Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Problems downloading new memory card

I got a new Sandisk Extreme 512mb card and am having problems transfering them over to my computer. I can review the pictures from my camera, but when I put the card into my reader, it does not reconize any of the photos to transfer(download) them. I have no problems with the other cards I have. My card reader is an inexpensive (Sandisk) one and I am wondering if that might be the problem. I have tried reformatting a couple times and have never tried to download them from the camera itself. Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Re: Problems downloading new memory card

I usually try to eliminate possibilities with a problem like this. I know Lexar has a card reader (the free one that ships with the pro cards) that will only recognize certain cards, but I'm not sure if Sandisk has anything like that - so that could possibly be a problem. If the computer can see the card itself - even if it can't see the files on the card - then this probably isn't the problem.

Also try downloading directly from the camera to see if that works.

I'll try that and hope it works. I've never tried downloading my pictures that way, so this should be interesting. Thank you for the response. If that dosen't work, I'll give Sandisk a call. They also have a very good tech support....at least that is what I have heard.

I'd say that's a good plan. That way you've tried a bunch of different things and they can tell you from that if maybe it's a problem with the card. Let us know how it goes.

Bummer

I just had a similar problem with a Canon A400. I think I've determined that the problem lies with my laptop's built-in SD card reader. So, for the first time, I actually loaded the software and downloaded directly from the camera. It was a useful learning experience and it worked fine. I don't think downloading from the camera is a reasonable solution, but it worked. I'm going to have to buy a new card reader for the long term.

Have you tried using a different card reader? I have had card readers go bad. And I've had them them be choosy about what cards they accepted. It even appears that the SD reader in my laptop is picky about what camera the files come from. It's confusing. Too many variables to sort out. But connecting via your camera's USB cord is pretty foolproof. That will get the images off your camera, anyway.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I I captain...

Thank you for the input. This is my second card reader. I am beginning to think that it is because it is an older, less expensive card reader and not equipt for the newer, larger, more high tech cards. I e-mailed Sandisk for help and am hoping to get a quick response. My reader does try to download the pictures, but they are a solid gray....no image. So I will see what happens. I will post my results for further reference if anyone else has the same problem.

Found the problem

After waiting for a response to my e-mail, I gave up and called. My hunch was correct. My card reader is not compatible with my new card - Extreme512mb. The reader (imagemate SDDR75) is not equipt to read the high tech card. I need to upgrade my reader to a 90 series. Whew, I'm happy it wasn't anything serious. Now I just need to go find a new reader.

Re: Found the problem

Just buy a generic everyday 8 in 1 usb 2.0 reader and be done with it. You don't need to buy named branded stuff. I haven't and I use 1G Ultra card without any problems.

Thank you Peter for the input. Sounds simple enough to do.

What is the difference between sandisk 1 gb compact flash card and sandisk 1gb extremeII secure digital cards? I got both hoping to use it w/d40??

Thread Information