Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: RED EYE help

RED EYE help

can anyone explain why blue eyes always develop red and brown eyes stay the same??? thanks so much!!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: RED EYE help

Here's a link that explains what causes red eye. It doesn't explain WHY it's more prominent in people with light colored eyes tho.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glammgrl5
    can anyone explain why blue eyes always develop red and brown eyes stay the same??? thanks so much!!
    Hmm, I hadn't noticed that redeye only occurs with light eyes. Is that true?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glammgrl5
    Blue eyes do not have pigment. My guess is that the darker pigments block most of the reflection off the veins. Of course, I have seen red-eye with brown-eyed subjects as well, just not as vivid.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

My entire family have brown eyes, and I used my camera the other day at a party. Since it was in the dark, EVERYONE had very red-eyes. I don't think theres any truth behind brown eyes being more resistant.

On the subject, is there a program or easy way to reduce red-eye? Photoshopping is quite time-consuming for 100+ images

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Off camera flash will help to prevent red eye from happening. If you are using your cameras build in flash, there isn't much you can do about it. If you're using an auxillary flash, get a flash bracket and raise it up higher.

I don't know of any way to "batch" process the files to fix red eye, but the red eye took in PS works pretty good. You will just have to do one image at a time.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information