Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Understanding & Using Histograms

Try this site for good info on histograms.

http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html

Histograms are more useful before final scan or before exposure(with camera) then after the event.
    As someone mentioned - your eyes can tell you that you have it wrong. You don't need a histogram for that.
    Histograms can be used to correct (by-the-numbers) not the best way, but helpful.
    As someone elso also mentioned - there is no such thing as accurate or perfect colour, unless you are matching two samples.
    There are people who see colour differently with each eye. Go Figure - It must give them some special problems.

PFitz

Thanks for posting, looks like a lot of good info.

I'll add that in my experience, I hear people talking about good and bad histograms but not in context with the final image that they're trying to get. Histograms are a very useful tool - but like when you're building a house, you need more than just a hammer to get the final result. Takes a lot of tools - and knowing what to do with the tools - to get the results you want.

I've heard it talked about like you're breaking a federal law to have a histogram cut off on one side or the other. For example, you can have a good image with a histogram all stacked up on the right - a night shot where you want the sky to be dark. Also, I photographed a well-lit memorial at dusk the other night, and had the right side of the histogram clipped just a little bit - due to the lights on it. To bring that back, I'd have to underexpose several stops. If I tried to get the shadow detail back, I'd wind up with a horrible grainy (noisy) image! OK, enough with the pet peeve...

Thread Information