Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Switched to Mac, can't view photos...

I just started a new position and I'm now using a Mac instead of a PC. I'm not able to view all of the images that are posted. Some show up just fine, while others just show me a little box. I'm using Internet Explorer in both OS-9 and OS-X and I get the same results with both. Is there some settings on the Mac that I have to change or something in my profile?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Switched to Mac, can't view photos...

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I'm now using a Mac instead of a PC.
    There's your problem right there. Sorry for the sarcasm, it wasn't meant to be mean though. I am a network engineer for a newspaper and we're doing everything we can to get every last mac out of the building. There are a few proprietary apps that we still need them for but they are long gone from the desks of photographers and artists.

Again, sorry, just had to rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctirus
    I am a network engineer for a newspaper and we're doing everything we can to get every last mac out of the building. There are a few proprietary apps that we still need them for but they are long gone from the desks of photographers and artists.

That kind of surprises me. I was always told that for anything art or graphic related that Mac is the only way to go. I don't have much experiance with them myself. This new job is giving me a crash course in the Mac tho. I don't mind the switch and anytime you learn something new, and get paid for it, is a good thing in my book.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

That was more true in the old days, not so much anymore. There are some people that want to hang onto them just because that's what they're used to but there really isn't a reason to buy a mac for business anymore. Why pay more than twice as much for a mac than a PC that could do the job as well or better, not to mention macs are nightmares on networks.

Known Problem

This is a known problem. It has to do with the way images are attached in this forum software. They're actually attachments, not coded into the page as regular JPEGs. I'm not sure what the solution is, but other Mac users should be able to help. I believe that OS9 won't work. There are different versions of OSX so you might check and see if you have the latest version.

As for Macs being the way to go for graphics, I believe that was true 5+ years ago, but I don't think it's true anymore. In fact, there's tons of photo-related software available now that's only written for PCs. The PC market is much, much bigger and economics dictate what and how much software is available. Macs are nice. But don't believe the hype.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am a mac user so maybe I can help. Internet Explorer is not really supported by microsoft on macs anymore so I'd suggest downloading the Firefox Browser ( http://www.mozilla.org/ ) and trying that.

As far as the PC better than macs thing goes. Both PC's and Mac's can kick ass at doing just about everything now, they also both can suck from time to time, some have a history of sucking more than others though... I use Mac because I grew up on them and I like them, It doesn't mean you can't use a PC. The one huge undeniable advantage that Macs have right now are the insignificanly small number of viruses that can affect them compared to the PC world.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Thanks for helping, Alan

Good point about the viruses. I do know Mac users who are running IE and can see photos on the forums. I'll see if any of them know why it's working for them. I think they all run the latest versions of OS X. And Firefox - I love it and run it on my laptop. I still use IE at the office because it's got the majority of the market, but I now prefer Firefox and use it for my personal Web browsing.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by kafin8ed
    I am a mac user so maybe I can help. Internet Explorer is not really supported by microsoft on macs anymore so I'd suggest downloading the Firefox Browser ( http://www.mozilla.org/ ) and trying that.

As far as the PC better than macs thing goes. Both PC's and Mac's can kick ass at doing just about everything now, they also both can suck from time to time, some have a history of sucking more than others though... I use Mac because I grew up on them and I like them, It doesn't mean you can't use a PC. The one huge undeniable advantage that Macs have right now are the insignificanly small number of viruses that can affect them compared to the PC world.

Thanks for the info, but since this is a company system, I'm not able to download anything to it. Oh well, I guess I should be working anyway. ;)
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I've heard that the virus thing is mainly true because viruses are usually .exe files which don't work on a Mac - as well as the fact that there are less Mac's in the world than PC's so people writing these things don't worry about them as much. True?

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

The one huge undeniable advantage that Macs have right now are the insignificanly small number of viruses that can affect them compared to the PC world.
    Yeah most people don't bother to write viruses for Macs. And the script kiddies generally only know how to mess with Windows.

I don't have anything against Macs, although, as was mentioned, they can be a pain in the ass to support when there's only a couple in a company full of PCs. I used to be the designated Mac support person because the stubborn geek boys wouldn't touch them, and we used DAVE to network them into the Windows environment, not bad software but it caused a few headaches.

Anyway, I'm a Linux girl at heart.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Yep - actually I was typing that in my post while you were posting. Basically those reasons are one and the same. People don't bother to write viruses for MACs, since they're writing them for Windows they write them as Windows executables.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks for the info, but since this is a company system, I'm not able to download anything to it. Oh well, I guess I should be working anyway. ;)
    Try using Safari. It works for me (IE does not). It's included with OS X (at least it's in any version worth using) so you shouldn't have to install anything.

Pro Newb

i am a qualified apple assoc and i can tell you that not only is the "network engineer" wrong but totally misguided

Macs are the way forward in the graphics/arts market, and mac osx is by far a better OS

not got time to go into it but i will return

Quote Originally Posted by Words
    i am a qualified apple assoc and i can tell you that not only is the "network engineer" wrong but totally misguided

Macs are the way forward in the graphics/arts market, and mac osx is by far a better OS

not got time to go into it but i will return
    If that were true our photographers and artists wouldn't be so excited to go to PCs. Also show me how to connect a mac to a clustered share and I'll fill my building with them

Perhaps being a apple associate is influencing your opinion.

Re: Thanks for helping, Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Good point about the viruses..
    Apparenlty that's not so true anymore. The hackers took note of everyone saying this. Therefore, mac viruses are on the incline. It has nothing to with nothing except supply and demand. There are sooo many more PC users that the hackers didn't waste their time. My favorite was reading threads where people, for some unkown reason, believed it was something to do with the impenatratability of the mac system.

As far as Mozilla, it has it's problems too. I use it's mail, but gave up on using it for the web. Let's face it, every web site is designed around IE. Supported or not, most mac users I know keep IE because it will work.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkman
    As far as Mozilla, it has it's problems too. I use it's mail, but gave up on using it for the web. Let's face it, every web site is designed around IE. Supported or not, most mac users I know keep IE because it will work.
    I have not had to go back to IE for any web site since switching to Firefox. Opera, my previous default browswer, did have problems. Mozilla 1.7 also had problems. Firefox has been very compatible. Of course, Firefox is not bug free! Like now, my cursor has disappeared and I can't tell where I'm typing!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I have Safari up now and everything seems to work just fine. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Arctirus
    If that were true our photographers and artists wouldn't be so excited to go to PCs. Also show me how to connect a mac to a clustered share and I'll fill my building with them
    Install OS X 10.3. In the Finder under the "Go" menu, select "Connect to server". My Mac will connect to anything on our active directory network my PC will.

Thread Information