Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Which camera for B&W photography F100, N80, D70 ?

I am into photography mostly B&W on enviromental nudes (Fav. Artists:Herb Ritts,Bruce Weber,Mario Testino,Avedon etc.) and Urban stories (Potraits, Architectural settings) type of photography. I am looking to buy a Nikon; but which one will suit my needs with 1000 $ (1200$ max) budget (inc. or excl. lens)? F100 , N(F)80 or new D70 ? I have used manual cameras such as FM2 in the past. Howewer, now I want to switch to something reliable, quick, with good built quality. I am very new to Digital cameras,This new D70 is good enough to make such photography (see above)? Or digital cameras are not good enough for B&W photography ? Some say image size sensor is limited on Digital ones (23,7mm-15,6mm) compare to regular SLR (where image sensor size is about 24mm-36 mm) How does this effect on the results of such photography ?

About the lens, I am going to buy lens for this new equipment. I have suggested to go for 24-120 mm for the beginning.
    This is where I started to get confused; bec 24-120 Nikon lens cost about 650-700 $, F100 is about 800$ (in a good deal), Together is too much for me. But If I go for N(F)80 for 245 $ (on sale at infinitycameras.com) plus good lens such as Nikkor 24-120mm. What would be the result like ? Or Just got for new D70 with bundled lens and buy good lens later time. Same for F100 with regular lens (buying with 28-105mm AF, 250 $) and buy good lens later? Or Are there any other cheaper brands for lenses where I can use with any of these Nikons easily (also in the future)?

Thanks for your assistance

Hamdi Hakan

That's alot of questions! For film cameras, the F100 is hard to beat. With so many people selling them for DSLR's these days, you could probably pick up a good used one for $600 or a new one for well under a grand after all of the rebates (at least in the US). The D70 looks really good but I don't know how much real-world experience is out there yet with it. A few people have them and report that they're impressed. From my experience with the Fuji S2, the smaller "APS" sized sensor is just fine for large prints. Excellent digital B&W can be done with great results but it will take even more of a learning curve to get there than with color.

I have the 28-105 and been very happy with it but no experience with the 24-120. I hear the Tokina 28-80 f2.8 PRO is a great choice too. Go for the 28-105 and save some money for some of Nikon's killer primes like the 45 f2.8P and 85 f1.4!

Pragmatic

Quote Originally Posted by Hahabas
    I am into photography mostly B&W on enviromental nudes (Fav. Artists:Herb Ritts,Bruce Weber,Mario Testino,Avedon etc.) and Urban stories (Potraits, Architectural settings) type of photography. I am looking to buy a Nikon; but which one will suit my needs with 1000 $ (1200$ max) budget (inc. or excl. lens)? F100 , N(F)80 or new D70 ? I have used manual cameras such as FM2 in the past. Howewer, now I want to switch to something reliable, quick, with good built quality. I am very new to Digital cameras,This new D70 is good enough to make such photography (see above)? Or digital cameras are not good enough for B&W photography ? Some say image size sensor is limited on Digital ones (23,7mm-15,6mm) compare to regular SLR (where image sensor size is about 24mm-36 mm) How does this effect on the results of such photography ?

About the lens, I am going to buy lens for this new equipment. I have suggested to go for 24-120 mm for the beginning.
    This is where I started to get confused; bec 24-120 Nikon lens cost about 650-700 $, F100 is about 800$ (in a good deal), Together is too much for me. But If I go for N(F)80 for 245 $ (on sale at infinitycameras.com) plus good lens such as Nikkor 24-120mm. What would be the result like ? Or Just got for new D70 with bundled lens and buy good lens later time. Same for F100 with regular lens (buying with 28-105mm AF, 250 $) and buy good lens later? Or Are there any other cheaper brands for lenses where I can use with any of these Nikons easily (also in the future)?

Thanks for your assistance

Hamdi Hakan
    Nobody has seen a D70 so far. With the kit lens I doubt if it will come in under 1200$. I would say leave that option aside for the time being.

I have both the F100 and the F80. I prefer using the F100 - better feel, flash sync at 1/250, bigger body to support big lenses. But in terms of results, there's no real difference between the F80 and the F100 so if you're on a budget, you might as well go with the F80.

