Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

remote for Nikon

Is it better to get a Corded Remote or a Wireless one? I have a Nikon D70s and have found both for this camera but don't really know the benefits of one or the other. Does anyone know if the wireless has a good battery? Should I get both? All help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: remote for Nikon

The advantage of a wireless remote is that you have no risk of camera movement and you can mount the camera in an area you otherwise couldn't even with a cable.

JS

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Do they both offer the same features? I thought about getting a wireless IR remote for my DRebel, but they wouldn't allow me to use the bulb setting. The corded shutter release I got, does. Also, there is a limited angle that you can use the IR remotes. The IR sensor for the Canons is on the front of the camera, so you have to be sure the remote can "see" the sensor which might put you in the picture. Just some things to think about.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The advantage of a wireless remote

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    The advantage of a wireless remote is that you have no risk of camera movement and you can mount the camera in an area you otherwise couldn't even with a cable.

JS

Also, there's no cable to trip over, pull your camera over, or get tangled up in.

Range of the wireless, and the angle you have to be at from the camera are a couple of things to consider as well.

But I think I'd opt for the wireless...
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Wired connections are going to be more reliable than wireless, although if you really learn the limits of the wireless you should be OK as long as you have it aimed correctly. I guess if you don't need the wireless than I'd stick with the one with the cable.

Thread Information