Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: Resizing help

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Resizing help

Bill,(w.slayman) has been trying to upload a portrait.
    It keeps coming up BIG so that only part of his face shows.
    We've been trying to figure out what is happening for a couple of days.
    It does measure 800x800 so it is not too big.
    Got a couple of hints in the moderator forum but we still haven't figured it out.
    His gallery shot show ok.
    Here is the link to the page his pic is on. You;ll know it when you see it.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...d=1#post395236
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Resizing help

Hope I dont see a giant pore LOL.

Edit....I think this is the right one and It shows OK in my screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Bill,(w.slayman) has been trying to upload a portrait.
    It keeps coming up BIG so that only part of his face shows.
    We've been trying to figure out what is happening for a couple of days.
    It does measure 800x800 so it is not too big.
    Got a couple of hints in the moderator forum but we still haven't figured it out.
    His gallery shot show ok.
    Here is the link to the page his pic is on. You;ll know it when you see it.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...d=1#post395236
    The original photo is not square but Bill says he resized it to 800x800. Why
    The image is also 180dpi which is way too much, and i think where the problem is.
    He should resize the original image by constraining the proportions, setting the dpi to 72 and then setting the longest side to 800.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I can't see anything wrong, Frog. My first thought was that he somehow cropped to size to get the 800x800, but what shows up isn't the center of the original??? - TF

EDIT - Cropped to edit, instead of resizing, may still be the answer. Anyone have Vista Pictures to see if it could end up this way? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Does that mean I uploaded the wrong file ?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Rob,

That is one of the two I have tried, so I guess it is the right one. I am going nuts trying to figure this problem out especially since I have extremely limited computer skills. Thanks for getting it on line.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRob
    Does that mean I uploaded the wrong file ?
    Here:

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...95233#poststop

or here:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...yman&mcats=all

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Thanks OC, I saw those two links earlier, but frog mentioned that on the gallery was showing OK, one of them is probably as you said cropped instead of resized. The other one that I posted seems to be OK, and seems it is loaded OK to WS gallery.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by w.slayman
    Rob,

That is one of the two I have tried, so I guess it is the right one. I am going nuts trying to figure this problem out especially since I have extremely limited computer skills. Thanks for getting it on line.
    No Problem...as others said probably you cropped instead of resizing, Dont know what software you are using but on some of them is confusing..I recall doing the same mistake, dont recall what software it was on or how the tools were labeled but it was misleading.
    What software do you have for PP?

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    The original photo is not square but Bill says he resized it to 800x800. Why
    The image is also 180dpi which is way too much, and i think where the problem is.
    He should resize the original image by constraining the proportions, setting the dpi to 72 and then setting the longest side to 800.
    Gary, this may be what I am doing wrong when I post pictures. Do you know where I can change the DPI setting in CS4? Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I´ve never change the DPI, or at least "intentionally" but I use from time to time "publish to web" feature on CS3. Might be worth checking it out for you guys that are trying to size down your pics.
    With this tool you have a live view of the file with different compression methods and amounts, also you can see up to 4 widows each with a different compression method and/or amount of compression along with its file size depending of the above settings. When you set the parameters that suit your needs, then you save it in one of the file extension of your liking.
    Its great great to see how each different compression method and amount affects the overall quality and weight of the final file. Hope that was clear.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Gary, this may be what I am doing wrong when I post pictures. Do you know where I can change the DPI setting in CS4? Jeff
    Jeff, you can go to "image"> Image size then you will see the resize window.
    keep the resample box checked and constrain proportions then enter 72 in the resolution (dpi) space first and then enter 800 (pixels) in the side (height or width) longest side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resizing help-screenhunter_01-dec.-19-12.06.jpg   Resizing help-screenhunter_02-dec.-19-12.07.jpg  

gary

Jeff, you can go to "image"> Image size then you will see the resize window.
    keep the resample box checked and constrain proportions then enter 72 in the resolution (dpi) space first and then enter 800 (pixels) in the side (height or width) longest side.
    I don't think that changing the DPI is actually doing anything to the digital image if you are doing it before changing the pixel resolution. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I will give you a general outline:

1) load you editing program

2) open the image

3) select image size or resize

4) select constrain Proportions and resample image

5) ignore document size and resolution at this time

6) change the longest photo dimensions to a 800 pixel value. NOTE: the units must be changed in all PhotoShop versions the pixels!

