Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question about settings with moving subject...

I'm a newbie trying to learn how to use a new camera. Today I was tinkering around with settings and whatnot (as I do daily) and tried using the "sports" setting to get a shot of my daughter zipping around the living room with her baby stroller. I've taken countless shots of her using the flash, but it doesnt really depict "movement" and seemed rather boring to me. The shots I got today were somewhat puzzling. The background was really blurred (in a movement type way) but she was completely out of focus in every shot I took. I know I focused on her...so I'm not sure what I did wrong. Maybe I needed to be further away or maybe there wasn't enough light??? Perhaps the DOF was too shallow? Any help would be grately appreciated. I'm trying to get a "first steps" type of photo since she should be walking on her own any day now.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about.

Re: Question about settings with moving subject...

From looking at your profile, I take it you are using the kit lens? You might be to close to her. Are you also moving, panning, to catch the shot?

The picture does look bright enough.

I am not familiar with your camera, what other settings ISO, f stop so. I don't know what you can change in the "Sports" mode, just asking.

James

With this shot, it looks more like motion due to a slow shutter speed than because of a focus problem or a small depth of field.

You said "newbie" so I hope I'm not being too basic, but to increase the shutter speed you'll have to raise the ISO or use a wider aperture to keep the exposure correct (one counteracts another). Usually, you'd want to use the lowest ISO possible to avoid digital noise (makes a shot look "grainy") and of course if you use a wider aperture (smaller "f" number) you'll have a smaller depth of field. But if the goal is to have less motion blur in the shot, then the shutter speed is the #1 priority. Another option might be to make it brighter in the room, which would leave more options for the settings.

James - yes, I am using the kit lens. I've only had the camera less than 2 weeks, so I'm trying each setting just to see what it does and figure out what works best for different situations. I was panning very slightly...but I was really steady and the camera does have "Anti-Shake".

Here's the settings...

Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 60 mm
    ISO Speed: 400

I'm not familiar with the camera yet either..HA!

Another view....

Shutter speed seems to be a problem for me quite often. I was using a higher ISO since I was indoors without using the flash. The room seemed bright enough (one side of the living room is all windows - so early in the day it's pretty well lit). Perhaps not bright enough? I have noticed the brighter the light...the faster the shutter speed sounds. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm really new to all this and I'm just trying to capture decent photos of her as a keepsake. I know the kit lens can only do so much. I would like to get a prime 50mmlens (which seems to be the best lens for what I want to do). I was going to hold off until I "understand" the camera more, but maybe it would help solve some of the issues I've been having.

I appreciate the help

.2 secs is to slow for anything unless you have a tripod. Your shutter speed probably needed to be at least 1/125 or higher. Depending on the light. So you should have shoot at a higher iso, 1600 or higher.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Ah...thank you. I really didnt know what a fast or slow shutter speed really was. I've only used P/S camera, so this is quite a learning experience. Naturally, I assumed the "sports" setting would be a faster shutter speed since it's function is for moving subjects. I guess that's not the case here. I will try to change the shutter speed manually and she what happens. Thank you.

Experimentation is very helpful in situations like this. Try slower shutter speeds, with that focal length and the speed at which your subject moves, I'd guess that 1/40 or 1/50 second would be good and you'll get some background blurring, which is good for depicting motion.

When I'm panning, I've noticed that when the angle of my subject in relation to me changes drastically as I take the picture, the subject starts to blur too much.
    --Some of your blur is likely due to camera shake though, a rule of thumb I go by when panning handheld is 1/(focal length in mm)

So if I'm using a 50mm lens, which, on my camera body is like an 80mm, I will pan as slow as 1/80th of a second when handheld...a 20mm lens (equivalent to 32mm) I'll pan handheld as slow as 1/30 sec, about right for a running child who is close to the camera.

I guess what I'm trying to say is experiment, learn what works for you and don't give up!