I have never tried the 24-120 so I can't comment on it. My personal feeling is that in black & white, you need an excellent lens for definition and contrast. I would look first at the 50mm f1.8 which is inexpensive and provides results beyond criticism.

Charles

I'd try to better understand which features you need from a lens and body. To me, the reason to upgrade from an N-80 to an F-100 is the need for a faster flash-sync, need for a better AF sensor, or need for better backward compatability with older lenses. These seems to be the most frequently cited reasons I hear, when people decide to switch. These, aside from the fact that many people just love exquisitely well made camera bodies.

I really need the higher sync rate, but have been putting off the upgrade, since I think F-100 prices will continue to fall. Of course, I could be waiting a long time.

Really, if you don't have a specific need that is not met by the N-80, I'd probably opt for the N-80, along with an MB-15 battery converter/grip.

Lenses are a more difficult question. I'm a big fan of primes, especially at longer focal lengths. The 24-120 VR is pricey. You could probably get a 28-105 Nikkor zoom (one of my favorites), and one or two really nice Nikkor primes for about the same price (50mm 1.8, 60mm 2.8 micro, 85mm 1.8). Zooms are great, but you really never learn to shoot through a specfic focal length.

Anyway, N-80 w. grip, Nikkor 28-105 --the jack of all trades lens, and one or two of the three prime lenses mentioned above. That would be my choice. You'll probably also want a flash unit.

--Jeff

GB1
    Hahabas,

There's not really any difference in cameras when it comes to shooting B&W versus Color - film is just film to the camera. With lenses however, like Franglais mentioned, you might want to makes sure that it has sufficient contrast, as with B&W film contrast is pretty much your only weapon since objects are not differentiated by color.

I use an F-100 and Nikon 24-120 mm lens (*not* the VR version). The F-100 is a nice camera, no getting around that. It pretty much does everything I want, except that it doesn't allow you use the self time and do multiple exposures simultaneously. Its rugged, but I did have to get it repaired about 1 1/2 years after I had it because the internal motor winder was acting up (I purchased a 5-year warrenty). The only thing else that I could complain about it that it drains batteries too fast - you'll only get about 12-15 rolls out of a set of 4 AAs.

I'm not sure its the F-80 (I think so), but I've heard people say that it doesn't work with all the older manual focus Nikon lenses. If you're planning on using any of those, better look into that.

The 24-120mm zoom: WATCH OUT for this lenses distortion if you plan on using it for architectural scenes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO, it has way too much distortion at all focal lengths to be using it in the city (not so big a deal landscapes where there's few straight lines). Unless you like watching buildings and corners curve, that is.

I don't know about the VR version, but please check it out before you buy it. Hate to see anyone spend that much and be disappointed. To check it for distortion, look through the viewfinder at all the major zoom settings (e.g., 24, 35, 50, 75, 100, 120) and line up the side of the finder with the edge of a wall or something else staight (you can use the horizon if outside). Does it curve? If so, would that amt of distortion be acceptable to u in a pic?

Hope this helps -

GB

Quick and short. Your best to stick with an slr film camera over DSLR for B&W due to converting a color photo from a digital print into B&W; your going to lose picture quality everytime you have to "layer" your digital image. Esspecially if your going to sell your work. As far as cameras go, the ones you mentioned will all do the trick for the kind of photography your doing. It's just a matter of budget that you stated earlier. I own the nikon 24-120mm VR lens and have had no problems yet. Its an awsome lens. Erik

Quote Originally Posted by photoguy2004
    your going to lose picture quality everytime you have to "layer" your digital image. Esspecially if your going to sell your work.
    What the hell are you talking about?

I agree that for B&W film is the way to go, but I have NEVER in my years of working with digital images run into any image degradation issues from layering... Nor have I ever heard even rumours of it.
    Last edited by Sebastian; 03-20-2004 at 06:54 PM.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Camera?

I would think the most important thing as far as end results would be the film and the lens. Camera is just a box. I've printed black and white up to 16x20 using b&w film, color film scanned and converted in ps, and digital files shot in color and converted in ps and never had any problems, all look very nice, as far as printing/tones go.

Also, were you (photoguy) refering maybe to saving and resaving using jpeg files? Because I've heard about losing image quality that way, but not ever with layers.

adina

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    F100... meter, build, shutter rating, feel, QUALITY!!!!!!!!!

END OF STORY!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information