7) Excute

8) rename the file and save. Note if your program can calculate the file size, enable it and adjust the compression until the file meets the upload size.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    I don't think that changing the DPI is actually doing anything to the digital image if you are doing it before changing the pixel resolution. - TF
    If you change the pixel dimensions first, they will change again after you set the resolution.

You must set the resolution you want first, in this case for web display that would be 72 and then set the pixels to 800 on the longest side.
    If you set the pixel dimension first, the dimension will change after you set the resolution to 72.

However, if one is shooting jpegs or converting RAW files at a resolution of 72 then there is no need to reset the resolution..

In my case when I export RAW files to edit in Photoshop, I have LightRoom set to convert them to PSD files at 240 dpi. So, if I use Photoshop to convert them to a smaller web display version I must enter a new resolution first before changing the pixel dimensions

In Bills case (W.slayman) his gallery photo is 180dpi which is way too high for web display

gary

If you change the pixel dimensions first, they will change again after you set the resolution.

You must set the resolution you want first, in this case for web display that would be 72 and then set the pixels to 800 on the longest side.
    If you set the pixel dimension first, the dimension will change after you set the resolution to 72.

However, if one is shooting jpegs or converting RAW files at a resolution of 72 then there is no need to reset the resolution..

In my case when I export RAW files to edit in Photoshop, I have LightRoom set to convert them to PSD files at 240 dpi. So, if I use Photoshop to convert them to a smaller web display version I must enter a new resolution first before changing the pixel dimensions

In Bills case (W.slayman) his gallery photo is 180dpi which is way too high for web display
    But the DPI means nothing in digital. Dots Per Inch. What inch? The first image below is at 10 DPI; the second at 10,000 DPI. They're both just 652x800. - TF

EDIT - Maybe I'm missing something here - wouldn't be the first time??? - TF

Resizing help-dsc02431_10.jpg

Resizing help-dsc02431_10k.jpg
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

This has become more complicated than I thought and I'm still not sure what the trouble Bill was having is from.
    When I'm going to post something, I just resize it in Elements 6. The resolution is automatically at 240 and I don't pay any attention to it. Scale styles, Constrain proportions, and resample image are all checked at the bottom. Resample is set at bicubic
    Now I don't know what any of that means, except sort of the resolution.
    When I click save, I get a quality option slider which I set at 8 or 9 or it becomes too much information to load here. Below the slider I can choose Baseline standard or Baseline optimized or progressive. I have baseline optimized checked and don't know what progressive means.
    Ok..windows open when i pass over or click on those.
    Baseline standard: causes images to display in line by line passes on screen.
    Baseline optimized: standard format with optimized Huffman encoding. (what is huffman encoding)
    Progressive: causes images to display in multiple passes on screen.
    The three images below were saved at quality setting 9.
    The first is saved at standard, then optimized and then progressive. progressive is set at 3 passes and could be set at up to 6 I believe.
    I won't know if they look different here until I submit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resizing help-2009-07-18-a_3363-standard.jpg   Resizing help-2009-07-18-a_3363-optimized.jpg   Resizing help-2009-07-18-a_3363-optimized-progressive.jpg  
    Keep Shooting!

There are some differences but they are quite subtle.
    Keep Shooting!

It was the settings for the conversion in the FastStone software he is using. With the settings he said he used for Resize, Canvas and DPI, I got the same results. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Hey guys, this computer illiterate, does not understand anything yall are saying, but OldClicker got me straightened out and it seems to be working now. For now I as happy as a tick in deep fur. I can post photos, even if I do not know what I am doing. I still have no idea about PP, but maybe that will come with time.

Thanks to all who gave so much time to help me.

Please check my posts on the What inspires you, and on the site feedback.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

I saw your other posts, Bill, and you certainly are welcome. I'm just glad that I can sometimes help when something technical comes up since I cannot do a whole lot for the artistic side. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I said "ignore document size and resolution at this time" because it only applies to hard copy!! AND in most cases bigger is better! The web browser has only one resolution and it is determined by the monitor not DPI resolution. Photos can be displayed smaller than their pixel resolution but that takes HTML or Java coding in the web page.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Oldclicker, you are right in that the dpi means nothing in web display.There is an old rule of thumb that somehow got started that said web display images should be set at 72ppi because a monitor cannot diplay resolution any higher.
    I am from a printing mindset, as i do lots of it
    Never heard of FastStone software but glad you were able to resolve it for Bill.

Frog, all the versions look basically the same here on my screen but one thing to note is that not all web browsers will support progressive method.

gary

Thread Information