At a typical track day (racecars...big kids I guess) I'll shoot about 400 pictures, yet only about 10% of my panning shots turn out. (And that's with lots of practice)
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Personally I really like the shot, it does tell the viewer that your daughter is cruising across the floor on a mission! I like low shutter speed shots like the one above. Check out a book called Understanding Shutter speeds, by Bryan Peterson. Keep at it! you will get what your after!
    Jimmy B

Quote Originally Posted by amberg
    Shutter speed seems to be a problem for me quite often. I was using a higher ISO since I was indoors without using the flash. The room seemed bright enough (one side of the living room is all windows - so early in the day it's pretty well lit). Perhaps not bright enough? I have noticed the brighter the light...the faster the shutter speed sounds. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I'm really new to all this and I'm just trying to capture decent photos of her as a keepsake. I know the kit lens can only do so much. I would like to get a prime 50mmlens (which seems to be the best lens for what I want to do). I was going to hold off until I "understand" the camera more, but maybe it would help solve some of the issues I've been having.
    The kit lens will let you take great shots, don't worry about that - but a "fast" 50mm lens might be a nice thing to have some day. As mentioned, 0.2 seconds won't freeze a lot of motion. A snail maybe, but not a toddler. And not that freezing motion is always what you want to do with it - lots of creative potential with it. But you might try something more like 1/8 or 1/15 to get a feel for it, in a case like this. ISO400 isn't particularly high (I do use 1600 when I need it) but don't go higher than that unless you need to.

You're right about the brighter the light, the faster the shutter speed (assuming ISO and aperture is the same). The brighter side of the room was opposite the camera, so her side is in shadow - meaning of course less light right there. And again, light at your back isn't always the goal and will often produce flat-looking images. Lots of experimentation and possibly some books (might want to check the library, Bryan Peterson is a good author as well as several others) would help. Learn one thing, then shoot with that idea so you really understand what it's all about. Build from there, and you're bound to have a great portfolio!

I'm with Jimmy here I really like the shot you posted. I know you were after something else though, so here is my little piece of advice, forget the program settings. Learn what your controls do and how they effect you final image. I'd approach this situation like I would a typical sports shot. I'd put the camera in aperture priority (with the widest opening the lens achieves, and adjust the shutter speeds and ISO until getting the results I'm looking for. It's so easy to check results with a DSLR you should still be able to get your shot before your daughter runs out of energy.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Mr. Yuck...
    Thanks for the explainations. I will try different settings as you suggested. I did figure out how to adjust the shutter speed today and noticed the differences explained here. However, it was extremely cloudy/grey today, so not much light in here. But, I will continue to tinker with that on a better day and see what settings work best. It's encouraging to know that even with a lot of experience, only a small % of your shots turn out. I certainly wont be giving up. While I dont have a lot of free time due to chasing around a toddler, I'm very much interested in learning whatever I can. Thank you.

Jimmy B...
    In a way....I kind of do like that shot. But I'm going to keep adjusting settings until I figure out how to do a similar shot but with her in focus more (and obviously from another angle so I can see her face). And yes, she's ALWAYS on a mission ;)

another view...
    I think I was just confused as to what a fast or slow shutter speed setting was. I did play with that a bit today...so I have a little better understanding of that now (not much..but better). I did notice the dramatic difference in the brightness (or should I say, darkness) when changing to a faster shutter speed. So, I changed the ISO and it helped but on such a cloudy day...anything 1600 or over looked terrible. I do forsee a trip to the library in the near future. Thank you for your suggestion.

Old Timer...
    I have noticed the program settings haven't been giving me the best results. I'm more confident in changing the settings manually now, so hopefully the sun will be out soon to bring a bit of light in here so I can try it again soon. I don't worry about her running out of energy as much as her running out of the room with the brightest light ;)

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I appreciate all the help I can get.

I like the shot but 1/5 of a second is to long. You will have to use a shutter speed between 1/125 to 1/25 of a second. Each time you increase the ISO 400-800 you half the shutter speed, also when you increase the F number (f 5.6 to F 8) one stop you double the shutter time (1/125 to 1/60).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

freygr...

Thanks for the info. I didnt know the F # changed the shutter time. I did try faster shutter speeds in the house....unfortunately, they all came out almost black. Not enough light. I just purchased a 50mm 1.7 lens last night online....maybe that will help with the low light shots? I take most of my shots indoors (until it warms up)....so I'm hoping the new lens will give me more keeper shots. Thank you for your help.

I like to recommend the site I have below for seeing how changing the settings on your camera will effect the picture. Play with the camera on this site and you can see how shutter speed, ISO and F stop changes the picture. Click on manual and then you can change each of the settings and see how they interact with each other, Jeff

http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I like to recommend the site I have below for seeing how changing the settings on your camera will effect the picture. Play with the camera on this site and you can see how shutter speed, ISO and F stop changes the picture. Click on manual and then you can change each of the settings and see how they interact with each other, Jeff

http://dryreading.com/camera/index.html
    Jeff that site is a great learning tool. I hope a lot more of the beginning photographers on the site will use it to become familiar with their camera settings.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Thanks so much for posting that site! It's great

Thread Information