Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Memory card issue

Hi I own a Minolta Dimage Z1 camera and recently bought a new 128mb SD Memory Card for it. I have been using it quite happily until yesterday when I filled the card up and wanted to take some more shots, I went through the ones on the card that I didn't want to keep and whilst it let me delete a few using my camera, it stopped on a particular image. It seemed to be trying to delete the image and wouldn't go any further! It just stopped responding. I tried everything I could to get it to move on or stop deleting, I tried every button on my camera and nothing would respond as if the camera was dead. After 10 mins I reluctently pulled the batteries out then put them back and switched the camera on again. Again I cannot get any function to work on the camera, the on-off button won't work or anything. Again I pulled the batteries out and then this time I put my 16mb SD Card in and everything works fine. There is obviously something wrong with the 128mb card, but can anyone tell me what I should do to recover the images on it and get the use of the card back. I have tried to upload to my PC but even that can't access the faulty card. Please help if you can, and send me me an email as to what I should do. Thanks everyone

have you tried using any recovery software to see if it can access the SD card. Something like www.datarescue.com has software that will allow this. Pulling the batteries out whilst the internal reader writer of the camera may have been accessing the card, has probably corrupted the File Allocation Table (FAT) of the card and that is probably why you can't access the card at all.

Hi, I have tried the recovery program but it doesn't see the card. When I put the card into my camera and switch on it is trying to access it but to no avail. The 'Busy' light keeps flashing but won't go any further.

I can't really help you with the situation, but you might have to send the card to the manufacturer. They should be able to fix it. In the future, like Peter says, be careful not to pull the card out while it's being accessed (light is on). Better yet, always turn the camera off (wait until the the card isn't being accessed, then shut it off). Once it's off, then pull out the card.

Next step would be to download all images on the card to your computer. What to do from there is a whole separate chapter of course... But when you put the card back into the computer, always format the card. Deleting images isn't the same thing, re-formatting is much safer. Others can explain the specifics of why, but I've been doing this since I first bought a digital camera and haven't lost any images.

One additional thing, while you're on this: Check Minolta's website, and make sure you have the latest version of the Firmware installed on the camera.

I'm no expert on the digital models, so you'll have to check your manual on how to do that. Have read plenty on the Minolta groups I frequent, though, about there being some 'file management issues' with the original Firmware, which has been corrected with updates.

And I'll agree with a-v, that it's best to re-format the card periodically, after saving the images from it. When doing individual picture deletions on the fly, you wind up with gaps in the files, which can cause problems. If you've ever run the Defrag on your hard drive, and viewed that initial analysis screen showing all the 'holes' in the file structure, you'll understand. Just think of the memory card as a small hard drive - as the basic file structure, and the cumulative effect of adding and removing files, is the same.

Re: Memory card issue

Hi, I've just bought a Dimage Z1, have not received it yet, and it's going to be my very first camera..I'm very excited about it. I've just got some good deal for the SD memory from ecost.com. 256 mb for only $10 and 512mb for only $32 after rebates!! if some of you need more memory, than you'll have to hurry up for that offer.
    I got myself a 512mb, wonder that's good enough and I'm just wondering, does the brand name of the SD memory card matters?
    I'm also looking for bettery charger and rechargeble batteries, what kind of batteries is recomended? is 2200 mAH good enough??
    Thanks

Thread Information