Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Starting photography class next semester, need camera suggestions

I'm going to be starting my photography 1 class next semester at my college and I need a 35mm SLR manual film camera. I'm looking for opinions and recommendations for cameras under $400 (preferably 2-400). I currently own a Digital Rebel for work purposes, but that's digital and the course requires a manual 35mm camera. Any suggestions woudl be greatly appreciated. I would prefer sticking with something Canon if possible, so that I can swap lenses with my rebel. I'm considering a film rebel ti, does anyone have any opinions on that? Thanks for any help.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Starting photography class next semester, need camera suggestions

Hello

I think the Rebel Ti is supposed to be a great camera. It's an automatic camera with manual settings if you wish to use it that way. I'd also look at the Rebel 2000 which is no longer made (replaced with the Rebel Ti I think) but was the highest selling SLR in the world before then. I'd check Ebay for some screaming deals on them.

Good luck.
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Mamiya Man

Well if your looking for a camera for camera class I enjoyed using all manual cameras. If you are looking for a manual camera that is well made and aren't worried about whether it's new or not I would get an older cannon. I know If I didn't have so many eos lenses I would have gotten a canon f1n and some fd lenses by now. I have used an ae1 and really enjoyed it but the canon f1n is built like a tank and has more accessories than you can shake a stick at. There are alot of people that still enjoy using it. If you are looking for a newer camera I love my Canon elan7e. you can put that into manual mode and now that the elan7n is out you should be able to find the older version fairly cheap.

Magoo.

Ranter and raver.

Well, my usually suggestion (Pentax K-1000, KX, MX, ME, or, if you have some change to throw around, LX) doesn't really apply here since you already have a Canon investment and wouldn't gain a thing by changing systems - but I would like to suggest keh.com. Their prices can be a few dollars above eBay (or a few dollars below depending how crazy bidding wars are on a few items) but they have an absolutely wonderful reputation for selling the nicest gear that has been completely checked over and tuned up.

Note: editted for the usual morning typos.

You should check first to see if the course will allow usage of an automatic camera with manual settings. Some don't, for whatever silly reasons - like they're afraid you'll switch to auto to cheat or something - and this determination is often up to the instructor.

To be able to swap lenses with the Digital Rebel, you'll have to stick with a Canon model accepting the EF mount EOS lenses. Looking at B&H, it appears the Rebel Ti has now been replaced by the T2 - $189.95 body only. Below it are the K2 ($149.95) and the G2 ($114.95). The differences appear to be slight - and on the automation side, not the manual control side.

If you have to get a 'pure manual' camera, then EOS lens compatibility won't be possible, so you'll be looking at camera and lens. The AE-1 is a solid classic from the late 70's. They do tend to hold their value somewhat richly, though - so you may find that for the same money you could go with a new one from another brand. Canon no longer makes a 'pure manual' SLR. Minolta's X-370s with a 35-70 lens starts at $214.95. Nikon's FM10 with a 35-70 lens is $219.95. Pentax's ZX-M (successor to the classic K1000) is $199.95 with 50mm lens, $219.95 with 35-80.

There seems to be a common thread here. They all want $219.95 from you.

Thread Information