Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Old flash unit w/new dig camera

Hi
    I have a new Olympus E520 DSLR and a about a 10 year old Kalimar T36 flash unit. Can I use them together and if so what settings should I use"? The flash unit has a calibration for different film speeds and different f stops to use. I have tried using them together and the flash gets activated by the hot shoe in the camera when the camera is set on automatic.
    I would like to use this flash if possible because of its power, features for wide,normal and 2 telephoto settings, plus it swivels and can use bounce flash. I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback.
    Thanks

Re: Old flash unit w/new dig camera

Quote Originally Posted by image4u
    Hi
    I have a new Olympus E520 DSLR and a about a 10 year old Kalimar T36 flash unit. Can I use them together and if so what settings should I use"? The flash unit has a calibration for different film speeds and different f stops to use. I have tried using them together and the flash gets activated by the hot shoe in the camera when the camera is set on automatic.
    I would like to use this flash if possible because of its power, features for wide,normal and 2 telephoto settings, plus it swivels and can use bounce flash. I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback.
    Thanks
    I found one place on line that said the trigger voltage for that camera is below 12 volts. If I were to guess I would say the flash is much higher and would probably ruin the camera if you tried it. If you can find out the trigger voltage of the flash and it is below the 12 volt level it looks like it would be OK, but if you don't know for sure I wouldn't risk taking the chance, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If the trigger voltage is within the specs for the camera you will have to use it as a manual flash. The camera may not be able to control the power of the flash like the current flashes.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Everything is doable, but as mentioned above you need to know if it is going to be compatible or risk damaging your camera.

For external flash, I'm using an old vivitar flash (originally for a Pentax) with my Nikon D40, I connect them both via a cable, attached to the camera's hot shoe and a connector in the flash.

I shoot in manual mode, guess at the exposure and shoot multiple times until I get things right.

i have three older Vivitar flashes and two of them have a trigger voltage over 200 volts each, so be careful, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would sure check the specs on any older flash before connecting it directly to the camera or my radio triggers. Small 3volt coil relays with 10amp contacts are very inexpensive and it is easy to make an isolator to keep those unknown voltages out of the camera circuits. I will see if I can draw and post a simple schematic this weekend.

Phil

CaptainPenguin posted this link during the same sort of discussion in the Nikon forum

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

It says the Kalimar is OK for Canon EOS
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I think your best bet is to contact Canon just to get their opinion. They may try and discourage it and may remind you that using equipment that's not recommended could result in voiding any remaining warranty.

My feeling is that film stuff is for film, digital for digital. Lenses are really the exception. I agree that if it's w/in the trigger voltage you're probably okay. But in this age of eBay, why not just play it safe and sell it, then get a flash that is designed for your camera.

Here is a simple schematic for a relay isolator that limits the voltage to the camera to 3 volts. I found the relays on EBAY.

DSC00005PS

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm surprised a relay acts fast enough, particularly on only 3v.
    I would have thought a semiconductor solution would be more suitable.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I'm surprised a relay acts fast enough, particularly on only 3v.
    I would have thought a semiconductor solution would be more suitable.
    Most relays have the activation time listed in the spec's. Unless you are purchasing High current power relays the small relays activate 1 to 8 Milli second which which falls well within most shutter sync. settings. 1/60-1/250 sec (the duration of the flash time is very short 1/10,000 second or less).

NOTE: 16.66 msec is 1/60th of a second.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I posted this in the lighting section, but thought it should be in this thread too.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Phil

A solid state isolator would take several components. Not very difficult, but a relay is quick and easy. I plan to fit it into a 35MM plastic film can.

Phil

Thread Information