Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    banished

ViewFinder-- which is better

Gonna add a new view finder. which one is better. Don't know much about the price, in fact.

http://www.dhgate.com/new-seagull-sn...3c5741d77.html
    http://www.dhgate.com/seagull-snap-o...0664d3d5f.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ViewFinder-- which is better-b_72z6pt462756_0.jpg   ViewFinder-- which is better-b_8qij7l462269_0.jpg  

Re: ViewFinder-- which is better

What are you trying to accomplish by getting one of these? They will only operate at a 90 degree angle to the back of the camera such as having it point straight up so you can look down it it to take a picture. Unless you have a specific need for this I would think it would be a waste of money, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

One has a 1x-2x magnification and the other has a 1.25x-2.5x magnifications, and just by looking at the photos the 1.25x-2.5x viewfinder has a metal mount, where the other has a plastic mount. Depending on your planned use, those things may make the difference for you. If you are going to be manually focusing with one of these, the one with a higher magnification may be the better choice.

To answer Jeff's question about the need for one of these, I can say this. Up until I got a camera that offered a live view LCD screen, I was in the market for one of these. The right angle view finder would have come in very handy for shooting things very close to the ground. It's not easy to get your eye to the view finder when your camera is sitting on the ground. Now that most DSLR's offer live view, I no longer see the need for something like this in my kit.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

banished

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    What are you trying to accomplish by getting one of these? They will only operate at a 90 degree angle to the back of the camera such as having it point straight up so you can look down it it to take a picture. Unless you have a specific need for this I would think it would be a waste of money, Jeff

Actually i need to take some special photos, i do think i need one, but i won't take it anywhere cuz it makes my bag much too heavy.

banished

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    One has a 1x-2x magnification and the other has a 1.25x-2.5x magnifications, and just by looking at the photos the 1.25x-2.5x viewfinder has a metal mount, where the other has a plastic mount. Depending on your planned use, those things may make the difference for you. If you are going to be manually focusing with one of these, the one with a higher magnification may be the better choice.

To answer Jeff's question about the need for one of these, I can say this. Up until I got a camera that offered a live view LCD screen, I was in the market for one of these. The right angle view finder would have come in very handy for shooting things very close to the ground. It's not easy to get your eye to the view finder when your camera is sitting on the ground. Now that most DSLR's offer live view, I no longer see the need for something like this in my kit.

good points, friend, thanks a lot, actually a man on the web has a used one, he wants to sell it to me, but i am afraid there would be some components not good.

Both photos are the same. Metal is better than plastic. But it's the optics that is the deciding factor. Have you tried looking through both of the finders. If you have not I would advise that you try them in the store before purchase. The magnification difference will not mater.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

banished

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Both photos are the same. Metal is better than plastic. But it's the optics that is the deciding factor. Have you tried looking through both of the finders. If you have not I would advise that you try them in the store before purchase. The magnification difference will not mater.
    Thank you, friend.

Thread Information