Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Sling Style Camera Straps

Hi I was just wondering if anyone had tried one of the sling style straps from BlackRapid or Sun Sniper? They are kind of expensive and I've managed to rig up something similar using a rifle sling for my point and shoot but I think I might like some of the double rigs for using at weddings and events where I carry two cameras. Just not sure if I'm ready to shell out the money.

My biggest concern with my homemade rig is the swivel hook, I just took one from an old laptop case strap and it seems fine for my point and shoot but I don't think I would trust my SLR on it. For anyone that has tried either of these how wide is the strap? I've looked their sites and they sell the connector but I hate to order it if it wont fit my strap (1.25")
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Smile Update: Purchased a Carry Speed CS-1

Hi everyone I noticed a had a few views but no response. I decide to try a different sling style strap than the ones I asked about (Black Rapid and Sun Sniper). I just couldn't see spending that much for a strap right now.

I got a Carry Speed CS-1 it's just a single one for now but I really like it. I don't have any of the others to compare it too but it seems well made and has been comfy to use. The shoulder pad has a pocket that I keep a spare card and microfiber cloth in. It attaches to the camera via a plate that attaches in the tripod mount. The shipping was super fast (we're both in Texas) I ordered on Thursday and had it on Monday. It was $34.99 so much more affordable than the others I had looked at. I'll try and add some photos of it later.
    If every morning when you wake your goal is to straighten out people, you probably should be a funeral director. - Charles Lowery

Re: Sling Style Camera Straps

I love the sling style strap. I have a black rapid and one I made from webbing for a few $$. I bought the BR clip/ webbing slider part for $12 or so. The total came to $15ish for the whole deal. I use Kirk Arca Swiss camera plates on my cameras. They have a little loop machined into them. I had a small piece of webbing sewn into this loop for the clip to attach. It is smooth as hell and can never come unscrewed. I can also use my tripod without removing the strap.

Making your own straps, check the Tandy Leather Factory, for the clips and other hardware.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I just bought one from e-bay for 13 dollars. I'll let you know how it how it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sling Style Camera Straps-slingstrap.jpg   Sling Style Camera Straps-slingstrap2.jpg  

n8

Those look pretty nice indeed. A bit steep for a strap though.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

n8

I thought I'd resurrect this after almost 5 months. I actually just got my "quick strap," yes, a rapid strap knock off, that was about $8 on ebay. More towards $15 if you count the shipping. Anyhow, after a quick walk around the house and a good visual inspection, a $60 black rapid better come with some encrusted jewels or something to justify the price. This thing seems pretty solid...no less than the tamrac straps I've trusted for so long that rely on plastic quick clips.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Thread Information