Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Microdrive format help

I had an old iPod and read somewhere the Hitachi Microdrive can be used as a storage device. I'm aware it doesn't work on the majority of cameras when formatted, but I want to use it through my PC to mass-backup images. I bought a media card reader and plugged my card in, and then I tried to format it with the HP USB Disk format tool, which said "there is no disk in the drive". So, I reconstructed my iPod and plugged it into the USB port and formatted it that way...it worked! So now when I plug it into my card reader, it still thinks there is no device there. However, if I use it through my iPod it easily finds it (as a blank drive, how I formatted it). I'd appreciate any help as to getting my Microdrive to work through the media card reader, as constructing the iPod is always too much hassle. Thanks.

Re: Microdrive format help

UPDATE: I've tried formatting it both as FAT and NTFS, but none are detected in the media card reader.

Thread Information