Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Spot on zoom shots

Hello,
    We just got a new Panasonic LZ7 about
    a month ago, and I've noticed in the past
    week that a spot is appearing on images
    when I shoot at full zoom. This also happened
    with a Canon A510 that I had. Both cameras
    are being used in Egypt (a fairly dusty location).
    I wonder if anyone can tell me what the
    problem is and whether it can be fixed...

I'm including a link to a sample picture. I
    apologize for its size (3MB), but the problem
    is most easily visible at full resolution.
    The spot is directly above "come" in the picture
    and about 1/4 of the way from the top.

Should I try manually cleaning the lens with
    a soft cloth, etc., or is this spot INSIDE the
    camera. Do you know of any way it could be
    repaired (either by me, the user, or by a professional)?

I don't want to make the problem worse...

Thanks!

http://www.wiebeplett.net/images/P1000698.JPG

Re: Spot on zoom shots

I'm far from an expert but I can pretty much guarantee that it's not dust on the lens. Dust on the lens would not show up on a photo because of it's close proximity to the lens. The lens would render it so far out of focus that it wouldn't even be noticed. I suspect dust on the sensor. As far as cleaning a sensor, I'll leave that to an expert.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Would it be possible to use compressed air and just blow it into the lens area in hopes of dislodging the dust from the sensor? Is there any possible way this would damage anything?

Barrette

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Do not used compressed air......too powerful from everything I read.
    Get a giottos rocket blower.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by bjtplett
    Hello,

Thanks!

I believe the technical name for this is Palm Tree! Just kidding........ I don't see anything when I look at it.

I'm no expert on this but if the same thing is happening on two different cameras I would think the odds of BOTH CAMERAS having the same problem would be astronomical. Myself, the cameras can be eliminated, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello,

Thanks!
    Yes that is something that has gotten inside the camera and is setting on the sensor's IR filter. The reason you see it on the telephoto end of the zoom is that the dust is blocking more of the light(see a physics text book for more information).

Unluckily you will have to take it to a camera repair shop as the the lens is not a user changeable lens (both the Panasonic LZ7 and Canon A510). Only on DSLR's can the users clean the image sensors.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Yes that is something that has gotten inside the camera and is setting on the sensor's IR filter. The reason you see it on the telephoto end of the zoom is that the dust is blocking more of the light(see a physics text book for more information).

Unluckily you will have to take it to a camera repair shop as the the lens is not a user changeable lens (both the Panasonic LZ7 and Canon A510). Only on DSLR's can the users clean the image sensors.
    I don't know anything about physics but can you explain to ole Grandpaw how you can end up with identical problems in BOTH cameras and it be on both sensors in the same place? I'm not saying this for arguments sake I just can't imagine the odds of this happening to BOTH cameras, Jeff
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 09-17-2007 at 03:43 PM.

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The two cameras thing slippped by me,(as many things do anymore.
    I blamed my poor eyesight for not being able to see the spot.
    Now I'm wondering; are you viewing your pictures on one screen? Have you cleaned your monitor lately. Hey, it happens!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies. As I mentioned in my original post, the "spot" started showing up after I'd been using the camera for a few months. Same monitor, so, I think we can rule that out. I'm pretty sure it's dust because the symptom matches what I've read about DSLRs and the samples I've seen when they have sensor dust.

I agree that the odds of the same problem should be low, but...
    1) I apparently have bad luck, and
    2) As I said, the cameras are in Egypt, which is a very dusty, dry location.

I'm not confident the rocket blower would work because I can't really get at the lens. What I was thinking is that if I try canned air and just sort of blow it into the lens housing from the outside, it might move the dust around/get it off the sensor... Is there a danger of permanently damaging things if I try this? (Digital camera repair in Egypt is a risky proposition at best, and I'd prefer to not have to have someone take the camera apart; it's only a month old!)

Or is this, in your opinions, a warranty-covered sort of thing that I should maybe try to get Panasonic to deal with? I imagine the lens is supposed to be a "sealed" unit, but it's not rated as weather/dust/waterproof...

Barrette
    Last edited by bjtplett; 09-18-2007 at 07:08 AM. Reason: minor typo

I'm pretty sure it's dust because the symptom matches what I've read about DSLRs
    The reason it happens with DSLR's is because the lenses are removeable. Usually the problem happens when changing lenses often and/or carlessly, in dusty environments, etc. A fixed lens camera should be much less likely to have this happen but I would think it's more likely in Egypt than here in the US due to the dust and sand.

