Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Problem Transfering Pics To Computer

Here's my problem. I have a 128mb SD card that has about 100 pictures on it as of right now. I am able to explore the SD card in windows and when the folder is viewed as 'thumbnails', I can see all the pictures clearly. I was able to transfer over about 30 of the pictures with no problems at all. However, when I try to copy of the rest, not only does the window in which the files are contained freeze for about a minute, I also eventually get an error when I try to view the copied file that either says "Incorrect parameter" or "Cannot copy File: Path is too deep".

I've tried many photo/data recovery programs with no luck. I find it very strange though that I can view the pictures as thumbnails but not be able to view the whole picture. Can anyone suggest anything that might help?

Re: Problem Transfering Pics To Computer

I had a similar problem last week with an SD card from my Nikon D50. When the card was inserted into my laptop I could see all the files but when I tried to copy (cut) them off the card the window would freeze and lock up the entire computer. I tried from the command line with no luck either. Just for the heck of it I got out the USB cable and connected to the camera and was able to pull them off just fine. I haven't yet tried the card directly yet since then. Can you connect to your camera via USB?

Re: Problem Transfering Pics To Computer

Check and see if there are updated drivers for you card reader. The memory cards are FAT 16 or maybe FAT32 for the larger cards. You can try to running a disk repair utility to repare the directory structure of the memory cards.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information