Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Shooting Depth-of-field pictures

So I have this photo assignment where I'm supposed to capture 1 very shallow depth of field photo and 1 very deep deep depth of field photo.

I know shallow DOF photo is a photo where the subject your focusing on is in crystal clarity while the background is out of focus

Not sure what a deep DOP photo is but I know you need to set your lens to f-11 + to get such an effect

Also 1 problem my digital camera is only F2.7-5.7 aperture so how I'm I suppose to get the deep DOP photos?! I'm I bonned?

Please help.

Re: Shooting Depth-of-field pictures

Any help is appreciated.

What kind of camera are you using? The aperture settings you posted are for your lens at its widest. It tells a photographer how to figure the speed of the lens.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

NSSA/AIPS

First what type camera are you using, DSLR or Point and shoot? In most cases the listed aperture range (F 2.7-5.7) is only the maximum opening. It's got two values because as you run out through the longer focal lengths (zoom in) the lens allows less light to pass.
    In theory your lens should still be able to make an exposure at F11 or smaller as you rightly assume. Find out how to set the camera to aperture priority and there should be a way to set the aperture to a small F values. If that doesn't work you need to set your shutter speed to a very slow value and the camera will decrease the F stop (close the aperture) in accordance to the amount of light needed to make the exposure. Also for the deep DOF shot use the slowest ISO that you can set. You will probably need to figure out how to hold the camera steady as well. But that I suspect is part of what this assignment is about.
    Basically what the instructor is doing is forcing you to take the camera out of (A)uto mode and learn the controls.
    It's not about the camera....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris350 View Post
    First what type camera are you using, DSLR or Point and shoot? In most cases the listed aperture range (F 2.7-5.7) is only the maximum opening. It's got two values because as you run out through the longer focal lengths (zoom in) the lens allows less light to pass.
    In theory your lens should still be able to make an exposure at F11 or smaller as you rightly assume. Find out how to set the camera to aperture priority and there should be a way to set the aperture to a small F values. If that doesn't work you need to set your shutter speed to a very slow value and the camera will decrease the F stop (close the aperture) in accordance to the amount of light needed to make the exposure. Also for the deep DOF shot use the slowest ISO that you can set. You will probably need to figure out how to hold the camera steady as well. But that I suspect is part of what this assignment is about.
    Basically what the instructor is doing is forcing you to take the camera out of (A)uto mode and learn the controls.
    I use a point and shoot and its this: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W330

I'm afraid the camera Maximum aperture is F2.7 - F5.7 stated in the specs and there's also no setting to change it at all. The only good news is that I can shoot larger aperture photos but not smaller ones?

or it there something else I can do to take smaller aperture photos ??

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    What kind of camera are you using? The aperture settings you posted are for your lens at its widest. It tells a photographer how to figure the speed of the lens.
    Point and Shoot Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W330 .

The lens are this:
    Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar

f=4.7mm-18.8mm (26mm-105 )
    F2.7(w)-F.5.7(t)

NSSA/AIPS

Start with the basics.. You know the larger the F number the smaller the aperture correct.? In other words F/2.7 is wide open, F/22 is as small as most standard lenses go. You're going to have a hard time doing this because this camera is not designed with any manual mode. The lens will close to a minimum aperture of F/8. Figure out how to make that possible and that is the best you are going to achieve. Point and Shoots are designed for just that, make a simple operation of taking a picture. They are limited when asked to do what you intend to do. There is a way, as described in my first post, but there is no straight forward way to set the camera specifically to do what you want.
    Again, low ISO, with slow shutter speed will force the camera to use a small aperture. It helps once you understand the basic trade offs between ISO, shutter speed, aperture and available light. I suspect that this is another goal on this assignment.

Chris is right on the aperture / ISO / shutter speed. you can make your camera do what you want with the shutter and ISO settings.

However, distance is also involved. Actually the distance from the sensor to the subject and the distance from the subject to the background. Difficult to explain, but easy to see with some experimentation.

Place your subject (preferably something small) about 10 feet from the background. Move toward the subject until the lens will not focus on the subject. Back off till you get a sharp focus, then take a photo. Do not change any settings, use natural light, not flash.

Back away 10 feet, take another photo.

back away another 10ft, take another photo. You might want to keep backing away and taking photos, but three or four should show the difference.

Now you can evaluate the differences on your depth of field.

Phil

NSSA/AIPS

Quote Originally Posted by PWhite214 View Post
    Chris is right on the aperture / ISO / shutter speed. you can make your camera do what you want with the shutter and ISO settings.

However, distance is also involved. Actually the distance from the sensor to the subject and the distance from the subject to the background. Difficult to explain, but easy to see with some experimentation.

Place your subject (preferably something small) about 10 feet from the background. Move toward the subject until the lens will not focus on the subject. Back off till you get a sharp focus, then take a photo. Do not change any settings, use natural light, not flash.

Back away 10 feet, take another photo.

back away another 10ft, take another photo. You might want to keep backing away and taking photos, but three or four should show the difference.

Now you can evaluate the differences on your depth of field.

Phil
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by scaralgol View Post
    I know shallow DOF photo is a photo where the subject your focusing on is in crystal clarity while the background is out of focus
    Use the longest focal length you have and shoot the subject at minimum focus distance. Or, choose and shoot in macro mode and compare the result from the former.

Not sure what a deep DOP photo is but I know you need to set your lens to f-11 + to get such an effect
    Try using the landscape mode or something similar, focus at a far away subject but not necessarily at infinity and shoot. Hopefully by choosing landscape mode, your camera would choose the smallest f-stop. As for dof, your small sensor digital compact should have no problem getting to a lot of it.

Still, without manual mode to allow you to set the aperture, it is difficult to know for sure what aperture your camera is using until the shot is taken.

I know you are asking how to get these effects on your camera and I cannot help with that but if you go to the link below and play with the camera settings and do some reading you will learn how all these things effect your picture.
    cameraDemo
    As you change each of the settings on the camera in the demo you will immediately see how it effects your picture and how it changes the other settings to compensate to get the correct light. Play with changing the settings and you will learn a lot about how a camera works, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by scaralgol View Post
    So I have this photo assignment where I'm supposed to capture 1 very shallow depth of field photo and 1 very deep deep depth of field photo.

Also 1 problem my digital camera is only F2.7-5.7 aperture so how I'm I suppose to get the deep DOP photos?! I'm I bonned?

Please help.
    First you are going to be limited, as you will not be able to get the DOF effects using the same scene. Your shallow DOF put the camera into micro mode and take a close up of a flower, toy or what ever check and make sure you have set if possible the ISO to the lest sensitive setting possible with the shutter speed not less than 1/30 with out a tripod. For your deep DOF photo if you can set the ISO as high as possible with out exceeding the maximum shutter speed and take a landscape/cityscape/seascape with items in the foreground.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information