download RAW files (I shoot RAW+JPG just to have the JPG's as backup). It's a simple way of having an immediate backup of your images.

I like the simplicity of an Android tablet. However - I find it is best for viewing ad not for working on images. When I want to really process the images (more than 4 days away from home) then I use one of the new generation of ultra-portable PCs. Mine weighs only 1.3 kilos and yet it's a real PC with Lightroom and all the other tools.

Mine is made by Samsung. I picked it up really cheaply in the Sales in January:

Series 9 Notebook | Samsung Office Series 9 Notebook
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Viewing images on location

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    When you are out at a location and want to view your images on something bigger than your camera, what do you use? My laptop died a while back and I am looking for something to view my pictures on before I leave a location to make sure I have what I need so I am looking for suggestions. With all the members and experience on this site I am anticipating some good suggestions, Jeff
    You can use a iPad with an SD card reader, it's called: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit. I have not tried it, but I gave one as a give with an iPad last xmas.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

First of all I would like to apologize to Charles for not responding quicker to your post. Between getting rid of spammers and having senior moments sometimes I fail to do things. As always I appreciate you and everyone else who takes the time to reply and help me out. I did check it out soon after you replied.

I would also like to thank Gordon for his advise and reply, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

Re: Android tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    An Android device which can act as a USB host is the first choice for me. You just plug the camera in (like a portable PC) and download the JPG's then view them. It won't download RAW files (I shoot RAW+JPG just to have the JPG's as backup). It's a simple way of having an immediate backup of your images.

I like the simplicity of an Android tablet. However - I find it is best for viewing ad not for working on images. When I want to really process the images (more than 4 days away from home) then I use one of the new generation of ultra-portable PCs. Mine weighs only 1.3 kilos and yet it's a real PC with Lightroom and all the other tools.

Mine is made by Samsung. I picked it up really cheaply in the Sales in January:

Series 9 Notebook | Samsung Office Series 9 Notebook
    I agree 100%. I purchased the Asus Eee Transformer 101 (not the Prime). Relatively speaking it is not that expensive and it works just fine.. I also purchased the keyboard docking station (docking station in the key word here). The DS includes ports and other features that make photography viewing much easier; i.e. an SD card slot (regular size - the Tablet has a micro SD slot) and a micro and regular USB port. When you connect the small keyboard to the Tablet, it becomes a mini version of a laptop. You can see the pics on the links below.

I purchased mine at B&H due to the price and no tax or shipping. Here is the info if you would like to check it out further. BTW, B&H sells the keyboard DS for $116 - Best Buy and most other places sell it for $150 - and the Tablet is on sale for $349 which is what I paid at B&H. It's about $40 or more other places.

Just in case you are interested, keep in mind B&H will close at 2:00 EDT this Friday until the 15th, so ordering will probably stop Thursday until the 15th.

Tablet

ASUS 16GB Eee Pad Transformer Tablet TF101-A1 B&H Photo Video

Keyboard DS

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Docking Station TF101 DOCKING B&H Photo

Just to share my personal experience - obviously there are many choices out there.

Good Luck!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I agree 100%. I purchased the Asus Eee Transformer 101 (not the Prime). Relatively speaking it is not that expensive and it works just fine.. I also purchased the keyboard docking station (docking station in the key word here). The DS includes ports and other features that make photography viewing much easier; i.e. an SD card slot (regular size - the Tablet has a micro SD slot) and a micro and regular USB port. When you connect the small keyboard to the Tablet, it becomes a mini version of a laptop. You can see the pics on the links below.

I purchased mine at B&H due to the price and no tax or shipping. Here is the info if you would like to check it out further. BTW, B&H sells the keyboard DS for $116 - Best Buy and most other places sell it for $150 - and the Tablet is on sale for $349 which is what I paid at B&H. It's about $40 or more other places.

Just in case you are interested, keep in mind B&H will close at 2:00 EDT this Friday until the 15th, so ordering will probably stop Thursday until the 15th.

Tablet

Keyboard DS

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Docking Station TF101 DOCKING B&H Photo

Just to share my personal experience - obviously there are many choices out there.

Good Luck!

Liz
    Thanks Liz for your input. I tried both links and couldn't get either one to work but I will Google it, Jeff

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Would an e-reader work?
    We just bought a Kindle fire but not to load pics onto though after reading these posts, I think I'll give it a try. I sure could see them better than I can the screen on my D80.
    We bought it mostly because my wife cannot hold and read a book anymore because of essential tremor. She can hold the Fire steady enough to read.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz

Thanks Liz for your input. I tried both links and couldn't get either one to work but I will Google it, Jeff
    Try here.....this one works. For the keyboard, just check the "accessories" for the Tablet and it is in there. For some reason the link to the keyboard isn't working - but this one is for me.

