Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD

http://www.penncamera.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=7659

I'm not buying it there, but just as a reference.

I'm looking at this lens and i've started bidding on it on ebay. I've seen some reviews from some stores and I heard nothing negative except for the loud motor and slow autofocus.

What im wondering is, is the F4-5.6 how fast it autofocuses? If so, I can just use manual and get better faster focusing than say a a F2.8 lens?

Anybody use this lens? Any opinions, reviews?
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

Re: Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD

I saw the lens (a couple of versions) listed in the reviews section on this site but no reviews for it yet. In general I've heard very good things about Tamron's latest lenses, but don't own any so no personal experience. I do know that Nikon's 70-300 (with the ED glass) is a very good lens in this category.

Funny thing about speed; it has two meanings. F4-5.6 is the maximum aperture which doesn't have anything to do with the autofocus speed - well, not directly anyway. An f2.8 lens may focus faster but that's probably because a lens in the 70-200 f2.8 range is built more for speed. However, the maximum aperture is also referred to as the "speed" of the lens. An f2.8 lens is faster than an f4 or f4-5.6. The two numbers mean it's a variable aperture lens, 70mm at f4 to 300mm at f5.6. Nothing wrong with this but a pain if you're shooting in manual mode; just one more thing to keep an eye on - zooming changes your aperture.

A lens in the f4-5.6 range would be considered slow for low light work. F5.6 is the slowest maximum aperture that works fairly well with AF so the closer you get to it the more problems you may run into with focusing speed and accuracy. In normal cases, this won't be a problem. Hope this makes sense!

Well I'll be wanting this lens for horse racing shots from a distance because I can't get close t o the gate. And I'll be wanting it for some light sports shots. I don't have a couple grand to dish out on a F2.8 lens

Most of my sports shots will be on sunny days. I have a F3.3 lens right now but it's only 28-80. It's fast enough for the sports I currently do, and I'm guessing the step up to 4.0 isn't that much difference.
    Nikon D50

i actually just picked this lens up in the system i bought over the weekend .... I have the D50 with this lens and the sigma 18-50mm ... I am new to the DSLR scene ... So I don't know a "good" lens from a "bad" lens ..

The motor does make more noise when focusing... The 60 or so pics I have taken with it so far were outdoors of my cousin standing still (she is looking for some senior pics for high school and it gave me an opportunity to try it out)

The focusing doesn't seem bad ... unless your going from one extreme to the other it seems to take a little bit ... nothing drastic .. but a longer time than the sigma 18-55 does to go from 1 extreme to the other ... but remember you are also going a much greater distance ...

I haven't had an opportunity to try any sports or anything (hoping to get out to the velodrom tomorrow for the bike races and see what it does)

So far the shots I have taken have been of great quality I just need to learn to take more time in getting the right shot ... alot of good things have been said here about the tamron lens and the local shop I bought my equipment at had nothing but good to say about their lens.. the shop sold cannon / nikon / sigma / tamron lenses that i seen ...

Here is one of the shots I took with this lens ... be kind I am new to the DSLR world ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD-kate.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Proctor
    I'm guessing the step up to 4.0 isn't that much difference.
    F4 is only about 1/3 stop slower (remember the two meanings...) than f3.3 - but when you're zoomed out to 300mm, f5.6 will be 1-1/3 stop difference. During the day it should still be fine. Things that move in a predictable pattern are easier on an AF system, even car racing where the speeds are much faster. My Fuji S2 did pretty well with car racing one time - I was using an 80-200 f2.8 but the AF system sure can't be any faster.

If it is for a Nikon (guessing by your link), then check out a used 80-200 f2.8. There are several versions and I have the two-touch version (turn ring to zoom instead of push-pull) with a tripod mount. It's a great lens and should be in the $4-500 range used. The latest 70-200 with VR is about three or four times that price.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, but I'm looking not to spend over $300, as I don't really have money right now
    Nikon D50

I have the Full Frame, Micro version of this lense that I use with my D70. The autofocuse is not as fast as the Nikon 18-70, and is nosier also. I use it to shoot hunter jumper, and I'm very happy with the results if I do my part. My feeling is you will want longer lense that 300mm unless you are within 100-200 feet of subject if you want full fame.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information