You'd be just as likely to damage the camera as to fix it with compressed air, and I would not try it. If you're sure the camera is the problem then send it in for service.

FWIW, I didn't see it either - and cloning out dust in Photoshop is my preferred method instead of really cleaning the sensor on my DSLR (but I do use a Giottos Rocket Air blower occasionally).

i can see it so its not a monitor problem or anything.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Hello,

Thanks!

Could you put this picture in Paint or something and draw a circle around the problem or point it out with an arrow so we can look at it again, Jeff

bj..., suggestion, if you have both cameras, can you put them at full zoom and take a picture of a white wall and see if the spots are still there. You say this happens with both cameras...do the spots occur in the same places? Does it only happen at full zoom? Let us know and maybe we can contribute some additional thoughts?

WesternGuy

Hi,
    Thanks so much for all the interest in this problem. I do have both cameras, but the Canon has since totally seized up (another thing that makes me suspect dust inside). The marks are in different places on the different cameras, as you can see here. Since I can't take new pictures with the Canon, I've included some shots I took earlier this year with it (when it was on its last legs).
    Unedited Canon shot (3 marks, including one quite big)
    Same as previous, but with marks highlighted.

I have posted "Paint"ed copies of the current (Panasonic) picture (resized). It seems like the mark is actually quite big and easier to see if the picture is not displayed at full size. Anyhow, these two samples should help you see where it is and then you'll be able to see it full-size. I see it in every zoom shot with a relatively light, uniform background.

Smaller version
    Larger version

Thanks again for your ideas in suggestions!

Barrette

Hi,
    Thanks so much for all the interest in this problem. I do have both cameras, but the Canon has since totally seized up (another thing that makes me suspect dust inside). The marks are in different places on the different cameras, as you can see here. Since I can't take new pictures with the Canon, I've included some shots I took earlier this year with it (when it was on its last legs).
    Unedited Canon shot (3 marks, including one quite big)
    Same as previous, but with marks highlighted.

I have posted "Paint"ed copies of the current (Panasonic) picture (resized). It seems like the mark is actually quite big and easier to see if the picture is not displayed at full size. Anyhow, these two samples should help you see where it is and then you'll be able to see it full-size. I see it in every zoom shot with a relatively light, uniform background.

Smaller version
    Larger version

Thanks again for your ideas in suggestions!

Barrette

I didn't see the problem at first but now I can see what you are talking about! Also telling us that the spots are in different places with each camera changes things all together, Jeff
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 09-19-2007 at 05:50 AM.

I can definitely see them.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

So now that we've established the dots are there (I was beginning to think I needed to get not my monitor or my camera but my eyes checked)...

Earlier I'd asked if I could used canned air to try to blow the dust off the sensor. Since it's not a DSLR (i.e. it's a closed lens), I can't actually access the sensor directly.

I was thinking that I'd just try to blow some canned air into the whole lens assembly, and try to create some turbulence to move the dust around/get it off the sensor.

It was suggested that I not do that, but I'm curious about what damage I could do. The only thing I can think of is that it might further compromise the "seal," but since there's dust in there already, it seems to me I wouldn't make it worse... But I may be wrong. Thoughts - specific reasons that it would be dangerous?

Barrette

Canned air uses a propellant to pressurize it, and could leave a residue on the sensor (making things much worse than they are). Also, it's a lot of pressure, so something could get damaged. There are a lot of "could's", but I wouldn't take the chance.

Propellant on the sensor is a good reason to not give it a try.

Do any of you have experience dealing with camera warranty (generally or specifically with Panasonic)?

In your opinions, is dust on the sensor a warrantable defect? (We've had the camera for only a month, so it should still be under warranty.)

Barrette

So now that we've established the dots are there (I was beginning to think I needed to get not my monitor or my camera but my eyes checked)...

Earlier I'd asked if I could used canned air to try to blow the dust off the sensor. Since it's not a DSLR (i.e. it's a closed lens), I can't actually access the sensor directly.

I was thinking that I'd just try to blow some canned air into the whole lens assembly, and try to create some turbulence to move the dust around/get it off the sensor.

It was suggested that I not do that, but I'm curious about what damage I could do. The only thing I can think of is that it might further compromise the "seal," but since there's dust in there already, it seems to me I wouldn't make it worse... But I may be wrong. Thoughts - specific reasons that it would be dangerous?

Barrette
    The canned air could blow out all the dust seals and then you have a easy path for more dust to get into the optical path and on the sensor.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information