If it does not work, just to to the B&H website (you can google B&H just in case that link doesn't work). At the top of the page is a search - just search for Asus Eee Transformer 101 Tablet and it should come up. Their links are on and off this morning too. Sorry. I think B&H has the best price.

Liz

I like the blue tooth apple keyboard and it's only $69.00, the camera connection kit for the iPad is $29. You can purchase the iPad2 for $400 new (16 gig) or get the latest and greatest starting at $500. I would only get the Wi-Fi only, as most cell phones can become a Wi-Fi hot spot. Either iPad, Android, Netbook or Laptop will do the job, but a tablet is smaller and would take up less space.

Note the Kindle Fire, is an Android Tablet set up as a book reader. But with all LCD's using it in the bright sun doesn't work all that well.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    I like the blue tooth apple keyboard and it's only $69.00, the camera connection kit for the iPad is $29. You can purchase the iPad2 for $400 new (16 gig) or get the latest and greatest starting at $500. I would only get the Wi-Fi only, as most cell phones can become a Wi-Fi hot spot. Either iPad, Android, Netbook or Laptop will do the job, but a tablet is smaller and would take up less space.

Note the Kindle Fire, is an Android Tablet set up as a book reader. But with all LCD's using it in the bright sun doesn't work all that well.
    If I am not mistaken, the only way you can view photos on the Kindle Fire is via email; IOW - send yourself an email which includes the photos. Is this true? Also, if I remember correctly I don't think the KF has the ports/slots for the right connections.

Liz

Thanks again Gordon and Liz for your help. Liz, I tried the new link with Firefox and Safari and could not get it with either one. I am in no hurry with this but I am interested in finding out what my options are, Jeff

Liz

Thanks again Gordon and Liz for your help. Liz, I tried the new link with Firefox and Safari and could not get it with either one. I am in no hurry with this but I am interested in finding out what my options are, Jeff
    If the links do not work, just to to the B&H website (you can google B&H just in case that link doesn't work). At the top of the their home page is a search - just search for Asus Eee Transformer 101 Tablet and it should come up.

For the keyboard docking station, just look into the "Accessories" portion of the Tablet - and you will find it there (it's the one for $116).

It's good you are not in a hurry. I had originally purchased the Kindle, but returned it as soon as I was told it was not the Tablet of choice for any kind of photography. It took me quite a few weeks and lots of research before I decided on the Asus.

Good luck

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    If the links do not work, just to to the B&H website (you can google B&H just in case that link doesn't work). At the top of the their home page is a search - just search for Asus Eee Transformer 101 Tablet and it should come up.

For the keyboard docking station, just look into the "Accessories" portion of the Tablet - and you will find it there (it's the one for $116).

It's good you are not in a hurry. I had originally purchased the Kindle, but returned it as soon as I was told it was not the Tablet of choice for any kind of photography. It took me quite a few weeks and lots of research before I decided on the Asus.

Good luck

Liz
    Liz, I am checking it out. Thanks, Jeff

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

If you can afford it, nothing out there beats the display on the new iPad. Pros are drooling over it. I saw it the other day and was stunned by the quality. With a camera connection adapter, you'd be all set. But it is pricey.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

Here's a working link to the ASUS tablet.

The problem with the ASUS tablet is there is not an USB plug and it only has a Micro SD card slot. Is there a SD reader for the ASUS?
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    The problem with the ASUS tablet is there is not an USB plug and it only has a Micro SD card slot. Is there a SD reader for the ASUS?
    The keyboard dock has a full SD card slot and a USB2 port so you can do just about anything. The salespeople at my company have it. Pretty smart.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    The keyboard dock has a full SD card slot and a USB2 port so you can do just about anything. The salespeople at my company have it. Pretty smart.
    Yes, this is correct. Below is copy/paste of the docking station features.....

The Eee Pad Transformer Docking Station from ASUS is a portable docking station that is compatible with the TF101 Transformer tablet. Simply connect this dock to the tablet in order to transform the touchscreen device into a notebook with physical keyboard and trackpad!

The dock features a built-in 8-hour battery -- effectively doubling the battery life of the TF101. In addition to a chiclet-style keyboard, it boasts a trackpad with multi-touch gesture support, an SD card reader, and two USB 2.0 ports. It can be used at a desk or on-the-go.

Keyboard dock converts your TF101 tablet into a notebook
    Built-in 24.4Wh Lithium-Polymer battery powers the TF101 for an additional 8 hours -- effectively doubling its battery life!
    Chiclet keyboard is 92% full-size
    Trackpad features full support for multi-touch gestures
    Built-in SD card reader
    Two USB 2.0 ports
    1x SD Card Reader
    Built-in 24.4Wh Lithium-Polymer battery (8 hours)

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with ideas. I will be checking out my options for a while, Jeff

Thread Information